PDA

View Full Version : glass tubing?

vinister
06-05-2009, 08:01 PM
One thing I have not seen around here is glass tubing. I have a friend who makes glass 'things'. He can easily bend and form any type of glass tube, or even create his own tubes out of several colors of glass. He can also flare the ends to make them into a barb-style shape. We have played with clamps and could not break any of the tubing with any amount of torque. Since the clamp applies pressure all around, the glass is very strong to this kind of force, kind of like an egg shell.

So I am seriously considering bringing some templates to him to have him bend up some lenghts for me. I plan to attach them to the barbs on the blocks by using very short peices of tubing. That will stop any glass-to-metal contact which would be a risk of chipping or breakage.

I think the advantages would be many, most of all, it wouldn't haze over like plastic tubes to. I can get it in almost any color, and any ID/OD combo. I can shape my own 90 degree bends, or any degree I want, so I can avoid the tubing 'pulling' on the parts like plastic tubing. Kinking is also a non-issue, as the glass bends very true when done by a professional.

disadvantages: changes in hardware would obviously require new tubing if positioning is altered. Not a big deal, I like change anyways. Of course the risk of breakage... but I'm really not that concerned, laboratory glass is very strong. I have dropped these tubes on the ground from hand-height, they don't break. You pretty much have to score it then hit it, if its not scored, it doesn't break easily.

My friend likes making things look all crazy and twisted and colorful, while I prefer a clean 'lab' style look, so my biggest challenge will be reeling in his creativity to keep it tidy.

What do you all think? has this been done before?

Stealth42o
06-05-2009, 08:07 PM
I guarantee it would look fantastic, however you couldn't pay me to run it.

To get it to a thickness where it would be safe just wouldn't be plausible I do not think.

I have not seen it yet.

vinister
06-05-2009, 08:11 PM

To get it to a thickness where it would be safe just wouldn't be plausible I do not think.

I have not seen it yet.

ya most people think this until they have hit lab-grade glass with a hammer and watched it not break. The clamp is what really impressed me, I tightened it to the point that the threads stripped in the clamp, just to prove to myself that it was safe. No amount of clamping we could come up with could damage the glass. You can even squeeze it in a vice pretty hard, and you can watch it flex into an oval a bit before it smashes. Pretty impressive stuff.

defect9
06-05-2009, 08:20 PM
and here I am wondering if it might be possible to create some custom compression fittings that would actually work with glass tube. Probably the best way I could think is if... oh man, idea. Let me fire up photoshop and get you a picture

okay, here we go. Basically, the glass tubing is slightly larger than the barb itself, and over the barb, is some flexible tubing, and just like the tubing is held on by the part of the barb that sticks out, the glass tube is held on by the flexible tubing that sticks out because of the barb. Would take a lot of trial fitting though, and would likely have a shedload of complications, but that's basically what the idea is illustrated below.

http://www.defect9.com/barb-glass.jpg

Fragger
06-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Go for it and let his creativity go wild! Could make something totally unique and very cool, why look like everyone else.

vinister
06-05-2009, 08:32 PM
hmm, not a bad idea. I was planning on using glass the exact same size as the barbs, then just using a simple peice of tube to connect the 2, just like between the video cards in my avatar. The idea here is that the tubing would make up for any slight imperfections in position, and also, if I bump the tubing while working in the case, it would have some 'give'. That way the plastic tube links would take the stress of any movement/vibrations, while not being big enough to detract from the look.

I still want to use some kind of clamp, I'm not so sure about compression because of the expense and it seems like many people have problems with them. I have never had an issue with a barb + clamp combo, so its just what I feel comfortable working with. I'm going to be using 'ring' type clamps, the ones that have dual metal rings that go around, just because I like them and they are a bit more unique than simple worm-drive ones.

I'm totally doing this. I'm actually really happy that I seem to finally have an idea that hasn't been done before! Its not even that complicated or expensive. All the tubing will be less than $100, and my bud will do the work for smokeables.

now everyone please pretend they did not see this thread...

iandh
06-05-2009, 08:51 PM
I've considered doing this. I blow glass sometimes at work for scientific fixtures, and have several sizes on hand.

Lab glass is amazingly strong, as long as it is annealed properly after shaping.

MpG
06-05-2009, 08:52 PM
:up: Cool. Definitely post a few pics on this guy once you get it up and running.

Maybe ask your friend if you can fashion the glass with the proper outside diameter, then use a die to give it some g1/4 threads?

kinzaru
06-05-2009, 08:56 PM
Oh... my... god... It'd be beautiful.

I'll take a set please :D

Fragger
06-05-2009, 09:03 PM
He could also make a res.........with lighting incorporated ala frozen Q

Petra
06-05-2009, 09:06 PM
I've considered doing this. I blow glass sometimes at work for scientific fixtures, and have several sizes on hand.

Lab glass is amazingly strong, as long as it is annealed properly after shaping.

Damn, Ian... Is there anything that you don't do? ;)

vinister
06-05-2009, 09:52 PM
ya he's an amazing artist, here's a teaser of his work. What I want in my case is nothing like this, but I do have some of his pieces ;) He's among the best glassblowers in north america.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_uo9kciAVieo/SioDFiXiJMI/AAAAAAAAEi4/E-zaHIAHem8/s400/3.jpg

and yes thats all glass

Shlomo
06-05-2009, 09:55 PM
So... my question would be...

Why not just do it out of acrylic? Sure would be hella badass if you were to do it though.

vinister
06-05-2009, 10:01 PM
So... my question would be...

Why not just do it out of acrylic?

because it would be hella badass if I were to do it. :D why else?

silverphoenix
06-05-2009, 10:02 PM
lab grade glass? so your using "pyrex" cool. I've been thinking about making tubing runs with acrylic

Waterlogged
06-05-2009, 10:05 PM
If he can hold reasonable tolerances on roundness, why not consider push-ins and be done with plastic tubing altogether. ;)

LOUISSSSS
06-05-2009, 10:07 PM
i wouldn't, can the glass be bent?

often (very often) i need to shuffle my tubes around in order to get to certain components in my rig. instances such as:

-my recent problem with some coil whining and me trying to locate it, i kind of stuck my head into my case as close to my mobo as possible.
-to change out ram dimms
-pull out tubing from t-drain line to drain loop

just a few examples where flexibility is a MUST.

vinister
06-06-2009, 09:15 AM
The glass is heated with a torch, bent into whatever shape is desired, and then annealed in a kiln to make it ultra-strong again.

The roundness is perfect, I'm sure it meets or exceeds the roundness of anything I would be interfacing it to. Push ins??

- I have never stuck my head into my case
- Once I build it, and it works, I don't generally mess with it until the next major revision
- I have a fill and drain port plumbed in, so all I really need to do is carry the pc to the sink and let her rip.
- the runs wont really be near the ram dimms.

removal will be pretty easy, just loosen the clamps, and pull it off.

cobra_kai
06-06-2009, 09:42 AM
Sounds like an awesome idea, I would love to see it done!

kinghong1970
06-06-2009, 09:52 AM
maybe not glass, but i've always wanted to see if there is a more "rigid" plastic tubing that we can use in our builds to get more "structured" look...

vinister
06-06-2009, 10:04 AM
Ya could you imagine if they had some kind of glass that you could bend with the heat from a blow dryer, then it would be hard again? And it would be semi-flexible, and would just squish instead of breaking. But you could heat it and stretch, bend, twist it, do whatever you want.

mmmmm nanotech

kinghong1970
06-06-2009, 10:16 AM
yeppers... to be honest, i'm kinda getting sick with all the loopty loops of pvc tubings... :D

Kurz
06-06-2009, 10:55 AM
Vinister I suggest Norprene tubing as your junction points.

vinister
06-06-2009, 12:13 PM
norprene? I was just going to use my regular primochill. I am considering orange tubing, that way I can just run pure distilled and still have a good look.

we're going to make the T-fitting out of glass as well for the drain. maybe eventually some resevoirs will surface as well ;)

Waterlogged
06-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Push ins??

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/6057/groupcz4.jpg

vinister
06-06-2009, 12:23 PM
those look really neat! the only problem is the installation, there are a few situations where it would be nearly impossible, and it would be directly stressing the glass as you handle it. Also the glass would have to be bent perfectly.

moiraesfate
06-06-2009, 04:50 PM
I don't think its worth the expense.

LOUISSSSS
06-06-2009, 04:54 PM
I don't think its worth the expense.

agreed.

Fragger
06-06-2009, 05:08 PM
agreed.

You haters fail so hard, firstly it is not going to be expensive, secondly this is something new and should be very cool. We need more people like this who push the boundaries and innovate, always wanting better results and new ways of doing things. I cannot wait to see this, it will be epic!

LOUISSSSS
06-06-2009, 05:15 PM
You haters fail so hard, firstly it is not going to be expensive, secondly this is something new and should be very cool. We need more people like this who push the boundaries and innovate, always wanting better results and new ways of doing things. I cannot wait to see this, it will be epic!

i agree, it is nice for new things to come into the market. it may fail, it may success, but the end consumer always wins.

i'm stating that hard glass tubing will not work for ME, and that it will probably cost more than my .40/foot masterkleer.

since you're saying its not more expensive? how much can u get 10 feet of this tubing for?

Chruschef
06-06-2009, 05:26 PM
i agree, it is nice for new things to come into the market. it may fail, it may success, but the end consumer always wins.

your missing the point. this isn't a consumer product, this is just a mod project. no commercial production involved.

Fragger
06-06-2009, 05:38 PM

i'm stating that hard glass tubing will not work for ME, and that it will probably cost more than my .40/foot masterkleer.

since you're saying its not more expensive? how much can u get 10 feet of this tubing for?

Dude you just dont get it, this is not coming to market, this will be a custom handmade mod, a oneoff. You cannot buy this.
Kind of sad that watercooling is so commercial now that people who dont know one end of a pc from the other can do it.

iandh
06-06-2009, 07:14 PM
Damn, Ian... Is there anything that you don't do? ;)

Haha gotta keep things mixed up, keep it interesting :D

those look really neat! the only problem is the installation, there are a few situations where it would be nearly impossible, and it would be directly stressing the glass as you handle it. Also the glass would have to be bent perfectly.

The other problem with push-ins is that they lock using small metal blades mounted in the push collar... these lock blades work great on plastic and soft metal such as copper, but hard metals like stainless have to have a line scored in them for the locking blades. That's why on some couplings they show "not compatible with stainless, scoring tool required".

Glass would be the same except that if you scored a line, it would be a breaking point, so the line would have to be precision ground. Possible, but not easy. Using stubs of normal tube to connect the glass to the barbs is probably the way to go here.

Sly Fox
06-06-2009, 07:48 PM

When did vinister ever try to sell it to you?

Not everything in life is "me me me." ;)

LOUISSSSS
06-06-2009, 10:09 PM
never said it was about me, i just threw out my opinion on the whole "glass as tubing" theory. and i said it was too expensive for me, and also that it wouldn't be viable as i would need to get into certain parts of the inside of my case by moving tubing around, and that WCing is an ongoing project that people change up tubing length's often. having a single cut section of tubing isn't going to work.

but op, go ahead an make your single production run w/ glass tubing i'd like to see it.

Chruschef
06-07-2009, 12:45 AM
Not everything in life is "me me me." ;)

but op, go ahead an make your single production run w/ glass tubing i'd like to see it.

:rolleyes:

Fragger
06-07-2009, 01:10 AM
*facepalm*
Ive so wanted to do that. :rofl:

moiraesfate
06-07-2009, 08:11 AM
Oy, look it isn't worth it because of the sheer amount of effort required. With plastic tubing, you can just buy new pieces easily. With glass tubing, each and every tube would have to be specifically created to fit each and every different computer since every single case is different. It doesn't make sense. Especially given the fact that glass breaks.

Stop being so unreasonable about this. If YOU want to go ahead and waste your time and money, then go ahead. I'd rather not, personally.

[XC] gomeler
06-07-2009, 08:19 AM
This could be insanely awesome. With everything anodized/plated black and a black motherboard and then red dye in the tubes.. it'd look awesome :D

Oy, look it isn't worth it because of the sheer amount of effort required. With plastic tubing, you can just buy new pieces easily. With glass tubing, each and every tube would have to be specifically created to fit each and every different computer since every single case is different. It doesn't make sense. Especially given the fact that glass breaks.

Stop being so unreasonable about this. If YOU want to go ahead and waste your time and money, then go ahead. I'd rather not, personally.

Sheesh. I'm so glad you guys stay in the watercooling section, if you came to the phase change section all creativity would be stifled :(

Extigy
06-07-2009, 08:36 AM
would be very interesting to see this. Only problem would be making a good connection to the waterblocks. Ignore all the nay sayers. Go for it!

kinghong1970
06-07-2009, 08:47 AM
i wonder what folks would have said when someone came up with a crazy notion of pumping liquids through a computer system...

dexster
06-07-2009, 08:47 AM
agreed.. i think it will look super

but remember we need pics!!!! :p: :D

voigts
06-07-2009, 09:35 AM

I guess then me and everyone else who has used copper tubing in rigs to get exact tubing routing are stupid also since you have to make new tubing with each case.

I don't know that I would want to spend $100 on tubing, but then again, some people would think I am stupid for taking months and hundreds of dollars to make a custom computer case.

I want to see this done. It would look very cool.

orangekiwii
06-07-2009, 10:15 AM
moiraesfate you fail

how dumb are you? seriously... just reading your post made me cringe...

1. hes already explained SEVERAL times how strong the glass hes using is... idk if you can read or not... but its actually a good technique to learn

2. Yes you can buy new plastic tubing easily... you know what... he can ALSO buy new glass tubing easily... ever heard of his friend and how they're working together to do this... YOU might not be able to... but HE can

3. each and every tube does have to created for that build... once again... look to point 2... he works in conjunction to do this with his friend...

4. Being unreasonable... none of HIS posts are unreasonable... its everyone ELSES posts that argue for or against this that are unreasonable... once again... learn to read

5. If HE wants to waste HIS money... its not really a waste is it? if hes using HIS money towards something HE enjoys who are YOU to say its a waste of HIS time and HIS money... stop thinking your the only thing in the world and what you believe is 100% correct or what might be economical for you is economical for someone else... why do you think EVERYONE here has a DIFFERENT build... if everyone acted or was you... we'd all have the same build which we don't

6. "I'd rather not, personally." wow first thing you've written that actually makes sense... YOU would rather not invest money in what hes doing... yes... YOU wouldn't... but your NOT him... you're different people and are interested in different things...

Seriously all you doubters need to go think for 5 minutes before you post... and think... "Is anything I post in his thread useful to him as we ALREADY know he wants to do it?"

Go cry in a corner Mr. Narcissist sense thats apparently all you think about and your inability to recognize people ARE different from you just proves it.

[XC] leviathan18
06-07-2009, 10:45 AM
nice no dye and bright nice colors, i love the idea even if you make it clear the glass gives a nice touch you need to find a better way to connect the glass to the barb than using pcv thats the only downside i see.

go for it i would love to see pics

i imagined a nice lian li black case with a blood rage and a combinations of red and black glass tubes, the red ones coming out of the out parts of the blocks as they are "hot" something like that lol

kinghong1970
06-07-2009, 11:16 AM

ha ha ha... brotha... my wife said the same thing about the 2 seater sports car that i purchased...

funny thing is... i don't feel that it's a waste of time and money... and heck... i dont give a rats a$$ what others feel too...

:D

and what would Star Trek be without the last few words in their intro monologue?

/insert star trek music...

Serra
06-07-2009, 11:35 AM
I say it's a super win if you do it with the rubber seal around the barb *inside the glass* like the other poster mocked up in photoshop, but epic fail if you end up using regular tubing as an in-between for the barb-> glass.

The second you start using regular tubing + worm clamps all you're doing is adding on difficulty for a look that isn't terribly different than it could be if you just kept on using the tubing. It's extra hassle, it's not clean (in fact, uses 2x as many barbs), and because you're still just using the same-old interfaces I wouldn't even say it's terribly unique.

Mods exist to be clean and easily seen as different... at first glance, if I see worm clamps at both ends of each glass pipe I'm just going to say "Oh, whatever". I may look again and notice it's glass, but TBH I'll think you failed on implementation.

TSXmike
06-07-2009, 02:40 PM
some people just dont understand modding :shakes:

i say go for it... i think itll be a beautiful and unique setup! i cant wait to see pictures!

Fragger
06-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Where has the pioneering spirit gone? :shrug:
It seems to some if you cant buy it in a blister pack it cant be done......

Sparky
06-07-2009, 04:47 PM
I say go for it! Just leak test everything before adding power to the components first :D

I always wanted to try a hard-lined setup of some sort (probably copper or the likes) but I don't have the funds/skill necessary. This would be really cool to see :up:

Oh, and screw the haters. Don't know what their problem is.

veedubfreak
06-08-2009, 06:10 AM
Theres a lot of thread crapping going on in here. Funny part is, it seems to follow a trend of the same posters doing it in multiple threads. This sounds like an awesome idea if you are doing it yourself. Sometimes i miss having access to my own tools and ability to make my own stuff. But like someone else posted, i agree that the barb > tube > glass would look odd. Full glass tubing with no strange joints would look awesome. What case are you planning to try to get this plumbed into?

YMAA
06-08-2009, 06:35 AM
Nice, I'd love to see it done. I've seen all-copper plumbing, but laboratory-grade glass would be awesome, completely new spin on solid WC plumbing. That's one way of getting rid of plasticizer leach :lol:

CyberDruid
06-08-2009, 07:12 AM
vinister that's a fantastic idea and if I had a bud who did glass work I would steal your idea in a second :D

I hear you like the lab sanitary look but I am imagining pure psychedelia in a glass loop...swirls and lenses and bulges and wye junctures going into Dr. Seuss craziness...spirals...sprouts....yeah man I love the glass tubing idea. Please do it:up:

moiraesfate
06-08-2009, 08:19 AM
If you don't understand the modder's disease, keep comments to self

know any1 has taken a hammer to PC ? to break glass

i would prefer glass over plastic anytime due to less maintence and clouding

note use neoprene for sealing this was done many moons ago was pita for i didn't have access to kiln

No, I understand. I just don't agree that going backwards in technology is a good thing.

Kaldor
06-08-2009, 09:23 AM
No, I understand. I just don't agree that going backwards in technology is a good thing.

Old tech doesnt equal bad tech.

I really like the idea myself. If you can find a way to get the glass directly on the barb even using a spacer, this would look extremely cool with some colored liquid. I agree with Cyber, swirls, coils, that type of stuff with back lighting would be sick. If done right, definitely MDPC type mod.

Skauneboy
06-08-2009, 03:24 PM

So that statement is based on the fact that glass is an older invention than plastic? :rolleyes: If it hasn't been done before I'd hardly call that "going backwards". I'm definitely curious about this project. :up:

kevinbo03
06-08-2009, 03:48 PM
I've always thought a reservoir made of blown glass could be pretty neat, Never thought of tubing though! It would definitely be quite an awesome project.

soulesschild
06-08-2009, 04:32 PM
Sounds like an awesome project. Agree with defect9 on teh rubber seal. Using another piece of plastic tubing is fail.

@people who are saying glass sucks. Please go find/buy/watch someone try to break lab grade glass. I work in a research lab so I'm surrounded by the stuff. Nearly impossible to break in any way that a normal WCer could do.

Sly Fox
06-08-2009, 04:43 PM
Lab-grade glass really is incredibly strong. I agree ^^^

I have an imported German made R**r (dunno if I can say that :p:) which uses top tier glass, and it's a beast.

Hardly the same type of glass you'll see in a typical glass cup from Ikea. I've knocked the sucker over pretty hard and it suffered absolutely no damage whatsoever despite being quite thinly blown.

Stealth42o
06-08-2009, 04:50 PM

I have not seen it yet.

Never quoted myself before. However I didn't know about a lot fo these things I have read, lab grade glass, etc.

I hope you build it. If I had that talent and skill. It would already be built.

So get building and have a one off all for yourself!

AndrewZorn
06-09-2009, 03:05 AM
if it hasn't already been said, you must make a glass reservoir too... maybe even could shape it like a funnel at the bottom

Froggy
06-09-2009, 08:39 AM
The haters in here remind me of the people who hop up civic type cars and then truly believe that their car is better than say a BMW M3 without considering any of the other variables besides equivalent 1/4 mile performance.

Stealth42o
06-09-2009, 12:38 PM
The haters in here remind me of the people who hop up civic type cars and then truly believe that their car is better than say a BMW M3 without considering any of the other variables besides equivalent 1/4 mile performance.

:shrug:....what?

LOUISSSSS
06-09-2009, 12:46 PM
why not make the case glass also??

Sadasius
06-09-2009, 12:53 PM
Man glass tubing would be kickass! Would have to use special compression fittings or something that can use rubber grommets that would clamp down on a glass bead lip or something like that. If your friend can do it then I would love to talk to him about design work so that the tubes would be slip free and leak free. Glass would be awesome and would get that nice clearness that the clear tubing we have not cannot hold for more then a few weeks without clouding.

MrMojoZ
06-09-2009, 01:58 PM
why not make the case glass also??

I'd love to see that one pulled off. Imagine a case with the glass tubing for the water works built into it. You would then be able to keep your water setup mostly intact when chaging hardware and have something beatiful and unique at the same time.

vinister
06-25-2009, 02:36 PM
wow, what has happened to my thread lol, I turn around for 2 minutes...

You know I was about to decide to not do it, just because I have other priorities, but now I feel like I have to just for all the morons who are hating on the idea lol.

THIS IS A TERRIBLE idea, please do not try it anybody, the tubing will break right away and just look lame :D:D:D

What forum am I on? Did I post in the sheep's section by mistake?? Is this not a modders forum? I am not looking for your opinions on my projects lol, I don't want anyone else to do it, let alone trying to sell it. What is wrong with you people?

ANYWAYS, the project is underway I am just still playing around with the interface, because I don't want anything too complex to deal with. The big problem with a direct push-in style system is that the tubing will have to be perfectly bent to exact dimensions.... perfection is quite difficult, its like asking you to draw a perfect circle using no tools... its just not all that possible. using small sections of plastic tubing would make up for these minor tolerances, and just general ease of assembly and serviceability.

The tubing is available in dozens of colors semi-clear and solid, and of course custom tubing can be made by twisting colors together, making patterned sections, anything really. I think for starters to keep cost and complexity down, I am still going for the 'surgical' look. Maybe I'll get creative with the res... we'll see. I don't have all that much room in my case or time in my life to get all fancy shmancy with it.

I also am dealing with some aging hardware, and considering upgrades etc before I go nuts with it.

Lets just close this thread for now because its just attracting loosers, I'll post another thread when I have something to show.

thanks for those of you who still have a creativity gland and 'get it'.

3Z3VH
06-25-2009, 03:01 PM
Vinister, I say you use more of a D-Plug design for the interface... screw one end into the block as normal, and have the other end sealed inside the glass tube. When it comes time to put it on, you simply slide the two halves of the D-Plug together and its internal rubber o-rings seal it for you.

eth0s
06-25-2009, 07:22 PM
This is a great idea. However, I think to actually accomplish it, you will need to take your computer to your friend's glass blowing workshop and show him what you need, and then say, for example: "we need a piece that is 5 inches straight, then bends 45 degrees downward, and then goes straight 2 inches, etc." This will be a time consuming and frustrating endeavor, but ultimately could produce incredible results. And there will obviously be a lot of waste since you will need to produce the "perfect" shape every time. And I don't agree that using: glass tube > plastic tube > fitting will look bad. And it certainly will not be a fail. Nobody has done it before, so give a big F-U to thems that says it won't work.

To the haters: of course this project will not be worth the time and expense, but nothing meaningful that we do ever is. That is simply what human beings do, we waste time and money on dream projects. Was it worth the time and expense to go to the moon? Of course not, it was a total waste of money, and if guys like you had your say we never would have gone. Animals do the minimum they need to survive, and nothing more. You ever see a bear go fly fishing? I think not. The bear just pulls salmon out of the river, and laughs at the silly humans who spend thousands of dollars on a fly fishing trip to Alaska, that results in no fish caught. And this phenomenon is not new, since I dare say that 25,000 years ago, some clever caveman woke up in his cave one day and said, you know what, this cave would look a lot better with a painting of an antelope on this wall. Was it worth the trouble and expense way back then? No way, but the other cavemen thought it was cool and started painting their caves too, because all the really good-looking cave-chicks started hanging out in that dude's "painted" cave.

Erdrick1980
06-25-2009, 10:56 PM
man, i can't wait to see this... glass tubing! now thats awsome!! and u can clean the glass tubing with windex!

Panthols
06-25-2009, 11:44 PM
man, i can't wait to see this... glass tubing! now thats awsome!! and u can clean the glass tubing with windex!

Or you could actually run your loop filled with windex! That way it'd always stay clean inside :D.

YMAA
06-26-2009, 03:58 AM
Or you could actually run your loop filled with windex! That way it'd always stay clean inside :D.

It'd stay clean until the Windex got dirty...then you'd need new Windex.

Mescalamba
06-26-2009, 05:22 AM
Glass tubing? Wow.. great idea, would like to see that.. wish I had your friend around. :) I would made glass/steel only case with this tubing..

vinister
07-03-2009, 08:39 AM
This is a great idea. However, I think to actually accomplish it, you will need to take your computer to your friend's glass blowing workshop and show him what you need, and then say, for example: "we need a piece that is 5 inches straight, then bends 45 degrees downward, and then goes straight 2 inches, etc." This will be a time consuming and frustrating endeavor, but ultimately could produce incredible results. And there will obviously be a lot of waste since you will need to produce the "perfect" shape every time. And I don't agree that using: glass tube > plastic tube > fitting will look bad. And it certainly will not be a fail. Nobody has done it before, so give a big F-U to thems that says it won't work.

thanks, and some good analogies about why we do this!

The shaping is actually the easy part, I just make the pieces to exact dimensions out of steel wire. He doesn't do any measuring per se, its all done by sight and feel. Just like how no 2 hand blown wine glasses are exactly perfect or alike. The process of using gravity, air pressure, and motion as your shaping tools has an insane number of variables, so you never really know exactly how it will turn out. I can not realistically expect perfectly round tubes, which is why the pressure fits aren't really an option. They have all-glass seals that you can buy pre-made, but I am not willing to trust my hardware to them under a pressurized system. They use some kind of grainy, almost sandy glass on a funnel shaped mating surface. You'll see them used on the stem of pull-slide bongs ;)

3Z3VH: I don't understand what you mean with the D-plug. visuals?

SNiiPE_DoGG
07-03-2009, 08:47 AM
he means us the female end of a d-plug to seal the glass, but you would need a perfectly round - correct sized - tube at the ends.

vinister
07-03-2009, 07:15 PM
he means us the female end of a d-plug to seal the glass, but you would need a perfectly round - correct sized - tube at the ends.

forgive my ignorance but what exactly is a D-plug?

SNiiPE_DoGG
07-03-2009, 07:16 PM
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/bishg14sidse.html

vinister
07-03-2009, 07:21 PM
ok I see. That would be sick but would require an impossible amount of precision. If the tube length is off by 1mm, it will not rest properly on the fitting and will leak. If the tube is ever so slightly off round, it will leak. Cool but not an option!

thx

Serpentarius
07-03-2009, 07:35 PM
try use crystalized glass (if possible try to have tampered ones, they last from shocks, and compression - those glass eyes on roads can withstand >40tons)

crystalized glass (clear ones) looks fabulous when LED (or other colored lighting) is placed on it ... the random reflective angles really gave a good spectrum

too bad they're created that way from the forge ...... if you're doing DIY, then use those glass blocks (used in home construction) .. those are tampered glass, they're real solid ... probraly able to withstand >60tons per piece ... cant imagine how they're going to drill into it ... maybe via diamond bits

vinister
07-03-2009, 09:04 PM
try use crystalized glass (if possible try to have tampered ones, they last from shocks, and compression - those glass eyes on roads can withstand >40tons)

crystalized glass (clear ones) looks fabulous when LED (or other colored lighting) is placed on it ... the random reflective angles really gave a good spectrum

too bad they're created that way from the forge ...... if you're doing DIY, then use those glass blocks (used in home construction) .. those are tampered glass, they're real solid ... probraly able to withstand >60tons per piece ... cant imagine how they're going to drill into it ... maybe via diamond bits

we use only pyrex-type glass. It is really high end and fancy, but I don't know if its crystalized or whatnot. We're just experimenting with colors and effects... making tubing from scratch. I'm struggling to get something I'm happy with, because its so limitless. Think about it.. the tube can be any shape, any color, it doesn't even need to be round. They can even mix this crazy sparkly stuff in that is what they use for the space masks, its intensely reflective and also translucent, its wild stuff. Then there's the question of LED's and lighting, its a huge world of unlimited creativity.