PDA

View Full Version : [Advice] Dual system loop, one rad

DaMaster_Archit
05-18-2009, 12:29 AM
Hey,

Recently I have succesfully setup watercooling for my new rig, and it's working perfectly. These are the specs:

CPU Block: Swiftech Apogee GTZ
Videocard WB/WBs: HD4870X2
Radiator & Fans: Watercool Mora-2 pro with 9 yate-loon fans @9V
Reservoir: XSPC Bay reservoir ( one 5.25" bay )
Tubing & Size: Tygon R3606 8x1.5mm
Pump: Laying DDC-1 pro (MPC355)

Currently, the loop cools very well. However, I am hungry for expansion.

Now, I have a NAS which is seated right below my main rig in a 19" rack setup. Since this nas is a noisy beast, I figured I want to watercool it aswell.
To clarify: I want to cool the processor, an old opteron 170. This beasty gets quite hot, and with an aircooler, the server makes lots of noise. Since it is a storage server, I want it to be silent. :)
However, since I already have a huge-ass 9x120 rad that is meant to cool multiple systems, I like to use that very same rad for this system as well.

Also, I want to be able to run both loops independent from eachother, i.e. the main system should be able to be turned off while the nas is running. This means I need another pump to connect to the PSU of the NAS. I thought one pump alone wouldn't have the performance to run both loops.

Here's a pic I made using an ingenious tool that microsoft provided:
http://i42.tinypic.com/2i04wwl.png
note: side-view, the rad is seated below both systems

Now my question: How do I create a setup that can handle this? Would it be smart to use only Y-splitters at the rad? I can imagine this can give trouble with the pump of a system that is shutdown, as water will flow through it as well.
Do I need valves to shut down the loop to the main system if I only want to use the NAS for example?
I'd like to hear your advice on this :)

LOUISSSSS
05-18-2009, 12:39 AM
nas = network attached storage? u want to WC hard drives? you're aware that the hdd's will still spin and seek right?

DaMaster_Archit
05-18-2009, 12:43 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. It is indeed a storage server, used *mainly* for storage, but also for other stuff.

Sorry that I wasn't clear. I want to cool the processor, an old opteron 170. This beasty gets quite hot, and with an aircooler, the server makes lots of noise. Since it is a storage server, I want it to be silent :)

Fragger
05-18-2009, 01:21 AM
I would add your server cpu to your loop. Use a small psu to power just your pump so it is independant of both your systems so it does not matter which is on both will be cooled. Im sure your pump would be able to handle a unrestrictive block such as a Apogee GT or the like. Since both your systems are beside each other I see this as the cheapest ( no need for another pump, just a block and some tubing ) option.

NaeKuh
05-18-2009, 09:37 AM
NAS's shouldn't be watercooled.

Just a warning.

NAS should be made of something that is:

1. Uber reliable so you really dont need to give it any attention basically.
2. Uber fast to replace incase something goes down (afterall your entire data is stored on it.)

My NAS is the only computer i wont watercool no matter how many times i actually concept it.

Trust me, ask the other guys with red names how many times i was tempted to LC my sammy, yet its on air, and always will be on air.

OP think twice b4 going after your NAS. A lot can be done with a big sink + undervolted processor.

Why are you gonna overclock your NAS anyhow unless its crunching, which then its no longer a NAS, but a Cruncher.

3Z3VH
05-18-2009, 11:42 AM
You never want to join two separate loops with y-splitters, as one pump will almost always overpower the other, restricting the flow of the weaker pump's loop.

Also, I agree with NaeKuh, the NAS is the one box on your network that should never have to be powered down for any reason (unless you also have a domain controller, in which case neither should be ever powered down (and honestly both roles should be filled by one box anyway)). If anything happens with the loop, you will need to power-down the NAS. Or, if you shut one machine down, suddenly you have one pump trying to circulate both loops. It is just a bad idea all around.

Also, everyone is talking about cooling the NAS for overclocking or cooling the hard drives... but I am thinking you most likely wanted to cool it so it is quieter (seeing as you said it was a noisy beast). Well, honestly, most NAS boxes are going to be fairly loud anyway with all those spindles. The easiest/cheapest/best way to quiet a NAS box, is to just toss it in another room or closet. You never need to log into it except for maintenance, so you either remote into it using VNC/Remote Desktop/SSH, or just go hook up a monitor only when you need to maintain it. Otherwise, it just sits there and runs. I think that is more a problem with location, than a need for a different cooling solution.

DaMaster_Archit
05-18-2009, 12:59 PM
thanks for the replies, I understand what you are saying. While I agree as well that the top priority of a true nas is reliability and 24/7 uptime, my set of requirements are slightly different from the purposes of a nas.

My set of requirements are:
- redundant storage for files and backups with mdadm software raid 5 (4x 1TB)
- audio and video streaming
- development (think of LAMP, PHP & MySQL development)
- video capturing
- downloading
- extremely quiet, as it should be able to run during the nights.
- location: the very same small student room I live and sleep in, as this is the only room I have.
- constructed from old hardware parts (s939 opteron 170, a8n-sli premium)
- fit in a 2u rack
- downtime is not an issue.

I have bolded the things that are making me resort to watercooling.

Since I do live in a single room, which is not that large, location is key. Therefore one of the requirements is the lack of noise or when possible any background noise at all. All my chosen parts are very quiet, except for the used opteron 170. During raid synching the cpu has a relatively high load, resulting in high temps. The opty 170 can get very hot. Together with the currently used A-brand cooler this results in insane cooler rpms (6000rpm), eventhough the processor is clocked down and volted down.
Another issue is that big (passive) coolers cannot be used since they simply do not fit in a case that is 89mm tall.

This very issue was the reason I opted for watercooling, as quietness is requirement number one. Also, I found it a good chance to experiment even further with watercooling.

Besides, I do not mind having to care for the nas relatively often, if this enables me to have a noiseless nas.

I hope you can now understand my reasoning behind the choice for watercooling something which is essentially a NAS. I understand what you say naekuh, and I agree with you, but since my requirements are different, I do think watercooling would be an option.

Fragger
05-18-2009, 01:40 PM
Yeah just go with one big loop.

3Z3VH
05-18-2009, 02:42 PM
I say go with one big loop, locate the reservoir either externally, or in the NAS, and put some quick disconnects on the tubes going in, and out of the Main PC, and also putting some y-adapters with a tubing to bypass the main PC all together, and a valve to cut flow in that bypass. The valve will be shut off so it does not pass water through the bypass, and instead, it goes through the PC. When you need to disconnect the PC, just shut it down, flip the valve so water goes through the bypass, and disconnect the main PC using the quick disconnects. Now, the NAS is still up and running while the PC is being worked on.

Something like this:
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii184/3Z3VH/2i04wwl.png

I still wish someone would create this whole bypass scenario as a single product... So you can just flip a lever, and it will bypass the current, seal off the disconnects, and disconnect them. That way you could run just one big loop for several computers, and disconnect them as-needed for maintenance. This is very similar to how they do watercooling for datacenters. Just attach the device to the back of each computer and go.