PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Path - Rad or Block?

Capt Proton
06-06-2009, 01:16 AM
So, my system is DDC 3.25 with a XSPC Res top, Thermochill PA 120.2, Fuzion V1 with the washer from the nozzle kit, not using a nozzle right now. With my current overclock, 500 X 9 for 4.5GHz using 1.38V (software in Windows, 1.4V set in BIOS) on my E8400. Temps are really quite good. Ambient @19C I get under 60C using Intel Burn Test and sub 50C on PRIME Blend. However, to make it to 4.6GHz, I am looking at a significant increase in V Core and heat.
Looking for opinions on what will give me the best increase in performance. A bigger Rad? If so, would adding another double rad be an option? Or should I get a Heatkiller V3?

Adamantine
06-06-2009, 01:37 AM
I say neither and get a quad/i7 instead.

Capt Proton
06-06-2009, 01:56 AM
I say neither and get a quad/i7 instead.
Not interested. Let's face it, an E8400 at 4.5GHz with an overclocked GTX280 is more than what most people, including myself, need to run games and surf the net. Much more fun to squeeze the most out of a system like mine. Added bonus is that my parts are relatively inexpensive if something were to go horribly wrong. The only reason I got the P version of the MB is so I can add a card for PHYSX somewhere along the line to take a load off the GPU, should I need to do that.
Now, any suggestions related to my question?

nyeah
06-06-2009, 02:44 AM
cpu only loop? or are running with your graphic card also? if you're running with graphic card,
adding a rad/ changing to a bigger rad maybe good performance gain, as you get more heat dissipation.

Fragger
06-06-2009, 03:44 AM
Id go with the Heatkiller, more efficient than the fuzion. I love my duellie 2!

MpG
06-06-2009, 08:38 AM
The Heatkiller's cooling pattern is optimized for quad-core blocks, so there may not be as much gain as you hope. Have you considered one of the nozzle kits for that waterblock? You're running a single block loop with a high-pressure pump, so you might see some improvement that way.

How warm does your radiator get right now? If the radiator's not even getting warm, there isn't much gain to be had from adding another radiator.

defect9
06-06-2009, 09:17 AM
the rad would give you more wattage of heat dissipation, so if you have to push the system, go for the rad. I think getting the HK block would net you, what, 2c?

Capt Proton
06-06-2009, 01:00 PM
2C? Woo hoo! That would be worth it to me. I am runnign a CPU only loop, as per my sig. I have the nozzle kit. Stopped using it to get better flow. My loops are external, so I use Quick Disconnects so I can move my computer to the work bench for upgrades, cleaning, etc. Didn't see much change at all when I put the nozzles in or took them out. Of course, at the time, I had crappy flow, only about .9 GPM max. Now I have it upt to 1.5 GPM witht he new pump, XSPC Res top, and better QDCs. This is probably about getting something new more than anything else.
Water Temp goes 3-4C above ambient when I am runnning IBT, so the double PA is probably plenty. I guess I am always just looking to get things even better.

RoadconeTuning
06-06-2009, 01:53 PM
if water temps are still that low sounds like you would benefit from a better block since its not sucking up the heat fast enough... EK Supreme maybe?

Capt Proton
06-06-2009, 02:04 PM
if water temps are still that low sounds like you would benefit from a better block since its not sucking up the heat fast enough... EK Supreme maybe?
Old technology? Not a chance! LOL. Seriously, EK Supreme over Heatkiller 3? I just got my flow up to 1.5 GPM. Should I kill it with an EK Supreme, or maintain it with the Heatkiller. Although there are very few reviews of the Heatkiller out there, I do not remember once reading anyone recommending the EK over it.

MpG
06-06-2009, 02:12 PM
Most of the reviews for the HK3 are on the i7 blocks. You're running a dual-core, which has a differently-located heat source, so what's good for the quad-cores isn't necessarily ideal for your situation. And different blocks made different use of the flow - just look at Koolance's CPU-350 block.

Have you lapped the CPU? Sometime's there's some degrees to had there, for nothing but the price of some sandpaper.

Capt Proton
06-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Yes, CPU is lapped. I wouldn't want to buy a block that has no future in it. I shall upgrade to something sometime. Maybe in a year. Who knows, AMD may pull a rabbit out of the hat by then. I really preferred the glory days of the Athlon 64. I suppose now that Intel has caught up by finally putting the memory controller on the CPU the I7 may be as much fun. Memory with the Core 2 is just boring. Pretty much the same timings for all memory, and not much benefit to a huge memory overclock.
I'm leaning towards the Heatkiller. Maybe add another rad too.