PDA

View Full Version : Firewall

Hardass
08-07-2002, 02:39 PM
Trying to send file over AIM, won,t send get error saying if both parties have diff firewalls contact blah blah, what should I do. Linksys 4 port wireless router, running zonealarm.

Snowman
08-07-2002, 02:48 PM
aim = whore

aim has always been picky. u can try shuting down your zonealarm and not go through the router but i'd just set up an FTP server or email the file.

if you want to set up an FTP server i recommend BPFTP (http://www.bpftpserver.com/).

Hardass
08-07-2002, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Snowman
aim = whore

aim has always been picky. u can try shuting down your zonealarm and not go through the router but i'd just set up an FTP server or email the file.

if you want to set up an FTP server i recommend BPFTP (http://www.bpftpserver.com/).
Tried the FTP thing wouldn,t work on other end, plus I have no experience with FTP stuff. Took me forever to figure out how to setup page. Using WS_FTP95LE

Tweaked!
08-07-2002, 03:20 PM
Might wanna try sending another file of very minor size and see if it was just that particular file. Are you able to connect and chat with other party without hitch??? I've xfered files over aim in the past, and I've got a Linksys router w/ basic zonealarm. If I remember correctly, the file size was 3-4 mb long.

Hardass
08-07-2002, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Tweaked!
Might wanna try sending another file of very minor size and see if it was just that particular file. Are you able to connect and chat with other party without hitch??? I've xfered files over aim in the past, and I've got a Linksys router w/ basic zonealarm. If I remember correctly, the file size was 3-4 mb long.
Yea Tweaked, I have no trouble at all except when I tried to send files. It happened with 2 diff people.

stompah
08-09-2002, 12:18 AM
Hardass I know this will not help much but AIM sucksfor transfering files. It works sporadically for me. I just use MSN for that now. Much easier.

Sorry for not being much help.

Smizack
08-16-2002, 09:36 PM
What happens whey you shut your firewall off on your router?

I don't think it's AIM. I think you're killing it via your machine. (ZA or your routers firewall.)

Weedo
09-03-2002, 03:59 AM
If you have a router, do you really need Zonealarm? I thought your router served as your firewall.

Hardass
09-03-2002, 04:05 AM
First: Welcome to Xtreme. Second: Please join our Folding@Home Team. Now the router has a basic firewall, Zonealarm is added protection.

Tweaked!
09-03-2002, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by Weedo
If you have a router, do you really need Zonealarm? I thought your router served as your firewall.

Just like Hardass said, a router is a basic firewall. Any knowledgeable hacker will get through with little to no problems. I personnally recommend having at least the basic free Zonealarm on all computers under the router. Most homeowners get a router thinking that it will stop any intrusions, but one major thing they fail to realize is that the router is automatically setup with an admin password thats in every manual. And it is the same password for all of that particular brand. So hackers will already know the password. They need to change that password as soon as it is setup.
I've got a Linksys 4 port router at home with the password changed etc... and Zonealarm still pops up at least once a week telling me that it just stopped an intrusion.
You can obtain the basic version for free here:
http://download.com.com/3000-2092-10133851.html?tag=lst-0-1

I recommend Zonealarm no matter how many exterior firewalls you have running in the loop. Just playing it safe... :)

By the way, Welcome to the forums and do please give our Folding @ Home team a look, we really need the help... ;)

Weedo
09-03-2002, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the welcome guys. I only very recently became aware of your forums. Have been poking around for a couple of days.

Been folding for Icrontic for about 2 months now. Doh!!! I like your teams zeal and dedication to the F&H project though. :) I have 2 folding rigs.

I knew about the password and changed it when I initially set up my router. I know that ZoneAlarm is an excellent firewall utility that I have used in the past but I thought that the router and Windows XP's own internal security would be sufficient. I also use GRC.com's 'IP Agent' to test my security. According to his site I am invulnerable to outside discovery, connection and attack.

I never hear of anybody mention this Steve Gibson guy and his wesite but he seems to know his stuff about internet security.

You can get 'IP Agent' (16 kb download) if you're curious and want to try it from the link below. It probes your ports and tries to find a way in then tells you the results.

I do agree that you can never be too safe.

http://grc.com/freepopular.htm

Weedo
09-03-2002, 10:46 AM
A quote from the GRC website.

"Just so you know, WinXP's built-in firewall does not attempt to manage or restrict outbound connections at all. It appears to be a useful firewall for hiding the machine from the Internet (it has "stealth mode" unsolicited packet handling), but you will still need to use a good third-party personal firewall if you wish to manage and control outbound connections from your system."

Ah-haaa!! Now I see. Here's where ZoneAlarm comes in.

Tweaked!
09-03-2002, 12:44 PM
Now you've got it! ;)

Weedo
09-03-2002, 06:21 PM
I've got 2 computers on a Netgear RP614 router connected to the internet via cable modem. I installed ZoneAlarm but it's interfering with my local network. I haven't been able to figure out how to get my computers to see each other through ZoneAlarm. How do you do it?

I suppose I could just shut ZA down and do what I want to do and then restart it.

Tweaked!
09-04-2002, 03:36 AM
I'm not sure off the top, but I'll get back to you on it. I just shut both my computers down @ home and am in the process of gutting and rebuilding them. As soon as I get them back up and running I'll get back to ya on it. I'd imagine you'll probably figure it out by then though. ;)

Smizack
09-04-2002, 11:09 AM
I've honestly removed ZA since I got my router. I used to get hit all the time and my router kills it all. I don't see the need for it anymore.
Unless your a person that has many enemies or confidential files I don't think you'd need a redundant firewall.