PDA

View Full Version : Thermochill PA120.3 bent/mishapen fins?

eponymous
06-03-2009, 01:55 PM
Hi,

I've just got two PA 120.3's and I noticed that some onf the fins on them were slightly bent ans mishapen (as though pressure has been applied from the side).

I managed to carefully striaghten them back out again as best as I could but man are these things fragile. I had to be extremely careful not to fatigue the metal.

On one rad, liek 5 or 6 of the fins in a row were bent over, but I managed to fix them as best I could.

I've seen a video on youtube of someone's PA 120.3 which has the same thing.

Is this common/normal?

exemay
06-03-2009, 01:58 PM
yeah, it seems pretty normal...i orderd two, at different times (due to low stock after xmas) and i got 1 it was spotless, the second 1 however was not....in 1 of the corners it had a small dent in the fins, i striaghtentd out the ones i could, but the dent was that small i doubt it would have done antyhing!

eponymous
06-03-2009, 02:03 PM
yeah, it seems pretty normal...i orderd two, at different times (due to low stock after xmas) and i got 1 it was spotless, the second 1 however was not....in 1 of the corners it had a small dent in the fins, i striaghtentd out the ones i could, but the dent was that small i doubt it would have done antyhing!

Mine looked pretty severe on one...5 in a row as though someone had pressed down on it. They striaghtened back no bother though.

The rad is new though, packaging was fine.

exemay
06-03-2009, 02:10 PM
have u started using it yet?? you may wanna fill it with water and leave it standing in a bath or shower and see if anything comes out and leaks......if its really severe it may have damaged the pipes!

eponymous
06-03-2009, 02:15 PM
have u started using it yet?? you may wanna fill it with water and leave it standing in a bath or shower and see if anything comes out and leaks......if its really severe it may have damaged the pipes!

I'll check but the pipes don't look damaged.

When I say severe I don't mean it's completely written off, I just meant the edges of the 5 fins were bent over.

kinghong1970
06-03-2009, 02:16 PM
if you're good with chopsticks, some nice and narrow tipped wooden chopsticks are great to straighten them out...