PDA

View Full Version : Iphone 3Gs

02wrxgt30r
06-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Iv been wathing a live blog from the keynote of WWDC and here are all the new features of the Iphone 3Gs (start from bottom and read up SORRY )

to be honest I was expecting a few more advanced features(mainly Oled screen) but they have fixed all of my complaints so ill be picking one up

"12:02 pm A robot camera thinks the iPhone is the same as before, but then the new features are briefly highlighted (mainly video capture).
12:02 pm Showing a new ad.
12:01 pm In the US, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, UK. A week later, 6 more countries. Many more to come this summer
12:01 pm The iPhone 3GS will be available on June 19th.
12:01 pm The iPhone 3G 8GB will be available for $99 today.
12:00 pm Apple wants the iPhone to be more affordable. The existing 8GB iPhone 3G will remain -- for $99.
12:00 pm Those are AT&T prices for new and qualifying customers; may vary elsewhere. Comes in black and white, as before.
11:59 am $199 for 16GB, $299 for 32GB.
11:59 am Ships with iPhone OS 3.0 for $199.
11:58 am Most eco-friendly iPhone yet -- arsenic-free glass, BRF-free, mercury-free LCD, etc.
11:58 am Improved battery life. Now up to 9 hours of internet surfing, 10 hours of video, 30 hours of audio, 12 hours of 2g talk-time, 5 hours of 3g talk-time.
11:57 am Instant remote wipe, encrypted iTunes backups.
11:57 am Something business have asked for -- data encryption, which iPhone 3GS supports.
11:56 am Support for Nike+
11:56 am New accessibility options -- VoiceOver for content and controls, zooming, color inversion, mono audio, etc.
11:55 am New compass app shows your orientation, integration with Maps -- if you double click, the map will reorientate itself.
11:55 am Also -- a digital compass.
11:55 am You can also ask "what's playing now?" and it will tell you. Or say "play more songs like this" and a genius playlist will be built.
11:54 am With the iPhone 3GS, you hold down the home button for a second and a voice control interface is brought up. Simply say things like "Call Scott Forstall" -- if there are more than one entries, it will ask which one you wanted (i.e. home, office, etc) -- or "play The Killers"
11:53 am There is an API for video too, which allows developers to integrate video capture into their apps. Next -- voice control.
11:52 am The videos live alongside photos in the same application. You can scrub a video and edit it too. You can share the video right from your iPhone 3GS to YouTube, MobileMe, MMS, and email.
11:51 am The camera application has a switch that lets you swap between still photo and video mode. 30FPS, VGA with audio, auto-focus, auto-white balance, auto-exposure.
11:50 am Developers can take advantage of the camera too. But the best thing is -- it also captures video.
11:50 am Also features tap-to-focus. Tap on the part of the photo you want to focus, and it automatically does so. Automatically handles exposure and white balance. Better low-light sensitivity as well. Also, auto-macro -- as close as 10cm away.
11:49 am Vastly more pictures on Flickr from iPhones than any other phone. Now featuers 3MP auto-focus camera.
11:48 am Also has amazing features -- brand new camera.
11:48 am Supports OpenGL|ES 2.0 -- great for games. Supports 7.2Mbps HSPDA.
11:47 am 2.1x faster to launch Messages, 2.4x to load SimCity, 3.6x faster to load an Excel attachment, 2.9x faster to load a large website.
11:47 am No front-facing video camera. The insides are entirely new, but the outside appears the same.
11:46 am He's now ready to tell us about a new version of the iPhone -- iPhone 3GS. S stands for speed."
02wrxgt30r is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

moiraesfate
06-08-2009, 11:38 AM
Waste of money atm. I have better things to spend my money on. Like my trip to Dragon Con in September.

dany74q
06-08-2009, 11:44 AM
Fantastic phone.
That will definitely be my next upgrade from iPhone 3G.
The iPhone just keep going better and better.

DdotRoq
06-08-2009, 11:44 AM
I am selling my iPhone 3G unlocked for $300 to upgrade to the 3GS so its not too bad.

02wrxgt30r
06-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Ya not bad is understating it :D thats a free upgrade :up::up:

Andrea deluxe
06-08-2009, 11:55 AM
99$ without contract?

revenant
06-08-2009, 11:56 AM
I am selling my iPhone 3G unlocked for $300 to upgrade to the 3GS so its not too bad.

Good luck getting $300. well... I guess for an unlocked 3G 16gb that's not too far off base...

edit: the thing is, unlocking isn't too tough, and you can only get 3G speeds with the iphone on GSM networks which run the same frequency (not tmob), and with a $99 8gb 3G iphone new... and $299 for the 3GS... I think $300 is going to be a tough sale.

02wrxgt30r
06-08-2009, 12:27 PM
The only problem im having is the darn AT&T $500 security deposit :mad: it aint the money thats the problem its just the principle of it i guess

Im only 19 and dont really have any credit history so I have to pay the $500 but people with bad credit can get a way with the $100 something dollar deposit :stick: owell its the Iphone so :up: lol

Russian
06-08-2009, 09:54 PM
i was seriously laughing at all the crybabies who complained that their status symbol is now old news...

Generic user #2
06-08-2009, 10:26 PM
The only problem im having is the darn AT&T $500 security deposit :mad: it aint the money thats the problem its just the principle of it i guess

Im only 19 and dont really have any credit history so I have to pay the $500 but people with bad credit can get a way with the $100 something dollar deposit :stick: owell its the Iphone so :up: lol

you're going to pay $500 for the iphone? are you serious? damn...i'd kill to have that much money to blow...

Russian
06-08-2009, 10:39 PM
you're going to pay $500 for the iphone? are you serious? damn...i'd kill to have that much money to blow...

Its an apple product, he's probably used to spending too much for technology.;):p:

Envydia007
06-08-2009, 10:52 PM
omg here we go apple haters, not everybody likes BMW you know.

Russian
06-08-2009, 11:31 PM
omg here we go apple haters, not everybody likes BMW you know.

Except a BMW doesnt just look good, its well built, and its fast. Not to mention it uses the latest technologies and comes with a reasonable service plan. :rolleyes:

AzraelDarkangel
07-10-2009, 05:39 AM
Hmm.. upgraded from a 2 megapixel to a 3 megapixel camera when 12 megapixel camera phones are already out. They also should have used an AMOLED screen instead of the TFT. Should have added a Xenon and dual LED flash (like the upcoming Sony Ericsson Saito). AT&T makes you pay too much and the Apple is overpriced if bought unlocked. The only thing state of the art is maybe the software and the ARM cortex A8 is pretty nice, but I wish they had used the Nvidia Tegra. Oh well, I prefer more open software with less app restrictions than Apple.

I'm surprised the iPhone is so popular here. I figured with all the hardware tech geeks here that most of you would realize the iPhone is hardly state of the art compared to what's available in Europe and Asia. That and phone carriers are evil, you think you get the phones cheap by not paying much upfront but you are really paying more in the long run. They are doing that with netbooks now with 3g.

XS_Rich
07-10-2009, 05:44 AM
Hmm.. upgraded from a 2 megapixel to a 3 megapixel camera when 12 megapixel camera phones are already out. They also should have used an AMOLED screen instead of the TFT. Should have added a Xenon and dual LED flash (like the upcoming Sony Ericsson Saito). AT&T makes you pay too much and the Apple is overpriced if bought unlocked. The only thing state of the art is maybe the software and the ARM cortex A8 is pretty nice, but I wish they had used the Nvidia Tegra. Oh well, I prefer more open software with less app restrictions than Apple.

12MP cameras on mobile phones are the equivalent of manufacturers putting stupidly large amounts of RAM on low end graphics cards.

3-5MP is plenty for a camera phone, it's the lens / flash / sensor quality that they need to improve.

AzraelDarkangel
07-10-2009, 05:53 AM
12MP cameras on mobile phones are the equivalent of manufacturers putting stupidly large amounts of RAM on low end graphics cards.

3-5MP is plenty for a camera phone, it's the lens / flash / sensor quality that they need to improve.

I agree that the lens/flash/sensor need to improve. But megapixels still do make a difference. Also lenses are improving on the later phones with multiple ISO and F-Stops (read about the Nokia N86 for example or the Samsung Innov8).

3 megapixels is ok for casual photos but a bit low if you blow them up. 5-8 megapixels are really nice for almost anything if the lens/flash is good. 10-12 megapixels are better but only by a small margin in camera phones with the current tech. Lens/sensor quality is not sufficient at this point to go above 12 megapixels and only a small improvement over 8, but it may be in a year or two. I read many reviews and see all the comparison photos.

XS_Rich
07-10-2009, 05:59 AM
I agree that the lens/flash/sensor need to improve. But megapixels still do make a difference. Also lenses are improving on the later phones with multiple ISO and F-Stops (read about the Nokia N86 for example or the Samsung Innov8).

3 megapixels is ok for casual photos but a bit low if you blow them up. 5-8 megapixels are really nice for almost anything if the lens/flash is good. 10-12 megapixels are better but only by a small margin in camera phones with the current tech. Lens/sensor quality is not sufficient at this point to go above 12 megapixels and only a small improvement over 8, but it may be in a year or two. I read many reviews and see all the comparison photos.

I'll agree with you that 3MP is on the low side, but I've had digital cameras in the past that were only 3MP and could happily output A4 sized prints of excellent quality.

All other things being equal (flash, image processing, lenses etc.), I don't believe that anything better than about 5MP is noticeable for prints A4 sized or smaller. Certainly not noticeable on a computer screen. Certainly I would put good money on a 4-5MP decent digital camera from a couple of years ago knocking spots off the image quality of any 12MP cameraphone.

AzraelDarkangel
07-10-2009, 06:12 AM
I'll agree with you that 3MP is on the low side, but I've had digital cameras in the past that were only 3MP and could happily output A4 sized prints of excellent quality.

All other things being equal (flash, image processing, lenses etc.), I don't believe that anything better than about 5MP is noticeable for prints A4 sized or smaller. Certainly not noticeable on a computer screen. Certainly I would put good money on a 4-5MP decent digital camera from a couple of years ago knocking spots off the image quality of any 12MP cameraphone.

I would agree with you that a good digital camera produces better images than a higher megapixel cameraphone. Cameraphone pics tend to be darker and much noiser with worse color balance in comparison. There is a nice review to illustrate this:
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_m8910_pixon12-review-371p6.php
The Samsung Pixon12 (first 12 megapixel cameraphone) is inferior to a 4 year old Canon 350D 8 megapixel DSLR)

Gator!
07-10-2009, 06:25 AM
I <3 iphone....idc what you guys say....it is the best mobile phone bar-none...its so versatile...and the gui is the best....

AzraelDarkangel
07-10-2009, 06:54 AM
I <3 iphone....idc what you guys say....it is the best mobile phone bar-none...its so versatile...and the gui is the best....

The iPhone GUI is very nice and it's main strong point. It's popularity has also helped it's software/apps evolve quickly. Windows Mobile is clunky by comparison. Symbian is very versatile but old fashioned in comparison but improving quickly. Android is very nice but still needs more time to mature and evolve to really compete. The Palm Pre webOS is actually at now where Android should be and is currently the best competition and can also multitask, unlike the iPhone but is too new to have the range of apps available.