PDA

View Full Version : Any way to transfer a work queue?

Sparky
05-22-2009, 09:05 AM
I'm going to be reloading my main PC (changing hardware) and I realized I should have punched the "no new tasks" button a couple days ago so the queue would be empty when I formatted :doh:

Is there a way to transfer the work to the new windows install? If not, maybe I should wait a couple days for my queue to empty out :shrug:

haschioz
05-22-2009, 09:54 AM
guess the easiest way to do it, is just leave for a couple of days till you have no more wu. then do the upgrade, no hassle figuring out how to save the wu.

i am not sure but you might be able to save the workunits copy them onto new installation but im not sure if boinc recognizes them:shrug:

Gamekiller
05-22-2009, 03:52 PM
I forget where I found them, but I know I did. I found the work units so I personally think you could save them to a disk or flash drive and put them back after on the new install. I'm not sure myself, I'm actually in the exact same situation as you. I hit the no new tasks button though because I'm in no hurry.

MikeB12
05-22-2009, 03:59 PM
this is just a guess because I'm a noob. but when I installed the client a couple days ago, I changed the default proram and data destination so it would not install on my SSD..

and from looking at the 2 locations, the data folder is the one with the projects...

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/9541/capturewvw.jpg

so what I would try is copy the data folder..
install the client on your new pc, don't connect yet, and then paste the old data folder over the new one..
see if that works...

- just to be safe I'd probably disable the nic during the new client install so it couldn't connect until I had time to copy over the data.

Angmaar
05-22-2009, 04:04 PM
You could put your BOINC folder on a flash drive. And then replace it after the reformat.

Lu523
05-22-2009, 04:09 PM
1) Suspend BOINC & Exit.
2) Copy the BOINC folder to another location - most of mine are on the same physical hard disk drive, which doesn't protect against equipment failure but it does allow you to restore & resume a model that's gone haywire.
3) Restart BOINC.

To restore it, just delete all contents of the original folder & copy the backup's contents back into the original folder & restart BOINC - I've done this a couple of times and it worked for me.

Not sure if that will work with a clean install or not.

Sparky
05-22-2009, 04:15 PM
Thanks I'll give that a shot, unless I end up not getting to the stuff for a couple days and my queue empties by itself.

By the way has the reason for Vista 64 and HPF causing computation errors been found? I still lose a quarter or so of my HPF units :down:

Ashraf
05-22-2009, 04:18 PM
This is how I do....

Click Exit under File from the BOINC Manager window. If you have BOINC startup enabled, then go to the Processes tab to end 'boinctray.exe' from the Task Manager. Create two new folders 'ProgFilesBAK' and 'ProgDataBAK' in any location or a USB drive to transfer the working units. Copy the BOINC folder from C:\Program Files to 'ProgFilesBAK' and C:\ProgramData to 'ProgDataBAK'.

After reformatting and installing BOINC, do not restart your computer yet. Just copy and paste the backup folders into the BOINC's original locations. Finally, restart your computer.

Snow Crash
05-22-2009, 04:29 PM
By the way has the reason for Vista 64 and HPF causing computation errors been found? I still lose a quarter or so of my HPF units :down:
Nope ... still a mystery and they have determined that there are so few with this problem that I don't think they plan to look at it even after they get the new projects (and that pos CEP) straightened out. I deselected it from my projects ... maybe after I have a year on all other projects i will try it again.

Duh
05-22-2009, 05:21 PM
Off topic:
@MikeB12: we do not fold, we crunch :)

Sparky
05-22-2009, 06:03 PM
Off topic:
@MikeB12: we do not fold, we crunch :)

He and I do both :D

INFRNL
05-22-2009, 07:36 PM
^^^ I think he said that as a joke cause Mike has WCG under folding sub folder and WCG should be under crunching or distributed computing, lol

MikeB12
05-23-2009, 12:42 AM
:rofl: that was an easy and convenient place to put the wcg folder since I didn't want it on my 60gb Vertex SSD C: drive with all the small read/writes...
all my dc fah stuff is in there,
let's hope the new WCG move-in doesn't stay up all night partying http://www.xtremespeakfreely.com/forum/images/smilies/drink.gif
and cause problems with the neighbors.
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/2417/captureayt.jpg