PDA

View Full Version : static electricity

Snowman
08-08-2002, 09:41 AM
has anyone had static kill any of there hardware? i've never had it happen to me but i just wanted to know if ya'll have ever lost card or mobo to static.

also do any of you wear wrist straps or touch a metal object or do u not do anything?

sjohnson
08-08-2002, 11:07 AM
Funny, I've lost high-end UNIX server parts (Sun and HP) but never lost a PC part. Sometimes I use a wrist strap but usually do this trick: Plant my feet where they need to be, touch a bare-metal ground point, then don't move those feet!

BTW, love the avatar. mmmm pie!

Smizack
08-08-2002, 08:29 PM
I've never lost a thing. And I've worked at hundreds of peoples houses and most had carpet.

IFMU
08-08-2002, 08:45 PM
Well I have as yet to loose a part to static. Mostly due to punching it or something along those lines.
I dont own a wrist band personally, but Im sure if I was to do stuff at some job or someone elses house and I was getting paid, Id prolly do it just to be on the safe side.
But otherwise, I just basiclly do what sjohnson there said.
Well, minus the not moving part.. heh... Im to figgity to stay in one place.. LoL

TheDude
08-08-2002, 10:07 PM
I use the same "touch to ground method" but the thing with static is it can cause a part to fail days or weeks or even months down the road from when it happened. Ever had a part fail for no reason? Might have been static.

Snowman
08-10-2002, 09:57 PM
that explains why vid card died :(

maybe i should get a strap to wear...

TheDude
08-10-2002, 10:03 PM
It could have been. People don't take it too seriously because it doesn't always happen right away and when something fails "for no reason" they don't make the connection.

stompah
08-19-2002, 01:12 PM
I have noticed that my broken parts list has shrunken since I have stopped using a wrist strap. I think the strap itself bothers me and I may bounce things around when usually I dont.

I prefer the one hand/foot on a metal ground. Seems easier practical and more mobility.