PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to make my tubing cloud up ?

3Z3VH
06-08-2009, 09:21 AM
After all these threads about tubing clouding, this may seem a bit odd, but does anyone know the best way to get a really nice clouded look to a tube ? I would refer that it is a very even look, not streaky, and not a lot of buildup at the barbs.

I am forming an idea for a design, but to do it, I need tubing that is white, yet still translucent, and I prefer the outside of the tubing to still be clear.

Kaldor
06-08-2009, 09:25 AM
Look thru Mc Master Carr. You can buy lots of opaque tubing.

millertime359
06-08-2009, 09:28 AM
Well, I used Crazypc's UV blue dye with a bottle of PC Ice and that clouded my Tygon 6303 up in a week. It seems to be pretty even. I still have some of the tubes, so maybe I can try taking a photo of it. The tube is UV reactive now. I flushed the loop with distilled water a few times and tube still glows a light blue under the UV lamp.

3Z3VH
06-08-2009, 09:38 AM
Look thru Mc Master Carr. You can buy lots of opaque tubing.

As mentioned, I do NOT want Opaque. I want Translucent. Big difference.

I also mentioned, I want the tubing itself to look clear, but the inside needs to be translucent white.

SNiiPE_DoGG
06-08-2009, 09:39 AM
Im my 3+ years watercooling I have NEVER seen clouded tubing that actually looked good, I would re-formulate your design to exclude this feature

Kaldor
06-08-2009, 09:59 AM
As mentioned, I do NOT want Opaque. I want Translucent. Big difference.

I also mentioned, I want the tubing itself to look clear, but the inside needs to be translucent white.

I gotcha now. Guess I need to read closer. I kind of see what your going after now. Kind of like frosted on the inside, clear on the outside.

matsjuw
06-08-2009, 10:11 AM
How about using some high grit sandpaper to make it cloudy?
Same way as it's done to acrylic.

zeroibis
06-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Interesting idea, take some sand paper to the tube and see how that looks!

YMAA
06-08-2009, 10:37 AM
You could get that look from the inside if you use a gun cleaning rod with sandpaper wrapped around it.

RoadconeTuning
06-08-2009, 11:00 AM
you could pee in it.

MrToad
06-08-2009, 11:07 AM
Im my 3+ years watercooling I have NEVER seen clouded tubing that actually looked good, I would re-formulate your design to exclude this feature

Agreed. It looks... filthy really. Specially the Tygon 3603.

It doesn't look aged, or period, or anything of the like. It just looks crap.

Brad8988
06-08-2009, 11:13 AM
Too much PT nuke will cloud it.

Brodholm
06-08-2009, 11:23 AM
The Xspc tubing looks cloudy from the start :p: maybe thats something to go with then?

3Z3VH
06-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Sandpaper is an idea... perhaps if I, instead use a sand-blaster (at a VERY low PSI, of course) it would be a bit more uniform... Hmm... I would think I would get particles of hose in the loop though.

The look I am going for is a lot like a flourescent light bulb. If you look closely, you can see the clear glass on the outside, but the inside is frosted.

Google, rescue me !

RoadconeTuning
06-08-2009, 01:00 PM
just find whatever is corrosive to the inside of the tubing you choose and fill it with that untill it "frosted". a mild acid maybe? just make sure to neutralize it when your done and rinse it as you would normally.

millertime359
06-08-2009, 02:09 PM
Sandpaper is an idea... perhaps if I, instead use a sand-blaster (at a VERY low PSI, of course) it would be a bit more uniform... Hmm... I would think I would get particles of hose in the loop though.

The look I am going for is a lot like a flourescent light bulb. If you look closely, you can see the clear glass on the outside, but the inside is frosted.

Google, rescue me !

You would have to flush it for sure. The best bet would probably get some scrap tube and try each one out.

I understand what you are looking for now. The staining from dyes won't cut it.

It seems if you could pull it off, would be pretty cool. Are you wanting to run dye in it, or just distilled water?

millertime359
06-08-2009, 02:11 PM
just find whatever is corrosive to the inside of the tubing you choose and fill it with that untill it "frosted". a mild acid maybe? just make sure to neutralize it when your done and rinse it as you would normally.

I think that would be a bit tougher finding an acid that would react to plastic and one that you could buy without any certification. :shrug:

3Z3VH
06-10-2009, 05:58 AM
You would have to flush it for sure. The best bet would probably get some scrap tube and try each one out.

I understand what you are looking for now. The staining from dyes won't cut it.

It seems if you could pull it off, would be pretty cool. Are you wanting to run dye in it, or just distilled water?

Just distilled, and maybe PTNuke, since I would no longer need to worry about it clouding my tubing ;)

millertime359
06-10-2009, 05:59 AM
Just distilled, and maybe PTNuke, since I would no longer need to worry about it clouding my tubing ;)

Sweet, let us know if it works or not

eth0s
06-10-2009, 07:54 AM
3Z3VH:

First: Why on Earth do you want clouded tubing? It looks like crapoola to me.

Second: Man, about 4 months ago I threw out about 9 feet of Tygon 1/2" tubing that was cloudy just like you want. If I'd known you like that stuff, I would have saved it for you. It only took about six months using distilled water mixed with 20% green anti-freeze.

3Z3VH
06-10-2009, 08:13 AM
If it is uniformly clouded, it doesn't look terrible, and what I plan to do with it will make it so you KNOW it was meant to look like that.

It is a lot like those people who intentionally make a computer case look like it was rusted and beat to heck to match their design idea for the case... sure, typically rust is ugly, unless that was the intent of the build.

If I can pull this off, the end result will be VERY good looking ;)

RoadconeTuning
06-10-2009, 09:52 AM
I think that would be a bit tougher finding an acid that would react to plastic and one that you could buy without any certification. :shrug:

ok, then how about mineral spirits or aircraft stripper? IIRC Aircraft stipper will even fux up aluminum...

Thrilla
06-10-2009, 11:05 AM
Coarse steel wool tied to 2 pieces of string so you can pull it from left-right

millertime359
06-10-2009, 11:38 AM
ok, then how about mineral spirits or aircraft stripper? IIRC Aircraft stipper will even fux up aluminum...

I can't remember how mineral spirits react to plastic. i would try, but I have none lying around LOL.

I also don't know anything about aircraft stripper.

Where do you get it from?:shrug:

Sadasius
06-10-2009, 11:57 AM
Do you want it like this or more? This is Tygon 1/2" X 3/4" 3603 tubing with distilled and PT Nuke after a couple weeks. It will get more opaque as time goes on.

http://www.houseofottawa.com/rig6.jpg

3Z3VH
06-10-2009, 12:01 PM
I want it to be cloudy to the point that you cannot see into the tubing, but I do not want it to be opaque...

Something like what Copenhagen has here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=226108

Sadasius
06-10-2009, 12:06 PM
Yeah then just go with the same tubing and distilled water and PT Nuke. It will be exactly like in the picture after a few months.

3Z3VH
06-10-2009, 12:30 PM
I still have a theory there is more to it than JUST the PTNuke... but until that mystery is solved, I am hoping Copen wants to sell the tubing ;)

_G_
06-10-2009, 12:36 PM
try this, use all new tubing(to maximize plastersizer leach) and change the fluid when you get the desired look.

LinusTech
06-10-2009, 01:19 PM

Seconded.

Don't do this on purpose.