PDA

View Full Version : probably a dumb ? but oh well

DementeD
05-15-2009, 04:20 PM
um..basically my loop needs refilling more then i can remember on my old loop???...now i just want to know if this is common or not..ive tested for leaks when first doing the loop and got all that figured out etc...and i would say im 100% positive theres no leaks now however the loop needs refilling pretty often...i do keep it on 24/7 so yea just wanna check into this..

if it matters im using a micro-res d5 pump mcr320 rad gtz block...thanks for the info :D

YMAA
05-15-2009, 04:28 PM
Water won't just evaporate like that, since it's a closed loop. The most likely explanation is (assuming you really don't have a leak) there's still air bubbles trapped somewhere in the loop and they're being worked out slowly for some reason. If that's the case, just play the waiting game and see if the problem goes away.

DementeD
05-15-2009, 04:51 PM
^ i was thinking this since every once in a while..the loop will like.."gurggle"? ...and i see bubbles go into the res..im almost positive i dont have a leak..i can see the waterblock plain as day...and where the pump/res and the barbs on the rad are...they all sit close together and on sound dampening material which if they leaked it would leak onto that and its never wet to the touch nor do i see any drips..not saying it cant be there but im pretty sure its not..also the comp sits on my desk so if the rad it self leaked the water would make it onto the desk and never ever is it wet under the comp..again this doesnt prove for sure that theres no leak but with gravity and physics etc ..im pretty sure id see a sign of a leak :D

eth0s
05-15-2009, 04:59 PM
Water can and will evaporate out of your "closed" loop, so don't worry about it. If it is evaporating more now than before, then the following could be true:

(1) the water is hotter now than it was before. (the hotter the water, the faster it will evaporate);

(2) the air in the room is drier. (lower humidity in the air will increase evaporation);

(3) there could be more air flow over the entire system, which will increase evaporation;

(4) the top on the reservoir could be looser than before;

(5) and there are probably other possible reasons that I cannot think of right now.

As long as you don't have any leaks (and you should really suspect a leak if the water volume is going down quickly), then don't worry about it. One positive aspect of evaporation is that it is good for cooling, since evaporating water takes a good deal of heat away with it: 540 calories of heat per gram of water evaporated, so it's not all bad.

One other thing to think about, do you have an OC'd cpu and 2 video cards on one MCR 320? You might be overloading the heat exchanging capacity of that radiator, which means that your water temps might be as high as 40C, which would definitely increase evaporation. Do you feel hot air blowing out of the radiator? And are the tubes warm to the touch?

Conumdrum
05-15-2009, 05:00 PM
If it gurgles yea you got bubbles probably in the rad for sure.

YMAA
05-15-2009, 05:03 PM
Even if the water was evaporating, it wouldn't be doing so at such a noticeable rate in such a small period of time. Air pockets are much, much more likely, particularly since he's hearing gurgles.

alacheesu
05-15-2009, 05:04 PM
Not a dumb question at all. My guess is the same as above, air still trapped somewhere. I had a dual rad loop that took weeks to remove all air from. If you're not seeing anything that looks like a leak I would just continue to add coolant for a while and see if it slows down/stops.

DementeD
05-15-2009, 05:42 PM
i also didnt think about it but...the res i have now is smaller then before as well so maybe thats another reason i notice it more..since now its a completely different loop then what i had before..but im thinking both of the thoughts are correct with some air bubbles still being in the loop along with normal evaporation occurring
thanks for the information guys appreciate it