PDA

View Full Version : CM HAF932 w/ Thermalchill PA160

ohms
06-11-2009, 11:33 PM
Is there any to install this internally where the front fan intake is if I was to remove some of the hard drive mounting brackets?

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/upload/product/2810/gallery/full/9.jpg?397477295

Camaroz06
06-12-2009, 05:15 AM
I dont have the case but looking at the picture I think you would have to lose most of the hard drive brackets, maybe 4 of them?

Angmaar
06-12-2009, 05:24 AM
You could dremel off the whole cage and use 5.25 to 3.5 converters for the hard drives.

ohms
06-12-2009, 05:43 AM
Yeah I thought about that but unfortunately all my bays are filled in my rig with my Bluray burner, EK dual 5.25" res, lamptron fanbus and the Sentry LX.

After some thought I figure that I can pop the rivets out that hold down the hard drive cage and remove it just in case I ever want to use it again and mount my 2 internal raptors on the opposite side of the 5.25" cage vertically and I would have to cut a 120mm x 120mm hole for ventilation for the hard drives and use an AC Ryan Radgrillz I have laying around.

I posted here in the Computer Case section asking to advice on modding.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=226964

The great thing about mounting the hard drives there is that there are already pass thru holes that I can send the power and sata cables through. Although I have no idea yet on how I would mount the hard drives vertically their sides short of tapping holes so I can screw them in on the other side holding them in place. I would definitely have to find some kind of material to prevent contact with the chassis and PCB of the hard drive to prevent short circuiting :(

I'm ultimately planning on putting a Black Ice GT 240 on the top, Black Ice GT 120 on the rear and the Thermochill PA160 where the HD cages sit. All in push/pull configurations.

I'm trying to avoid external mounting at -ALL- costs.

Apologizes for the wall of text.

SoulsCollective
06-12-2009, 05:57 AM
*snip*
Sounds like much the best solution. Re the short issues, I'd do as you're thinking and screw them to the side via the holes on the bottom of the drives, but get a thin sheet of neoprene or other insulation material (you can get sticky-backed) and put that on first, not just to avoid shorting the PCB but also to go a ways towards reducing the transmission of vibrations mounting the drives like that will otherwise cause.

And dude - that was by no means a wall of text. It even had paragraphs! Containing sentences all related to the same topic! By the standard of the average postings at XS, that's practically Shakespeare :p:

ctsoccer13
06-12-2009, 06:40 AM
I think we discussed this in a different thread. Maybe it was someone else...

Regardless, I think the best bet is to relocate the HDD trays. There is a post/build log floating around of someone with a HAF who drilled out the rivets holding in the HDD tray and relocated it about an inch to the left (towards' the motherboard). If you have everything installed, you'll see there's a lot of room, at least 2 inches, between the HDD tray and the motherboard location as it is.

So, if you're wanting to maintain the complete usability of your case, that's probably the best solution. If you're worried about air flow through the tray, add or expand some of the holes.

ohms
06-12-2009, 07:18 AM
I think we discussed this in a different thread. Maybe it was someone else...

Regardless, I think the best bet is to relocate the HDD trays. There is a post/build log floating around of someone with a HAF who drilled out the rivets holding in the HDD tray and relocated it about an inch to the left (towards' the motherboard). If you have everything installed, you'll see there's a lot of room, at least 2 inches, between the HDD tray and the motherboard location as it is.

So, if you're wanting to maintain the complete usability of your case, that's probably the best solution. If you're worried about air flow through the tray, add or expand some of the holes.

I don't think this is an option for this build as I am going to need at least 5-6" for the 120mm fan, shroud and the PA160 from he front of the case to the end of the rad if I was the only use 1 shroud and do a pull config.

ctsoccer13
06-12-2009, 07:30 AM
Hose the shroud and use a 160mm fan :D

ohms
06-12-2009, 07:43 AM
lol, I'd have no way to mount the beast of a radiator then. :)

ohms
06-12-2009, 12:25 PM
Sounds like much the best solution. Re the short issues, I'd do as you're thinking and screw them to the side via the holes on the bottom of the drives, but get a thin sheet of neoprene or other insulation material (you can get sticky-backed) and put that on first, not just to avoid shorting the PCB but also to go a ways towards reducing the transmission of vibrations mounting the drives like that will otherwise cause.

Would Akasa Paxmute II Noise Reducer work good for this? Is it hardware friendly in direct contact? Is it heat resistant? :D

CedricFP
06-12-2009, 06:05 PM
I am looking for a 160mm (or a 140mm shroud) fan so that I can mount my spare 160 in my case without the shroud. With the shroud it is just a beastly size.

Waterlogged
06-12-2009, 11:27 PM
Would Akasa Paxmute II Noise Reducer work good for this? Is it hardware friendly in direct contact? Is it heat resistant? :D

It'll work but, Mcmaster has something better (http://www.mcmaster.com/#9311k133/=2an96f). They work amazingly well and they'll raise the drives up and away so they'll get some airflow underneath and they won't short out. ;)

ohms
06-13-2009, 01:30 AM
Ah very nice.. These will do nicely, thanks Waterlogged.

Are these obtainable from Home Depot?

Waterlogged
06-13-2009, 03:54 AM
Not that I'm aware of.:(

ohms
06-13-2009, 05:24 AM
Doh! Maybe I can find some other type of rubber grommets and use those instead. But thanks for the idea Waterlogged.

ohms
06-16-2009, 07:54 PM
I got my Black Ice GT 120 and 240 mounted in my HAF but I haven't not yet removed the HD cage to mount the PA160 and shrouds since I have absolutely no idea on where to put my 2 internal hard drives. All of my 5.25 bays are all filled up and my idea to mount them on the sides of the 5.25 bay didn't work out to well since I have no idea how to mount them without getting in the way of the screw holes.

Only other thing I can think of doing is to get a 2.5" SSD and putting my 2 current hard drives in external cases (which I'd rather not do).

Any suggestions?