PDA

View Full Version : exhaust from a radiator too hot to cool a PSU?

kinghong1970
05-26-2009, 10:59 AM
so trying to think of an Ape:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: way of mounting a 480 radiator in my soon-to-be-here TJ07, i think i may have a solution...

basically, i'll have to get a replacement PSU panel on the back so i can mount it flat... and it gives me enough room for a 480 and a fan on top of it...

now, this means that the exhaust of the radiator is going to go into the PSU... is it going to be too hot?

here's an image of what i want to do... requires chopping up the external enclosure of the PSU...

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f9/kinghong1970/TJ07Build.jpg

Hondacity
05-26-2009, 11:05 AM
if you're power supply is rated 50c, like some corsairs and enermax's they'll be fine,, theyve been tested in hotter conditions at jonnyguru.com

exemay
05-26-2009, 11:08 AM
why bother going to all that length if only 3 of the fans are going to be effective? why no just mount it like every 1 else does??

although it does look very good :P id like to see it done:up:

kinghong1970
05-26-2009, 11:11 AM
why bother going to all that length if only 3 of the fans are going to be effective? why no just mount it like every 1 else does??

although it does look very good :P id like to see it done:up:

cus some of us strive to become "THE" stick in the mud... :D

btw, the PSU is a Ultra X3 1000W

century child
05-26-2009, 11:26 AM
I like that idea and I hope it works out for you. I'd definitely make sure that the PSU is rated at 50C as Honda said. If you can't find any reviews that go so far as to test it like that, you could always check with the manufacturer I suppose.

MpG
05-26-2009, 11:43 AM
No worries, that Ultra X3 will laugh at a little hot air from the radiator. Definitely one of their better products. The fan may ramp up slightly (like any PSU in that situation), but that will be about the worst of it.

kinghong1970
05-26-2009, 11:45 AM
No worries, that Ultra X3 will laugh at a little hot air from the radiator. Definitely one of their better products. The fan may ramp up slightly (like any PSU in that situation), but that will be about the worst of it.

um... yea... about the fan... well, i was a bit concerned about lack of "exhaust" space from the rad at right above the PSU hence the ripping apart the PSU housiing...

so what i plan is to remove the fan... but maybe i can keep the PSU fan but drill a lot of holes on the PSU casing...

kimoyo
05-26-2009, 11:52 AM
What power supply do you have? The enermax revolutions have the fan mounted on the top so the airflow is already an L. If you wanted to take air through it maybe you can just reverse the fan direction.

But if you left the ps and rad the regular vertical way for the TJ07, maybe you could exhaust the enermax out the case side and put an acrylic divider between the bottom of the ps and the exhaust of the rad. Then put some small fans pulling the hot air from the rad out the back. You'd probably have 50mm of space between the ps and rad and a couple of 40mm fans should get the air moving. You might have to mod the ps panel a bit, but it doesn't seem that bad.

MpG
05-26-2009, 12:00 PM
um... yea... about the fan... well, i was a bit concerned about lack of "exhaust" space from the rad at right above the PSU hence the ripping apart the PSU housiing...

so what i plan is to remove the fan... but maybe i can keep the PSU fan but drill a lot of holes on the PSU casing...
Not sure how much you could modify the PSU without wrecking it completely. The PSU is packed fairly tightly, and you can only shorten the housing (on the fan side of the PSU) about 1/2" before you start hitting the modular plug interfaces.

Can't you just have the last radiator fan aim directly into the PSU? Kind of a push-push setup?

kinghong1970
05-26-2009, 12:06 PM
was thinking of creating more "vent" on the PSU housing... but i think leaving the PSU fan is a better solution...
the X3 has such a beautiful finish...

exemay
05-26-2009, 12:16 PM
was thinking of creating more "vent" on the PSU housing... but i think leaving the PSU fan is a better solution...
the X3 has such a beautiful finish...

hmmm i cant think how you could fix this problem, if you take the fan out then it may well overheat, but if you leave it in then the conflicting speeds of the fans may cause a bit of noise......couldnt you take out the top fan, and cut out a 80mm hole...or similar size and put the fan at the back of the PSU????

Brodholm
05-26-2009, 12:31 PM
Just a question. Is it recommended if the radiator air blows over the motherboard to "cool" (or heat maybe) the components? Or is it preferred to take push out the hot air from the rads to the outside directly again? (like you would do on a normal TJ07)

I.e. take air form the outside and blow it out again? If its better I may do that and redesign my chassis again...

Is the 120mm that usually sits on the motherboard tray enough to cool the mosfets and memmory? Or do i need a extra fan that takes fresh air into the chassis?

kinghong1970
05-26-2009, 12:44 PM
Just a question. Is it recommended if the radiator air blows over the motherboard to "cool" (or heat maybe) the components? Or is it preferred to take push out the hot air from the rads to the outside directly again? (like you would do on a normal TJ07)

I.e. take air form the outside and blow it out again? If its better I may do that and redesign my chassis again...

Is the 120mm that usually sits on the motherboard tray enough to cool the mosfets and memmory? Or do i need a extra fan that takes fresh air into the chassis?

in an ideal world, it's best to have the radiator isolated by itself with a good air supply and exhaust...

then some air flow over your MB/components...
it would matter less if you have your GPU, NB/SB, and PWM under water...

but i rather have a bit more silence and so i want to have my radiator fans inside the case and pulling air down through the case or pulling air from the bottom of the case and "warmer" air travel over the insides of the case.

Brodholm
05-26-2009, 01:05 PM
in an ideal world, it's best to have the radiator isolated by itself with a good air supply and exhaust...

then some air flow over your MB/components...
it would matter less if you have your GPU, NB/SB, and PWM under water...

but i rather have a bit more silence and so i want to have my radiator fans inside the case and pulling air down through the case or pulling air from the bottom of the case and "warmer" air travel over the insides of the case.

Ok, How much cooling do you actually "need" on mosfets/nb/sb etc? I know NEED is a word that is very different from user to user here at XS. But I mean NEED as in NEED TO NOT GO UP IN FLAMES.

I'm thinking of cooling them in the same loop as the cpu but I'm not sure. Because I know i can make the rads almost isolated and still get a 120mm intake and a 120mm exhaust fan on the motherboard tray for the motherboard compartment. Is this something I should prioritize?

kinghong1970
05-26-2009, 01:09 PM
a 120mm intake through the HDD, then a 120mm exhaust near the i/o plate should be more than enough... especially if you're putting the NB/SB, GPU, PWM under water...

Brodholm
05-26-2009, 01:37 PM
a 120mm intake through the HDD, then a 120mm exhaust near the i/o plate should be more than enough... especially if you're putting the NB/SB, GPU, PWM under water...

ok, thanks! Maybe going with the rad blowing air through the chassis after all.

alphadog009
05-26-2009, 02:58 PM
this looks like a good idea... maybe something to think about if you want to mount 2 2x120 mm rads althought there probably isnt enough room for that, but if you had that really thin 480 rad maybe a possibility...