PDA

View Full Version : What magazines do you PC guys subscribe to?

LOUISSSSS
05-27-2009, 09:58 PM
just wondering what some of u guys subscribe to...

i subscribe to MaximumPC & popular mechanic, but find both their articles' pretty bad and poorly rated

by this i mean what "tech" magazines

little_scrapper
05-27-2009, 10:26 PM
I have a subscription to WOOD, and some other BS I never read. Hehe, gotta love the inlaws for wasting money on a subscription to something I'm not the least bit interested. I mean c'mon, a woodworking subscription for an electronics guy?? Please!! They go into the trash as soon as they show up.

Strafe
05-28-2009, 04:02 AM
Post internet, my magazine consumption has died to almost zero. There's really no need for them. I also have to agree with your assessment of Maximum PC, they're really horrible. Even their podcast sucks. It's entertaining, but they really have a poor knowledge of the industry they think they represent.

Hidetaka
05-28-2009, 08:10 AM
Why waste paper when you've got acces to the Internet? :d

LOUISSSSS
05-28-2009, 08:24 AM
how do you guys feel about CPU magazine? are they better than MAXPC?

WrigleyVillain
05-28-2009, 08:54 AM
^ Yes, by leaps and bounds. Good columnists such as Anand...

SoulsCollective
05-28-2009, 08:59 AM
None. I used to pick up the occasional Atomic (I think it's Australian-only), but with the internet I just troll here and Anandtech - I used to check out Tom's regularly, but it's gone to bananas over the past few years.

perkam
05-28-2009, 09:06 AM
Fine Cooking and...

Wait ALL magazines or?

:lol:

Perkam

Particle
05-28-2009, 09:37 AM
I subscribe to Discover. It's my general bathroom reader.

ripken204
05-28-2009, 11:11 AM
tech magazines are completely useless imo, everything in them is old news by the time you get it.

SNiiPE_DoGG
05-28-2009, 11:13 AM
I get the Overclocker :p: sometimes I'll stop in at a news stand and read a few snippets of a maximum PC or PC gamer (hardware section), but in reality the writers in both those mags dont know crap about computers and the articles might as well be written by 12y/o kids who know more than they do :rofl:

urgrandpasdog
05-28-2009, 02:52 PM
When I was more of a n00b I subscribed to Maximum PC, but I discontinued it because all the announcments and such in the mag are outdated by at least a few weeks by the time I get the mag, and if I ever get the urge to read a MAXPC article they are all on their website for free.

ILikeCosmosS
05-28-2009, 04:38 PM
Sniipe i could get good pay check on writing those articles :D

most of them are kind of bad because i was looking pc magazine and it said phenom 9950 was the best cpu on the market. I knew c2q were better, but they should have said amd's best cpu

perkam
05-28-2009, 04:46 PM
I stopped subscribing to or buying them long time ago.

I'll read 15 reviews of a new GTX or Radeon and then wait a month before I read a less-than-knowledgeable review on PC World about how 60FPS at 1280 res is supposed to be "jaw dropping".

Perkam

Plan.B
05-28-2009, 06:51 PM
Swank

MomijiTMO
05-28-2009, 07:03 PM
None. Forums killed the need for magazines.

Plan.B
05-28-2009, 07:13 PM
None. Forums killed the need for magazines.

As far as computers go, definitely

iTravis
05-28-2009, 11:14 PM
But you can't bring the computer while you're on the toilet (I don't wanna bring my lappy in there though :D) unless you're hardcore like me, tech magazines or some sort of adult magazines are perfect solution for toilet reading. :up:
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/9869/img0231a.jpg (http://img39.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0231a.jpg)

B.E.E.F.
05-29-2009, 04:24 AM
The Economist

twilyth
05-29-2009, 05:26 AM
I used to like PC Magazine because they covered everything from CPU architecture to O/S and software hints and how-tos. Then they started being mainly an end user publication and now they don't even publish a hard copy anymore. I was paid up for almost 5 years and I had to ask for a refund. I can't say I'm going to miss them though.

My other fave pubs are SciAm, Science News, PopSci, PopMech and Motor Trend.

Lu(ky
05-29-2009, 05:53 AM
CPU Magazine (Computer Power User) I think this one is the best shows computer mods, gaming, Anand etc... Check it out great mag... -----> H E R E (http://www.computerpoweruser.com/default.asp)

Stoner133
05-29-2009, 05:54 AM
High Times Magazine for the articals on growing, Mopar Muscle Magazine for storys on my favorite form of transportation and last Hustler just for the girls.

Cpl Ledanek
05-29-2009, 06:01 AM
Used to be MaximumPC & PCGamer, until they become a GQ magazine chokeful of ads

WrigleyVillain
05-29-2009, 06:31 AM
But you can't bring the computer while you're on the toilet (I don't wanna bring my lappy in there though :D) unless you're hardcore like me, tech magazines or some sort of adult magazines are perfect solution for toilet reading. :up:

Note the strategically placed bottle of moisturizer :rofl:

3Z3VH
05-29-2009, 06:37 AM
I have a subscription to WOOD, and some other BS I never read. Hehe, gotta love the inlaws for wasting money on a subscription to something I'm not the least bit interested. I mean c'mon, a woodworking subscription for an electronics guy?? Please!! They go into the trash as soon as they show up.

For some reason the first thing that came to mind was that magazine was some sort of :banana::banana::banana::banana:ography for women... Does that make me gay ?

little_scrapper
05-29-2009, 07:04 AM
For some reason the first thing that came to mind was that magazine was some sort of :banana::banana::banana::banana:ography for women... Does that make me gay ?

Yes. Yes it does. :yepp:
I think you just came out fo the closet :welcome: :rofl::ROTF:

Dont listen to your parents. There is nothing wrong with being gay. For you anyways.

little_scrapper
05-29-2009, 07:11 AM

That settup is just not workable. :down: First off you have to sit sidways to view some :banana::banana::banana::banana:o, or at least risk getting a kink in your next by rubbernecking sidways. Then when the mood hits, you have to reach all the way behind you to get some "moisturizer" :ROTF: After that you must crane your neck to continue eye contact with a virtual hotty while you try to use your penis to rub "moisturizer" into the palm of your hand. :rofl::up:

I would personally mount that computer in front of you with voice activated pointer and have the "moisturizer" suspended in front of me on some sort of motion detector sensor activated automatic despenser mechanism! :up:

EDIT: This type of brilliance is almost sigworthy!

iTravis
05-29-2009, 12:39 PM
That settup is just not workable. :down: First off you have to sit sidways to view some :banana::banana::banana::banana:o, or at least risk getting a kink in your next by rubbernecking sidways. Then when the mood hits, you have to reach all the way behind you to get some "moisturizer" :ROTF: After that you must crane your neck to continue eye contact with a virtual hotty while you try to use your penis to rub "moisturizer" into the palm of your hand. :rofl::up:

I would personally mount that computer in front of you with voice activated pointer and have the "moisturizer" suspended in front of me on some sort of motion detector sensor activated automatic despenser mechanism! :up:

EDIT: This type of brilliance is almost sigworthy!

I really admire your creative yet disturbing imagination. :clap::ROTF:

M31
05-29-2009, 01:49 PM
Like other have mentioned, the Internet has saved me a fortune in magazine buying in all of my hobby's, if pushed and I'm on a long train journey or something, then I'll buy Custom PC (UK mag) for a laugh at the outdated news and biased reviews they are famous for :p:

buddatech
06-01-2009, 06:33 AM
with the internet really no need for mag subs anymore, best toilet reading material is to take a cell phone with fast connection to the internet IE rev A or 3G network :up:

Quest_7F
06-04-2009, 02:53 PM

Lol no, thats what I thought...welcome to desensitized internet people:up:

phelan1777
06-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Back when I first started paying attention to hardware and overclocking........

like 98-99 I picked up my first issue of PC Gamer and it had a "Bible" for tweaking win98SE and for a few years after that I would pick one up occasionally from a mag store or a mag rack if I saw one.

Now I read pretty much 100% online.

RADCOM
06-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Custom PC, Pc Pro ( UK) and computer shopper. Occasionally I buy linux format and what hi and vision.

Serra
06-04-2009, 05:04 PM
Magazines still exist? Even when content is free, available in more depth, and significantly more current?

That said, my employer will be paying for a subscription to 2600 for me... so I guess I can just eat my own mocking tone. Or does it count when I get someone else to pay for it?

jcool
06-04-2009, 05:16 PM
I read the German HWLuxx printed magazine, really the only one I know that is not utterly useless. They mainly do WC block roundups or "Which x58 mobo overclocks best?" so really nice info sometimes.

It's done by freaks for freaks I guess (you can call them/us "enthusiasts" if you want :p:), so not really widely known or anything. The Hardwareluxx forums, on the other hand, are pretty popular I guess...

Klarko
06-07-2009, 02:27 PM
Used to be MaximumPC & PCGamer, until they become a GQ magazine chokeful of ads

this.

Angmaar
06-07-2009, 02:31 PM
I'm subscribed to Popular Science.

infinitesadd
06-08-2009, 10:43 AM
Beer Advocate Magazine. Great if you are into the whole craft beer scene. I used to get PCWorld but let it lapse.

Bradan
06-08-2009, 03:05 PM
High Times Magazine for the articals on growing, Mopar Muscle Magazine for storys on my favorite form of transportation and last Hustler just for the girls.

How do you get your tomatoes so juicy? :rofl:

twilyth
06-08-2009, 04:14 PM
I'm subscribed to Popular Science.

YEAH! Say it loud and proud! I love PopSci, PopMech.