PDA

View Full Version : Can I run all these using 1 Laing D5?

hchristian
05-13-2009, 06:21 PM
Currently I am running one loop in this order :

Laing D5 -> Swiftech 360 -> GTZ (cooling an i7 920) -> XSPC 4870 VGA Block

I am thinking of getting a BP or EK chipset and mosfet block to add in the loop

Do you guys think the flow will still be ok?

I have limited room in my Cosmos case for another pump...

Boogerlad
05-13-2009, 06:30 PM
it'll be okay i think, but you could use martin's flow rate estimator...

hchristian
05-13-2009, 06:49 PM
Eeeek..

Using that calculator with some older parts (GTX, XSPC 3870 and all), without the NB and mosfet block the flow is around 1.5GPM, with NB and mosfet its almost 1.3GPM.

Still ok?

No one is doing updating for Martin's tool? Great stuff!

jkresh
05-13-2009, 08:45 PM
look at the reviews of your blocks to see flow vs performance, but as far as I can remember from what Martin said when he posted his tool anything over 1gpm should be fine. Some blocks handle higher flow better then others but for most the differnce between 1gpm and 2pm is pretty minimal.

Conumdrum
05-14-2009, 06:36 AM
Yea your fine. Those 3 main parts will not cause any flow problems at all. In fact you'll probably be able to run the pump on 3 if it's a vario for a bit less noise (if any) and less heat dump. Martin said over 1.5 GPM is where it's diminishing returns. Under 1.0 is where you could start to see problems. Not set in stone tho. I remeber a post here about some tests someone did where his temps were still fine when he limited flow to .5. It all depends on your loop, not everyone elses.

You know you don't need the 320 res rad since you have a res already?

What I worry more is your close to maxxing the rad out for wattage with an i7 and the one GPU. Really not to worry tho, if you want really stellar temps you can add a 220 to the loop if your gonna be pushing the overclocks. Or get a 420 rad to start with for breating room to start with.

hchristian
05-17-2009, 07:30 PM
Ok I guess about 1GPM is fine.
I wish I could get another rad, but I'm pretty set on keeping everything inside the case, and the Cosmos Black is pretty limited in options I guess..

Martinm210
05-17-2009, 08:43 PM
Yes.
FYI,
I had three loops at one time for the heck of it and ran a quick test to see just that. Right before tearing down the build, I decided to take my weakest pump and string it all in one loop just for fun.

D-Tek Fuzion V1 with 4.5mm nozzle (Very restrictive)
DD MPC Chipset NB
DD MCP Chipset SB
D-Tek Fuziong GFX
MCR320
MCR320
MCR220

And all of this was running on a "BASIC" model (Setting 4) D5. Before that I had the D5, the other two were variable each running their own loop.

Before and after was within about 1-2 degrees. No formal testing, but a "quick look" confirmation that YES, you can put ALOT on one D5 pump and things will still work fine. I figured I was probably flowing less than 1GPM too.

It did take FOREVER to bleed out though using a T-line, but otherwise it was still within a couple of degrees of three loops split out.

adpr_02
05-17-2009, 10:01 PM
LOL. Yeah man you'll be good.

I've got a loop with:

D5-MCR320-MCR320-Apogee GT-MCR120-MCW60-MCW60 and I get really nice temps. Don't worry about this little pump that could:up:.

Edit: I just read martin's post, and like he said, it took me FOREVER to bleed it: 5 days the last time I strung up my loop. Oddly enough, the first two times I set this loop up, it bled in one day. Don't know what happened the last time.

LOUISSSSS
05-17-2009, 10:19 PM
i agree, flow is kind of overrated. 1gpm enough?

Sadasius
05-17-2009, 11:09 PM
Yes.
FYI,
I had three loops at one time for the heck of it and ran a quick test to see just that. Right before tearing down the build, I decided to take my weakest pump and string it all in one loop just for fun.

D-Tek Fuzion V1 with 4.5mm nozzle (Very restrictive)
DD MPC Chipset NB
DD MCP Chipset SB
D-Tek Fuziong GFX
MCR320
MCR320
MCR220

And all of this was running on a "BASIC" model (Setting 4) D5. Before that I had the D5, the other two were variable each running their own loop.

Before and after was within about 1-2 degrees. No formal testing, but a "quick look" confirmation that YES, you can put ALOT on one D5 pump and things will still work fine. I figured I was probably flowing less than 1GPM too.

It did take FOREVER to bleed out though using a T-line, but otherwise it was still within a couple of degrees of three loops split out.

Yeah the D5 is a pretty good pump. For my loop I thought I would have needed 2 pumps but funny enough during leak test I used one pump first before engaging the other one and it did just fine on it's own. When I activated the other pump then the bubbles really started to fly around the loop until everything bled out and now you cannot tell it's running. So myth busted...One is fine!