PDA

View Full Version : CPU cooler for i7 920... which isn't 1kg ?

Bourne
05-30-2009, 08:04 PM
I've been looking at coolers for the i7 cpu and everything i've come across are 700g or heavier cpu heatsinks.

I'm thinking about buying the CM V8 because it performs nicely and looks awsome.... but it's about 900g.

Doesn't that mean i should barely move the case unless I want to break my motherboard/cpu.

Could anyone ensure me on what to do.

Regards
Bourne

ExodusC
05-30-2009, 08:07 PM
I carry my giant Stacker 810 case with my TRUE mounted inside it... I've taken it to LAN parties, knocked around in the car a little.

I feel like to break a motherboard with a 1Kg cooler, you'd have to be pretty forceful. My motherboard isn't even bent from it...

GAR
05-30-2009, 11:07 PM
People always worry about this, but a cpu cooler, especially one with all 4 sides screwed from the bottom is not going to break your board, enless you hang from your heatsink you should be ok.

cky2k6
05-30-2009, 11:11 PM
i7 boards have a steel retention plate behind the cpu socket, so x58 boards are much more resilient to bending from heavy coolers.

Damian^
05-30-2009, 11:58 PM
i7 boards have a steel retention plate behind the cpu socket, so x58 boards are much more resilient to bending from heavy coolers.
Exactly. And most high end coolers that weigh quite a bit (like Cooler Master's V* series) come with reliable retention brackets/backplates.