PDA

View Full Version : Anyone mount their Rad upside down, bleeding any harder?

Camaroz06
05-26-2009, 12:45 PM
Hello All,
Anyone out there with their radiators mounted so the barbs are at the bottom? If so is bleeding the system any harder?

Thanks,
Eddie

kinghong1970
05-26-2009, 12:47 PM
those who mount their radiators on top of case internally or externally, this is the case... the barbs are facing below.
your bleeding occurs mostly in the reservoir and so it should not matter much.

you probably will get a workout by moving your case, tilting/flipping/rotating it to get all the air bubbles out the radiator... but once that is done, it's cool...

tuanster1119
05-26-2009, 12:47 PM
Bleeding will be a little harder but you can get around it by putting your case on the side or bleeding before you mount the rad.

ILikeCosmosS
05-26-2009, 12:48 PM
the way i see the best bleeding is that you install everything and the tubing then take the rads out and shake them when the pump is on

if you you want to do that i think shaking the case will be fine

ownage
05-26-2009, 12:52 PM
rad upside down is easier, because the trapped air won't get stuck in the tubing. If you have the rad in top of the case, the tubing will go from above to below. Air doesn't like to get pushed down.

I have one rad in the top, and one rad at the bottom upside down. The bottom rad never has been a problem, the rad in the top is always a problem with bleeding.
If you fill the loop, you should turn the rig in every way so you're sure there isn't air trapped. Lots of guys with the rad in the top have air in the rad, but don't even know it.

No1451
05-26-2009, 01:03 PM
Mine was like that, hanging on the back, I just turned the case on it's side so that the exit barb was facing upward, took all of 20 mins to fill/bleed and make sure of no air.

MomijiTMO
05-26-2009, 01:42 PM
One of mine is upside down and no issues. When I thought my loop was fully bled, I turned my pc 45 degrees and all these bubbles came out therefore it's ok so long as you can move your case around.

orangekiwii
05-26-2009, 05:41 PM
tj07 is annoying with that I presume because its so heavy

I want to put a rad in the top double slot... but i'm not sure its worth it because the amount of work it will entail to turn it upside down and what now

MomijiTMO
05-26-2009, 05:51 PM
You don't have to. . . it will just take longer to bleed if you don't.

SoulsCollective
05-26-2009, 06:01 PM
Used to have an MCR320 hanging off the back of a TJ-09 - bleeding does take longer, as the air-bubbles tend to stay trapped at the top of the rad. I didn't have to turn the case upside down, just lay it on its side for a while until the bubbles stopped appearing, then turned it onto the other side.

Note that this may not work with some setups - eg. if you're using an XSPC restop, you need to make damn sure that the water level in the res is high enough for the pump not to be sucking air.

samer_ab79
05-26-2009, 06:32 PM
guys can someone explain to me what is bleeding and how to do it, I started a thread here (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=225508) about choosing a res. and all the talk was about bleeding and I'm new to WC and I don't know anything about bleeding.

Thx,
Samer.

TMonte
05-26-2009, 06:56 PM
guys can someone explain to me what is bleeding and how to do it, I started a thread here (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=225508) about choosing a res. and all the talk was about bleeding and I'm new to WC and I don't know anything about bleeding.

Thx,
Samer.

"Bleeding" refers to bleeding (removing) air from the liquid in the loop. Pockets of air will become trapped in the loop during the fill process and you need to ensure all air is removed from the loop for proper operation and optimal performance. As air will naturally travel to the highest point(s) in the loop, you have to dislodge the air pockets by shifting the system around. The most common place for air to trap is in radiators (as described in this thread), but some blocks can also form small pockets. In general, if you have your reservoir near the top of the loop, it's relatively easy to do as it will bleed most of the air into the top of the reservoir as it passes through. I use a 12v hobby power supply to drive the pump for 24-36 hours to fully bleed the loop before starting everything up for the first time. You can do the same by jumping an ATX power supply (instructions are probably somewhere in the XS forums, or you can hit up your search engine of choice).

Good luck. :up:

samer_ab79
05-27-2009, 06:15 AM
Thx for the reply TMonte, I wonder if the screw on the radiator (that's a bleeding screw, right?) will help?

tuanster1119
05-27-2009, 06:19 AM
Thx for the reply TMonte, I wonder if the screw on the radiator (that's a bleeding screw, right?) will help?

from what I've heard, it doesn't help very much.

3Z3VH
05-27-2009, 07:41 AM
from what I've heard, it doesn't help very much.

It only helps if that screw is the highest point in your loop, and if you set your loop up in such a way that there is no other "High Point" where water can get trapped.

Quad-Damage
05-27-2009, 01:04 PM
Mine is like that, Bleeding was easy for me, I was able to move the rad and get the bleeding going easy.