PDA

View Full Version : Weird issue. PC locks up.

xdrift0rx
05-22-2009, 11:03 AM
this problem is really weird. i can run my PC perfectly fine at 400x9. though when i try to run 450x8, after about a minute of being on it just locks up. sometimes it sits frozen, with the desktop viewable. other times it just reboots. i dont know if its a hardware issue, or a windows 7 issue but ive used 7000,7100 and 7127 now and they all do the same thing. no matter what voltages i use, or settings i change in the BIOS (BESIDES CPU FEATURES) it screws up. Is there a way to make windows 7 not notice the cpu features? i HAVE to have c1e, executable bit, thermal management and one other running along with virtualization in order for windows 7 to not take a :banana::banana::banana::banana: on me. has anyone else had this issue???

enteon
05-22-2009, 03:34 PM
as far as i know every modern OS does its own hardware-recognition at some (early) stage of the boot process. therefore nearly impossible to keep a closed source OS from doing the thing it should ;)

but maybe your problem rather is that your computer can't sustain a 450 mhz fsb. either it's simply too high or it's one of those misterious 'holes' where nothing goes but anywhere below and above everything does fine.

i would load optimized settings and play around with the oc first.

Godofwar424
05-23-2009, 07:44 AM
Q6600 have a general 400FSB limit. Its only the newer 45nm that can go to 500fsb and beyond. Also running at 450 FSB is putting alot more strain on the motherboard (north bridge) even if you have lowered the multiplier. Try upping the NB voltage. Othewise stick with 400fsb.

xdrift0rx
05-23-2009, 11:52 AM
im currently putting 1.68 v into my northbridge....should i try more? i can go up to 1.73v. i do have active cooling on it.

i dont think its my cpu. im almost positive it isnt.

my board is known for having a weak PWM, and i thought that might be it. and it does get fairly warm...even with active cooling also.

i was thinking of throwing my q6600 in my dfi p35 to see how that goes, though i cant use my GTX275s then if thats the case, which is a real bummer.