PDA

View Full Version : gtx360 and ultra kaze install

donkon
06-02-2009, 05:32 AM
Hey i want to install my Gtx360 and 3 3000rpm kaze fans in this order (top to bottom) Fans / Rad..

Now i want to know what screws i should use? Also I am worried that when i attach a screw through the top of the case into the fan and at the end into the rad that it will not be enough to hold the rad? I mean each screw will be around 5mm into the rad? Is this enough?? Is there any pics of this, also what length exactly should i get and what screws.. Please let me know the details.

Hope you can help

Hondacity
06-02-2009, 05:35 AM
when i got my gtx rad from dangerden..it included the short screws...it should be in the box

kinghong1970
06-02-2009, 05:38 AM
5mm is enough... remember, you will have 12 screws that will hold the radiator through the fans.... right?

make sure that the screws does not touch the fins or puncture the tubes in the rad...

iirc, HWLabs use M4 screws? just dont rip out the threading in the radiator by forcing too tight on the screws.

as for length, are you using any neoprene washers or gaskets between the radiator and the fan or between the fan and the case?
just measure out the amount of space you have, and add the fan 38mm to it.

donkon
06-02-2009, 06:05 AM
Btw, this is a full internal install, i'm putting the fans on top of rad.
The screws i got with the rad are too long for bottom hole to rad screw in (the fan is 38mm itself), and too short for a full screw in. Also how would i screw in the bottom holes of the fan into the rad, there is noway i can get into that with a screw driver and screwing with my fingers will not be tight enough. Thats why i thought of using maybe a 45mm screw and just screwing everything together on one go to the case??? or if you can give me a tip on how to do it, also a pic would be great. And a rubber thingy between fan and rad should be there?

SNiiPE_DoGG
06-02-2009, 06:11 AM
right angle screwdriver - every modder should have one

kinghong1970
06-02-2009, 06:16 AM
donkon, just use the longer screw...

from outside the case, through the case, through the fans, screw down to the radiator.
if you want to use neoprene washers, it's very cheap to pick em up at the local hardware store.

silverphoenix
06-02-2009, 07:01 AM
I have a GTX120 on the back of my case with San Ace 38mm fan, My fan doesn't sit on the case exactly it goes through the case as well since it's Radiator Case then Fan, this adds 2-3mm extra. I use 45mm m4 screws I got from Mcmaster, this gives about a 5mm screw in and it's plenty. 5mm of screw in is enough to get the screw through the entire threaded length of the radiator, but do be careful not to puncture the tubes.

donkon
06-02-2009, 08:13 AM
hey guys, got a problem, went to rona and home depot.
First of all the screws they have are m4x12, 2 mm is np imo..But i couldn't buy anything because there is no possible way to put these screws in the bottom of the fan into the rad, i talked to the tools guy and screws guy in both stores. The little 1 inch or so gap between the top and bottom of the fan is too small to fit a right angled screw driver, they also said there is no m4x12 hex head screws and they are a specialty order from some factory which i do not want to do.
Overall putting separate screws seems like a huge pain to do. What screws should i get to go through the whole thing.. So just 12 long screws.. is there even m4x45 screws??

kinghong1970
06-02-2009, 08:21 AM
Socket Screws: choose length and head type (http://www.mcmaster.com/#socket-cap-screws/=255oiq)

Machine Screws: choose length and head type (http://www.mcmaster.com/#machine-screws/=255ovx)

or you can also get one of these...
http://www.globalspec.com/NpaPics/78/153118_050220081057_ExhibitPic.jpg
and cut the screws to whaterver size you want without messing up the threads...
will leave a sharp and rough edge tho...

also, grainger has a good selection of screws as well...

Waterlogged
06-02-2009, 08:32 AM
Why not do this?

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=82091&d=1216189933

Use short 4mm screw to hold the fans to the rad and then use 10-32's to hold the fans to the case.

silverphoenix
06-02-2009, 08:50 AM
hey guys, got a problem, went to rona and home depot.
First of all the screws they have are m4x12, 2 mm is np imo..But i couldn't buy anything because there is no possible way to put these screws in the bottom of the fan into the rad, i talked to the tools guy and screws guy in both stores. The little 1 inch or so gap between the top and bottom of the fan is too small to fit a right angled screw driver, they also said there is no m4x12 hex head screws and they are a specialty order from some factory which i do not want to do.
Overall putting separate screws seems like a huge pain to do. What screws should i get to go through the whole thing.. So just 12 long screws.. is there even m4x45 screws??

go to www.mcmaster.com

type in 92000A243 into search

donkon
06-02-2009, 10:30 AM
hey guys i solved it, found some screws laying around and they fit perfectly for top of case and yeah WaterLogged that is exactly what i did. I'm suprised how much room this rad and fans take up. Everything is a tight fit in the haf932, what sucks is i have to put my 2 cd roms either on the last or 3rd and 4th slot. Eh, guess no choice, cause the tubing, fillport and rad take up 2 5.25 drive bays