q9650@4.2 with an apogee gtz
4870 with mcw-60 / standard heatsink and backplate
4870x2 with FC block
mcp655 @ setting 5
2x mcr120
mcr220-qp
mcres-micro
4x noctua nf-p12
Everything on one loop that fits into a tj-09bw. It's tight but it works.

Temps are too high since I added the 4870x2. It used to be fine and I could overclock the gpu but now I can't and I need to watch out for long sessions of gaming or I get crashes. I need to lower my temps and I want to change my loop.

My plan is to get this:

mcr320
mcp655
3x noctua nf-p12
2 compression fittings

and to run that outside of the case for the CPU only and keep the existing loop for the GPU (3 gpus, 4 fans, 480mm of rads). Eventually, I'd like to move to different case where I can run two loops internally (pinnacle 24?) on a triple and replace the multi rads for a single quad rad. This purchase would sort of bridge the gap until the 32nm cpus when I am planning to upgrade mobo/cpu/ram and re-do the loop.

Is this the best use of my money to bring acceptable cooling to the table? Should I just add a single 320 rad to my loop and call it a day? Will the mcp655 handle it? Should I go push-pull on that mcr320? What about shrouds/push-pull? I'm worried that adding another 6 fans will make this just too noisy for my tastes...

Should I instead go for a lower restriction rad (let's say monsta 420 with 3x 140mm fans) and run it on the same pump? Looking for input!

Also, I'm thinking that by using an external radiator, I will be able to place it on the window sill this winter and get some crazy temps :) It just seems like the best compromise at this time. Peltiers and evaporative cooler also look nice but I don't have access to running water and running a peltier will require even more cooling anyway... I'm staying watercooled for the moment!

edit: Also, is it worth it to add a custom top? I've found this one for 53$CAD but it is expensive... (http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=34728)
My current total for pump/rad/fittings is around 210$CAD before taxes/shipping. Can anyone suggest a better alternative?

Fragger
06-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Quick question? I counted 7 questions in your post..........LOL
Anyway add another mcr320 to your loop and dont bother with push pull as it is to thin to make any difference.

antiacid
06-10-2009, 02:32 PM
Quick question? I counted 7 questions in your post..........LOL

I'm sneaky like that :)

Thanks for the input! And I know that the 4870x2 is a furnace but I guess I underestimated it at first :P

so, mcr320 with 3x nf-p12 and an extra pump/res for an additional loop it is then...

antiacid
06-11-2009, 06:31 PM
Everything is installed and I'm currently purging the loop while running prime95/blend to see what temps are like :P

Everything is between 30c and 50c, sounds pretty good! I ended up with triple + single on the 4870x3 and double + single on the cpu. Next step, video test and then more overclocking!