PDA

View Full Version : welding plastics

trakie
11-12-2003, 04:55 PM
can i use a regular oxyacetaline torch to weld plastics together for say a nice clear homemade reservoir? or something similar?

are there any plastic welders or plastic welding techniques that are special to welding plastic?

i have limited experience in welding metals, basicaly just fooling around with blow torch :)

thanks in advance for the help guys

Holst
11-21-2003, 09:29 AM
In a word... NO.

Glue is the thing to use on plastic as if you get the right stuff it will "melt" the bits together making a watertight bond.

amd3001
11-23-2003, 03:25 PM
yes i seen a plastic welder at northern hydraulics or
northern tool i can remember which.. or it might have
been Grainger.

Lithan
11-24-2003, 10:20 AM
Yeah... Just pick up some epoxy designed for watertight High strength seals on plastics. Maybe 5$. Melting the plastic together is possible... but epoxy can do that much more effectively than you with a torch of any kind.

Slickthellama
11-24-2003, 02:04 PM
Yes, you can, and there are tools, however, you dont need them for your situation. Get epoxy.

Tedinde
12-16-2003, 10:43 PM
yes i seen a plastic welder at northern hydraulics or

Friend of mine had a plastic welder, came with colored sticks of i guess plastic, Went into the back like a hot glue gun. He owns a Custom Car stereo place.

No way i would trust it for a resovoir.

I've used some permatex, 2 part clear Epoxy, and made a nice Res. before. You'll break the plastic before you'll break the seam with this stuff.