PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP: Problem with Swiftech MCP655 Pump

aireent777
05-16-2009, 04:26 AM
Hi, I need help on my new Swiftech MCP655 Pump. I just finished hooking up my watercooling rig and now I'm doing some leak test. I tried hooking the pump directly to the PSU but it just won't start. As what I read on some of the threads here, I tried starting the PSU by putting a clip/jumper to both the Green wire and the Black wire on the 20-24 PIN. But again the pump wouldn't start. I hope I could find answers here or anybody encountered the same problem, your help and advise will be greatly appreciated.

Russ_64
05-16-2009, 04:40 AM
First make sure that you have a proper connection in the molex (4 pin) plug for the pump - I actually tape mine to ensure constant fit.
As for 24pin - yes, it is green and black - on my old 20 pin test plug they are 13&14 or 3rd & 4th from the end.....

lohoutlaw
05-16-2009, 04:41 AM
Did you do any work on that pump?

I did some work on mine and forgot that the 12v red wire (on pump) needs to be hooked up to the 12v yellow wire on the PSU molex. LOL
Here i was trying to run red wire (on pump) on red (on PSU) and forgot that the red wire on PSU was only 5v. LOL

MomijiTMO
05-16-2009, 05:04 AM
Jump starting -> green to black.
Make sure nothing else is connected to your psu.
Turn on psu.
Go

If it's not working for you, flick the crap out of your pump [chamber]. Once I had a sizable air bubble which made my 355's impeller not start. It's worth a shot!

Prince21
05-16-2009, 05:09 AM
Well dunno if this is answer to your problem but I had similar issue, my pump wouldnt start and directly connected to PSU, I was so stupid, the PC has to be on for the pump to work, So I connected just the power to the motherboard no other power and the pump pressed the on button on PC motherboard lit up and pump started working.

Conumdrum
05-16-2009, 05:13 AM
I use an older PSU. Jumpered the green to a black, covered it with tape. Connected my pump to a standard molex. I have done this with a MCP655 and a MCP355. Turn on the power switch on the PSU, pump starts up.

Good reading if your first loop, something someone wanted to sticky I wrote. Good first time info..........
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=312743

aireent777
05-16-2009, 05:28 AM
Thanks for all your suggestions guys. I already tried switching the yellow wire with the red one but it seems there's still no action on the pump. What do you mean by the PC has to be on for the pump to work? Is the pump supposed to work even if it's only connected directly to the PSU with the green and black wire clipped? I tried hooking the same line with the fans and lights and they worked except for the pump. The position on the MCP655 is correct, the direction on the inlet and outlet is correct. By the way, I changed the stock top of the MCP655 with the EK-D5 X-TOP. Does that affect the pump start up?

kinghong1970
05-16-2009, 05:33 AM
Thanks for all your suggestions guys. I already tried switching the yellow wire with the red one but it seems there's still no action on the pump. What do you mean by the PC has to be on for the pump to work? Is the pump supposed to work even if it's only connected directly to the PSU with the green and black wire clipped? I tried hooking the same line with the fans and lights and they worked except for the pump. The position on the MCP655 is correct, the direction on the inlet and outlet is correct. By the way, I changed the stock top of the MCP655 with the EK-D5 X-TOP. Does that affect the pump start up?

no, the computer does NOT have to be on for PSU to supply power to the molex... as long as your green and black is shorted/jumped correctly on the main 24 pin connector.

1) check your jumper again... green and black... try using a bit of copper wire (solid)...

2) check your psu against a fan see if it powers up

3) replace the original top on the pump and try it again.

if it does not work... then it may be time to rma.

WatZp
05-16-2009, 08:05 AM
no, the computer does NOT have to be on for PSU to supply power to the molex... as long as your green and black is shorted/jumped correctly on the main 24 pin connector.

1) check your jumper again... green and black... try using a bit of copper wire (solid)...

2) check your psu against a fan see if it powers up

3) replace the original top on the pump and try it again.

if it does not work... then it may be time to rma.
Thanks a lot:up:, I'm noob here and don't know this technique. For my first build I connected all the cables to motherboard then power up:shakes:

Sadasius
05-16-2009, 08:18 AM
Sounds like it has no power to me. Plug in a fan and see if that works. I have the Swiftech one's myself and they start up right away. Just did a leak test myself last night and they are running pretty good and are pretty quiet at setting 5. I am using DetroitAC tops on both.

aireent777
05-16-2009, 08:22 AM
It did power up fans and lights but not with the pump. I guess it's broken after all. But I'm still not sure...

Sadasius
05-16-2009, 08:35 AM
Hmmm perhaps it's the top. Change it back to the stock top and try that. Maybe the pump is binding on the new top.

05-16-2009, 12:01 PM
I have found that a lot of power supplies won't actually turn on if you jumper the green and black wires on the 24-pin connector, I constantly run into this problem when filling my loop, and I also use an MCP655. I think it is very possible the PSU is at fault here.

sabe
05-16-2009, 12:11 PM
If water is not pumping, make sure you have a water source (res or large rad) that is feeding water to it. There *MUST* be water already in the pump or it will fail to pump properly.

If the motor doesn't even spin, it sounds like its defective. Its always easy to test whether you jump started your PSU correctly. Just connect a fan to one of the molex connectors.

gabe
05-16-2009, 03:40 PM
We just received the following email from aireent777:

Hi, I recently bought a Swiftech MCP655 and when I powered it up out from the box, it failed. It doesn't have power. I tested the same lines with fans, lights, etc. they all powered up except for the pump. I purchased this one from [edited out]. I think it's a factory defect. Please let me know on how to power this up correctly. Thanks - aireent777@[edited out].com

Reading the above post from the beginning, it is unclear if he tested the pump in its original condition, as he begins by stating that he's completing his setup and the pump won't start.. then he adds in a subsequent post he replaced the top by an aftermarket EK.

So for clarification I would like to ask the following question in public here:

Did you in fact test the pump "out of the box" like you say in your email to me - meaning in its original factory condition?

aireent777
05-16-2009, 05:15 PM
Yes of course there's a reservoir connected to the pump prior to starting it as what the pump's manual said to avoid voiding the warranty. What I meant by "out of the box" was this is the first time I tested it meaning first start up, then it won't start. And yes I changed the top with the after market EK D5 X-TOP prior to it's first start up. It's just a quick change. Does that affect the pump's operation?

DementeD
05-16-2009, 06:33 PM
i would remove the top and maybe reinstall see if u might of messed anything up during the installation etc..or even reinstall the stock top..

MpG
05-16-2009, 09:17 PM
Did you try cycling the speed knob, just to make sure it wasn't a single speed setting that was borked?

JOCKTHEGLIDE
05-16-2009, 10:00 PM
well either way its hard to overload those pumps theD5 pumps I once game my d5 pump 300amps of power and granted it shut down and ruined my mobo, but hey it still ran again 10mins like a champ....

We just received the following email from aireent777:

Hi, I recently bought a Swiftech MCP655 and when I powered it up out from the box, it failed. It doesn't have power. I tested the same lines with fans, lights, etc. they all powered up except for the pump. I purchased this one from [edited out]. I think it's a factory defect. Please let me know on how to power this up correctly. Thanks - aireent777@[edited out].com

Reading the above post from the beginning, it is unclear if he tested the pump in its original condition, as he begins by stating that he's completing his setup and the pump won't start.. then he adds in a subsequent post he replaced the top by an aftermarket EK.

So for clarification I would like to ask the following question in public here:

Did you in fact test the pump "out of the box" like you say in your email to me - meaning in its original factory condition?

aireent777
05-16-2009, 10:05 PM
Good news! The pump is okey now. Sorry for all the misleading. Thank you for all your suggestions including Mr. Swiftech himself Gabe. I forgot to switched the Black wires from COM 3 to COM 2 while switching the RED (5V) to YELLOW (12V) MY BAD! If it wasn't for Mr. lohoutlaw, I wouldn't be able to figure out the Black wires so thank you lohoutlaw. Again I will now proceed with the leak test...wish me luck!

WatZp
05-17-2009, 05:05 AM
Problem solved, have fun with your WC.

MomijiTMO
05-17-2009, 05:14 AM
Oh lol.

Glad to see the pump is alive!