PDA

View Full Version : HD4890 1Gb

Tiamat
05-10-2009, 07:56 PM
So after getting my system to work after a faulty Motherboard I've started to regret buying an HD4890.

The drivers for this thing seem utterly useless. I cannot for the life of me force any 3D setting in the control panel....when I do it does not have any effect in any game.

The worst thing is, games that support AntiAliasing natively show no signs of any AA even when the Catalyst Control Center is set to 'Application Mode'.

I'm not blaming the card itself, I'm blaming the drivers. Anyone else had this issue?

I tried placing my old NVidia card back in and everything worked fine, NVCPL profiles and everything. I'm starting to think I made a hideous mistake choosing ATI

dinos22
05-10-2009, 08:00 PM
lol relax
it's a new card with only one driver update
i'm sure it will work out

:shrug:

Tiamat
05-10-2009, 08:02 PM
I know it's a new card, but it's still basically a 4870 overclocked, and the 4870 has been out long enough.

The drivers for the entire 4000 series are pretty much the same.

largon
05-11-2009, 12:44 AM
games that support AntiAliasing natively show no signs of any AA even when the Catalyst Control Center is set to 'Application Mode'.What are the games you're having problems with?

Rattle
05-11-2009, 12:51 AM
i dunno I have 2 and they are awesome, no drivers issues to speak of, 9.4 are the best yet.

largon
05-11-2009, 01:28 AM
I hear pre-9.4 drivers don't even work properly on HD4890s.

ToTTenTranz
05-11-2009, 02:18 AM
Did you properly uninstall nvidia's drivers first?

Rattle
05-11-2009, 03:35 AM
9.4 work fine for me in vista 64 and windows 7 64 in all games I have tried single card and CF

perkam
05-11-2009, 03:59 AM
So after getting my system to work after a faulty Motherboard I've started to regret buying an HD4890.

The drivers for this thing seem utterly useless. I cannot for the life of me force any 3D setting in the control panel....when I do it does not have any effect in any game.

The worst thing is, games that support AntiAliasing natively show no signs of any AA even when the Catalyst Control Center is set to 'Application Mode'.

I'm not blaming the card itself, I'm blaming the drivers. Anyone else had this issue?

I tried placing my old NVidia card back in and everything worked fine, NVCPL profiles and everything. I'm starting to think I made a hideous mistake choosing ATII'd re-install Vista if you intend to keep the card for at least 6 months.

Also, contact ATI support lines and see what they say. You should not have any problems with AA or 3D settings.

Perkam

WrigleyVillain
05-11-2009, 06:31 AM
Yeah I havent recently tried forcing 3D settings in any games but, without question, if AA set to App Controlled and AA is enabled in game then it should work just fine. Same for AF etc. Something is wrong with your setup. You could try a driver sweeper, but personally I'd clean install Vista.

B.E.E.F.
05-11-2009, 09:48 AM

I tried placing my old NVidia card back in and everything worked fine, NVCPL profiles and everything. I'm starting to think I made a hideous mistake choosing ATI

Your other option is to throw a fit like a baby.

ATi will release drivers that work properly just like they have done before. Live with it.

I don't why do you expect the drivers to work properly when you haven't cleaned the system out.

perkam
05-11-2009, 02:49 PM

ATi will release drivers that work properly just like they have done before. Live with it.

I don't why do you expect the drivers to work properly when you haven't cleaned the system out.That's a bit harsh.

No matter how small a problem is, one should never discourage a member from posting it on the forum.

Obviously the "It's ATI's Fault" attitude doesn't help, but everyone has their biases and no one is perfect.

Perkam

Tiamat
05-11-2009, 06:03 PM

I don't why do you expect the drivers to work properly when you haven't cleaned the system out.

What the hell? I wasn't throwing a fit. And I did clean the system out, it's a brand new build and I've tried installing Vista 3 times to see if this problem remains, and it does.

To clarify, even if I set Application Controlled AA in the CPL, games that support AA natively still don't show its effects.

I've tried;

Left 4 Dead
Fallout 3
BF2142
FarCry 2

AA will not work in any of them.

When switching between the 8800GT and this HD4890 for testing pruposes I did remove drivers completely and run drivere sweeper a couple of times.

STEvil
05-11-2009, 11:02 PM
Those driver sweepers do more harm than good.

Maybe try leaving CCC at default and only adjusting settings in the game. I never have a problem if I do that.. or I just dont install CCC at all because its a horrendous chunk of turd.

PoppaGeek
05-11-2009, 11:11 PM
Maybe try Riva Tuner?

DaMulta
05-12-2009, 02:49 AM
I have CF 4890 with no issues yet on win7 driver 9.4

Now I was told that the only drivers that work with CCC ATM is the one that comes on the CD with the card.

Next month you will have correct drivers, and it's more than a OCed 4870 it has 3 million more transistors.

Rattle
05-12-2009, 02:51 AM
dude i play left 4 dead, cod5 and far cry 2 and i dont have an issue with AA or anything else, whether i am using game AA or driver forced AA

I have had plenty of issues with nvidia so w/e people can think or preach what they want.

sucks your having issues something is def wrong. 9.4 are unreal for me in vista 64 and windows 7

XRogerX
05-12-2009, 05:39 AM
has anyone even thought that he might have gotten a defected ( however you spell that word lol ) card

just incase if was in your shoes if you just got the card i would RMA it to make sure , cause it seems

like no one else if really having that problem , im not haing that problem also, and i have two in CFX

just my opinion

Othews would disagree , let see how many would agree

Levish
05-12-2009, 11:12 AM
my Powercolor 4890 OC has been crashing regularly on one of my old games unless i underclock it, the original one and the replacement i got back from Newegg RMA service.

ToTTenTranz
05-12-2009, 12:50 PM
2*HD4890 here and no problems like that at all.
My guess is the problem lies between the keyboard and the chair.

Tiamat
05-12-2009, 04:49 PM
Installed Windows 7 RC1.

Problem gone.

Vista issue then?

perkam
05-12-2009, 05:06 PM
im sorry but why does ati ALWAYS have drivers issues?i heard this guys gripe and he did what he had to do including vista re-install 3 times...u got to be kidding.ppl are telling him and wait for new drivers to come out?every single ati card since the 9800xt days there has been driver issues for gamers.i have to admit as my friend has a 4870x2 and loves it he still has problems while playing enemy terrotory quake wars,glitches galore(any res/settings).he simply told me i knew i would have some weirdo issues with ati sooner or later,and he just deals with it.i think ati put amazing hardware togeher exceding nvidias but the software is always buggy.ati is def not the noob/gamer cards of choice.this is NOT BASH,its the truth..everytime a new game comes out nvidia releases a driver for it.since the geforce2 quad pro days i NEVER had ANY driver issues with nvidia....i dunno.i for 1 could not put up with that....no way.most ppl here run midless loops of 3dmark of some sort with issues fixed right away by ati,but the games are left in the wind...quite sad...but also quite very true.ATI could simply DOMINATE the market if they got a good software support name for themselves again because there hardware is really amazing i must admit.6 gamers around me and 5 of em only buy nvidia because of "out of the box" performance is flawless.Good for you :)

Installed Windows 7 RC1.

Problem gone.

Vista issue then?Good for him :)

It's settled then. It wasn't the drivers, it was Vista, as always.

Perkam

B.E.E.F.
05-12-2009, 06:13 PM
I've tried installing Vista 3 times to see if this problem remains, and it does.

Vista Gold, SP1, SP2?