PDA

View Full Version : Lucky me...

l33t p1mp
05-18-2009, 05:12 PM
Sometimes I think I'm the luckiest person on earth...

15 minutes ago, I was having some trouble booting into windows 7 which is on my 640 gig drive. I also have 2 raptors, 1 has windows vista, and the other is just storage.

I had the power from the main raptor unplugged, and the pc was on. I plugged it in, and a spark JUMPED to my finger...

How many amps does it take to kill a person? My finger is kinda black and stings, but feels fine.

Must be something with XS and hard drives lol. :D

[XC] riptide
05-18-2009, 05:16 PM
Sometimes I think I'm the luckiest person on earth...

15 minutes ago, I was having some trouble booting into windows 7 which is on my 640 gig drive. I also have 2 raptors, 1 has windows vista, and the other is just storage.

I had the power from the main raptor unplugged, and the pc was on. I plugged it in, and a spark JUMPED to my finger...

How many amps does it take to kill a person? My finger is kinda black and stings, but feels fine.

Must be something with XS and hard drives lol. :D

Yes 50mA across the heart will kill you. How black is your finger? I worry about you sometimes. That sounds like more volts than the 12V feed from a PSU.

thebluemeanie1
05-18-2009, 06:27 PM
BODILY EFFECT DIRECT CURRENT (DC) 60 Hz AC 10 kHz AC
---------------------------------------------------------------
Slight sensation Men = 1.0 mA 0.4 mA 7 mA
felt at hand(s) Women = 0.6 mA 0.3 mA 5 mA
Threshold of Men = 5.2 mA 1.1 mA 12 mA
perception Women = 3.5 mA 0.7 mA 8 mA
Painful, but Men = 62 mA 9 mA 55 mA
voluntary muscle Women = 41 mA 6 mA 37 mA
control maintained
Painful, unable Men = 76 mA 16 mA 75 mA
to let go of wires Women = 51 mA 10.5 mA 50 mA
Severe pain, Men = 90 mA 23 mA 94 mA
difficulty Women = 60 mA 15 mA 63 mA
breathing
Possible heart Men = 500 mA 100 mA
fibrillation Women = 500 mA 100 mA
after 3 seconds

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_3/4.html More Info in the link. :up:

HuffPCair
05-18-2009, 06:32 PM
Dude that happened to my main hard drive and it is still working LOL. Even melted the connector that was orginally on it. I have been using it like that for like half a year now though. No problems at all.

Movieman
05-18-2009, 06:34 PM
I got locked to a wet floor and metal shelving with a shorted out 50amp 220v line so you'll understand if I'm not that impressed!:rofl:

HuffPCair
05-18-2009, 06:35 PM
I got locked to a wet floor and metal shelving with a shorted out 50amp 220v line so you'll understand if I'm not that impressed!:rofl:

Shoot I used to work in high voltage. I cant even count how many times I got fried cause some idiot would tell me the breaker was off and it end up not being.

Luckily I do just low voltage stuff now till I am done with school.

Movieman
05-18-2009, 06:38 PM
Shoot I used to work in high voltage. I cant even count how many times I got fried cause some idiot would tell me the breaker was off and it end up not being.

Luckily I do just low voltage stuff now till I am done with school.

I was lucky. I was frozen solid and this young lady of app 6'2" and 200+lbs ran at me and hit me with a football block and knocked me free.. and app 6ft onto my backside.

l33t p1mp
05-18-2009, 06:40 PM
My hard drive still works fine, thankfully. I'm posting from it right now, and no problems. These raptors are some tough ones!

How many amps go to hard drives? My finger still hurts but the black is gone...sorta.

HuffPCair
05-18-2009, 06:42 PM
My hard drive still works fine, thankfully. I'm posting from it right now, and no problems. These raptors are some tough ones!

How many amps go to hard drives? My finger still hurts but the black is gone...sorta.

It will hurt for a bit. The black is most likely a burn so yeah it is suppose to hurt.

Got me on the hard drive part though.

fart_plume
05-18-2009, 06:55 PM
wimps .........I had an electrican friend that would intentionally alarm out a 15,000 volt dielectric tester just for kicks...........

masterg
05-18-2009, 06:59 PM
volts are not amps. volts wont kill you, amps will. 15,000volts at .5mA may not kill you or even make your finger go numb, but .5volts at .7A will see you dead on the floor

thebluemeanie1
05-18-2009, 08:19 PM
A .5 volt source if held with a finger from each hand on each terminal will produce aproximately .0000005 amps. ;) http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_3/4.html Read up :up:

Jamesrt2004
05-18-2009, 11:24 PM
volts are not amps. volts wont kill you, amps will. 15,000volts at .5mA may not kill you or even make your finger go numb, but .5volts at .7A will see you dead on the floor

+1 had an electrician mate of mine talk to me about it for like an hour at work once(it was raining so we didn't want to go outside lol)

[XC] 2long4u
05-19-2009, 12:44 AM
It is at about 40 volts that it can conduct through your body. Anything less is safe to touch.
A 50,000 volt shock from a HEI distributor is a pretty nice jolt.

Serpentarius
05-19-2009, 12:51 AM
man ... finger turned black? talk about scary

Particle
05-19-2009, 05:19 AM
You probably didn't get shocked. 12V isn't enough to cross a gap of any noticeable length. What you experienced was much more likely a piece of super-heated metal that flew off, just as if you had been hit by a grain of metal from a grinder wheel. No danger there other than plain old heat damage.

The following information is subject to the disclaimer following it.

Voltage and current aren't isolated forces, either. V / R = I At 12 volts, the current that would pass through you is completely dependent upon the resistance exhibited by your body. It may range anywhere from 500K to 10M just depending on the orientation of the moon, what week of the month it is, the last three digits of your SSN, body temperature, and the last time you had pepper steak. But unless you're wet (rained on, sweaty, otherwise), very moist (fever, etc), or have an active wound (anywhere blood is leaking) you aren't even going to be able to sense 12V, yet alone be in danger by it. If you, in an average state, were to touch the terminals of a car battery (12-13V), you would feel nothing. However, if you were to cut yourself open and stick in a AA battery (1.5V), you would die.

DISCLAIMER: While the above information should be correct, I accept no responsibility if your results differ and you or someone else encounter injury or death. Seek further advice from an authoritative source. I say this solely out of legal concern.