PDA

View Full Version : Hellooooo gpugrid!

Gamekiller
05-30-2009, 09:59 PM
Well I decided to put my gtx 295 (and an 8600gt LOL) on gpugrid. I like it much better than F@H, sorry f@h guys. Also, it only uses like 1-3% of a core on average so it doesn't cut into my WCG crunching.

I'm using Win7, and as we all know it's a pain with a gtx 295. I didn't have a dummy plug so I hooked my tv up to my card long enough to get 2 WU's crunching and then unhooking it.

I've hit the error limit (I think) though while trying a million other ways to get both gpu's to work so I've run dry on work.

5/31/2009 12:44:57 AM GPUGRID Message from server: No work sent
5/31/2009 12:44:57 AM GPUGRID Message from server: (reached daily quota of 8 results)
5/31/2009 12:44:57 AM GPUGRID Message from server: (Project has no jobs available)

Well, I just wanted to let everyone know. :D We need more people on gpugrid for XS. We could easily pass into the top 10 or so with more power.

HuffPCair
05-30-2009, 10:40 PM
you dont have to have a dummy plug in win7 just right click and where you do your resolution click detect then where it says multiple displays choose try to connect anyways on VGA and I believe that should work.

Angmaar
05-31-2009, 08:47 AM
You could try re-installing BOINC. I had an error like that and re-installing may fix it.

Gamekiller
05-31-2009, 08:50 AM
you dont have to have a dummy plug in win7 just right click and where you do your resolution click detect then where it says multiple displays choose try to connect anyways on VGA and I believe that should work.

I believe I saw something about this in the f@h forums. The person got a lot of errors using a method like that.

Thing is, on the GTX 295. both DVI connectors are on the same gpu and the HDMI is on the other so I think it wouldn't work anyways.

You could try re-installing BOINC. I had an error like that and re-installing may fix it.

I think it's from how many bad result I sent in while trying to get my 2nd gpu to work.

Naja002
05-31-2009, 05:19 PM
:welcome: :up:

Wish I could help with the issue. You may want to surf the forums here:

Nvidia graphics cards (GPU) (http://www.gpugrid.net/forum_forum.php?id=1)

There's probably half dozen threads on 295s in the first 3-4 pages....:up:

You might want to PM Paul D. Buck. He's been through the 295 issues and could probably get you straightened out pretty quickly....:up:

:woot::woot::woot:

Gamekiller
05-31-2009, 05:26 PM
Thanks Naja, I've already spent hours researching the issue. The only solution for Win7 is to use a dummy hdmi plug atm.

MikeB12
06-02-2009, 06:33 AM
I believe I saw something about this in the f@h forums. The person got a lot of errors using a method like that.

that was me. it was on a dual gts250 rig, win7x64, 185.85... and the second gpu on the virtual connection (connect anyway connection) kept going into 24hr eue pause. but that was on the fah gpu clients, I never tested the gpugrid clients on it

Gamekiller
06-02-2009, 08:19 AM
that was me. it was on a dual gts250 rig, win7x64, 185.85... and the second gpu on the virtual connection (connect anyway connection) kept going into 24hr eue pause. but that was on the fah gpu clients, I never tested the gpugrid clients on it

I'm running the same OS and Drivers as yourself, did you ever fix it?

I think the only thing for me to do is get a hdmi dummy or go to Vista (2nd option isn't an option lol). The dummy might activate the 2nd gpu but I'll probably still get errors on it. :down:

Gamekiller
06-03-2009, 01:29 PM
Well I just took my gtx 295 off of gpugrid and put it on f@h. Gpugrids forum is horrible.. the WUs error out. The only plus side was that it used Boinc.

I wonder how to tell if it's folding on both gpus with F@H.

I left my 8600gt on gpugrid.. I need to take it off though.. the WUs are canceled by the server because it's too slow and I never get any points.

MikeB12
06-04-2009, 03:35 AM
IN win7 I just connect both gpu's. My acer lcd has a dvi and vga dual connection. This is my main rig in my office.

IN xp64, I dont need the dual connection, that pc is just running to a hdtv on the vga port. This is my HTPC in the den.

those are my 2 dual gts250 rigs, and they are on the fah gpu clients.

My gpugrid pc is a spare pc in my guestroom and it runs gpugrid on a single gtx260. This is my spare pc for geusts to use when they want to use a pc, and I dont want them on mine. especially my little nephew who loves to play video games.

all the cpu's are on wcg boinc.

they all run good now. the gts 250's have some issues of their own, like reverting to 2d clocks, ut that's a known issue with the 250's and 9800gtx's.. there's a thread here at XS, at FAH, and at EVGA forums about it.

road-runner
07-20-2009, 08:51 AM
I tried my 295 last night with win 7, used the dummy plug, extended desktop, disabled multi gpu and phsx but never could get both to run. :shrug: Put the GTS 250 back in there. :shrug:

Gamekiller
07-20-2009, 12:26 PM
i finally got mine to run.

you're using an hdmi dummy right? if so and it isn't working then try an actually hdmi cable to a monitor or tv if you can to see if it kicks in then
some people try using hdmi>vga>dvi or something and there dummy isn't pinned right... or something along those lines

road-runner
07-20-2009, 12:31 PM
i finally got mine to run.

you're using an hdmi dummy right? if so and it isn't working then try an actually hdmi cable to a monitor or tv if you can to see if it kicks in then
some people try using hdmi>vga>dvi or something and there dummy isn't pinned right... or something along those lines

Yea I made a dummy from HDMI>dvi>vga, it works fine on folding at home but not this. :shrug:

Gamekiller
07-21-2009, 11:04 AM
Have you tried using Cuda-Z and see if it's still showing 2 devices?

Also look in the messages tab when you start boinc and it should say that it found 2 cuda devices.

Btw, what version of Boinc are you running? I found the one you download from the WCG website didn't handle gpus well or at all.

road-runner
07-21-2009, 09:16 PM
I already swapped back to a GTS 250, I will try again as soon as it cools of a little. I used 2,000 kilowatts in 10 days, had to to cut back a little, we are still have 100 degree days here..

Gamekiller
07-22-2009, 02:33 AM
Yeah I had to stop my gpu's. All I had was a gtx 295 (stopped because of heat!!! hot hot summer) and an 8600gt (stopped because that comp was lagging hard and the card did no ppd). Hopefully wcg supports gpus about the same time the days start cooling down. :p: