PDA

View Full Version : Will I benefit from an MCP355 over my MCP655?

Monkeypillow
06-09-2009, 10:28 PM
I've been doing a lot of reading and it seems that the general consensus is that an MCP355 with a custom top will do better with a more restrictive loop than the MCP655 will. If I understand correctly, this is due to the added head pressure of the MCP355 with a custom top.

When I fist started with this setup, all I had was an MCP655 with an EK top (for better layout and looks) pushing though a Swiftech Apogee GTZ. Since then, I've added a pair of Swiftech MCR60s to the mix. I may, at a later date, add an EK full cover block for the EVGA classified.

Another reason I'm considering the change is the added benefit of being able to have a reservoir directly connected to the pump, simplifying the layout. It also seems that with the MCP355's impeller housing also being the base, more mounting options are possible.

NaeKuh
06-09-2009, 10:33 PM
on a GTZ i doubt u'll notice anything.

Martinm210
06-09-2009, 10:35 PM
I've been doing a lot of reading and it seems that the general consensus is that an MCP355 with a custom top will do better with a more restrictive loop than the MCP655 will. If I understand correctly, this is due to the added head pressure of the MCP355 with a custom top.

When I fist started with this setup, all I had was an MCP655 with an EK top (for better layout and looks) pushing though a Swiftech Apogee GTZ. Since then, I've added a pair of Swiftech MCR60s to the mix. I may, at a later date, add an EK full cover block for the EVGA classified.

Another reason I'm considering the change is the added benefit of being able to have a reservoir directly connected to the pump, simplifying the layout. It also seems that with the MCP355's impeller housing also being the base, more mounting options are possible.

Maybe a measureable flow rate gain, but not likely a measurable temperature gain.

I wouldn't do it for performance alone, only if you were wanting to for running two loops or some other reason.:up:

Monkeypillow
06-09-2009, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. If I were to upgrade blocks in the near future, it'd likely be something like the Heatkiller 3.0, which is less restrictive (I think) than the GTZ, so I shouldn't have any problems. I do really enjoy the level of noise this thing puts out, though -- much better than the pumps of years ago.

What does anyone think of something like the UN Designs pump brackets for more mounting possibilities? I'd still like to use something to dampen vibrations, though. I'm not sure how I'd incorporate that (something like Petra's gel stuff) and the pump brackets. Any ideas?