PDA

View Full Version : measuring the resistance in a pot

solo
11-15-2003, 12:44 PM
hi guys, im relatively new to vmodding, and i was wondering how to measure the resistance in a 15-turn 1k cement pot because im going to be vmodding my ic7 soon :)

ill be using the hipro method btw

PiLsY
11-15-2003, 04:04 PM
Hi there :).

Its really very simple.

A POT has 3 pins - the centre one is always connected and can be concidered a ground. Whichever of the 2 outside pins you connect will make no difference except to the direction you turn the pot.

I suggest snapping off one of the outer pins to ensure youd ont measure resistance off one pin then mistakenly connect the other - what is maximum resistance for pin 1 would be minimm for pin 3.

Ok, on to measurement. Snap one of the outside pins off. Connect your multimeter to the 2 remaining pins. Set your reading range on your multimeter according to the rating of the pot (1k, 10k, 20k 47k etc). Turn the dial on the pot and watch the reading change - simple.

Always have your pot set to max resistance when connecting up a vmod.

Hope that was helpful :).

PiLsY.

solo
11-15-2003, 06:45 PM
max resistance O_O!

i think i will set it at 330, as that is what is recommended

thanks pilsy you have been uber helpful :D

I(illa Bee
11-20-2003, 11:03 AM
Remember! When your mesureing the resistance of a pot, (Ohms) When your multimeter is reading a high number. That means almost no voltage is going to pass tru it to the source. In your case 950-1050Ohms (depending the the POT qualit)

Alot of people think they need to set there pot to "0" or as close as they can get to "0" to start there mod. "0" mean ZERO resistance and you willl be running the Smoke test before a 3dmark. If you catch my drift.

X-Ecutioner
11-23-2003, 05:58 AM
i bought a 2 50k pots for a vmod ... checked them some days ago... one goes up to 51k the other 1 is maxed out at 45 :/

piece of crap poti

gota calculate how much volts 45kohm will be...

... maybe this should be sticky...

but dunno

X