PDA

View Full Version : Swiftech MCX4000 mini review

PiLsY
08-08-2002, 03:41 AM
Copied over from the intel forum cos I meant to post it here :p.

Just got this little beauty this morning.

Absolutely huge - weighs in at around 2lbs at a guess. By far the biggest chunck of copper on the base that I have seen on any heatsink. I'll be comparing performance to the stock retail cooler that Ive been using for the past 3 days.

Quick bit of info....

Stock retail cooler - max clock 2.580 @ 1.58v. Any higher and heat got the better of it. Temps : 52 idle 61 load.

MCX4000 w/80cfm delta - max clock - still testing but im at 2750 and rising atm using 1.58v. Temps are still well under control at 48c idle / 52c prime. Bear in mind that ambient here today is about 24c and case temp about 28c, so its not exactly a cool day.

Stock speed (2.26Ghz)

P4 retail : 39 idle / 47 load
MCX4000 : 33 idle / 38 load

2500mhz 1.5v

P4 retail : 44 idle / 54 load
MCX4000 : 42 idle / 48 load

2580mhz / 1.58v

P4 retail : 52 idle / 61 load
MCX4000 : 46 idle / 52 load

2666mhz / 1.5v

P4 retail : barely makes it past post.
MCX4000 : 44 idle / 59 load

Fitting - very easy apart from those bloody nylon nuts they use. Replaced immeadiately with a paper washer for insulation and steel nuts. More tension added to the springs by putting the aforementioned nylon junk between the screw head and spring. Works peachy . Torqued it right down and was rewarded by a satisfying (and only slightly noticeable) bend of the motherboard so its on properly . My only complaint - the screws provided are only for the 70mm YStech TMD fan - they wont quite fit any other fan. I had to screw them through the base only of the 80mm delta and stick a fan guard underneath to give a bit of extra lift on the screws to stop them bottoming out on the mobo.

Warning - on the IT7 you need to slightly bend the 2 fan header walls next to the socket to clear the heatsink. Otherwise they sit underneath and raise one side by 1mm or so.

Noise isnt too much of an issue - ive got a decent heavily built case which muffles noise anyway, and 2 sheets of akasa pax mate on the doors almost killed the sound completely. Its now a loud hum somewhat akin to a 45cfm ystech case fan. Noticeable but not annoying.

Overall 8 out of 10.

Pros :

Very capable cooler - provides a good oc boost.
Cant beat the "ooooo" factor of having a heatsink that big.
Very secure fitting method.
A vast improvement over the P4 stock cooler in both o/c and temps.

Cons :

Temps are higher by 2c (but the overclock so far is 40mhz higher too so not really a complaint) when compared to an Alpha 8942.
Screws for different fans not provided and are quite hard to get hold of.
NYLON NUTS!!! ARGH!!!
Very large - may have problems with clearance on some mobos.
Expensive.

Overall its a solid performer. Temps arent as low as on the alpha but the oc is higher. Its finished to swiftechs usual high standard, no complaints in that department. The cons listed above are more niggles than actual faults with the product. Theres no excuse for swiftech still supplying those bloody nylon nuts tho. They get rounded the second you fit them. This has been a long term complaint dating back 3 generations of swiftech 462 heatsinks and still hasnt been corrected. As with anything, you get what you pay for, and you pay for performance. This heatsink has it by the bucketload.

I'll post back up this evening with a max o/c.

Hope you enjoyed the review .

PiLsY.

PiLsY
08-08-2002, 03:46 AM
Thought Id just add....

Max oc so far : 2850mhz @ 1.66v and still rising. Just completed 6 hours of prime, so im off to up it again :).

Temps @ above settings :

Ambient : 20
Case : 22
CPU : 47 Idle / 54 Load.

I reseated the heatsink last night and removed the extra washers id put on the springs to increase pressure. It was having a negative effect due to higher load on one side than the other. Just couldnt balance it out. Core contact was good, just pressure was uneven. Dropped a couple of degrees c and increased stability nicely. The AS 2 is now bedding in nicely and temps are continuing to drop as everything settles in.

Overall temps are down by a factor of around 7c compared to the initial install. Its now on a dead even footing temp wise with the Alpha 8942 with identical fan.

PiLsY.

PiLsY
08-08-2002, 02:47 PM
Well, temps are flying down now. Not exactlys ure why as ambient is the same, but ist now idling at 39 - 40 playing virtual cds thru media player and onboard audio @ 2882 and 1.7v.

May even make 2.9 without hitting my danger point of 1.75v :).

PiLsY.

Sayajin
08-09-2002, 01:31 AM
well done PiLsY...looks like the HSF is a huge improvement over the stock HSF...what speed are you up2 now?