PDA

View Full Version : Can I repair a leaky rad.?

Taylor01
05-08-2009, 09:51 PM
So I thought I finished my build tonight, But when bleeding my loop I found a major leak on my new XSPC RX360 rad. I used the wrong screw in a coulpe of the fan holes a now two major leaks. Does anyone know a or sucessfully fixed a leak before or am I screw and just throw it any order a new one?

JOCKTHEGLIDE
05-08-2009, 10:00 PM
hey its very fixable depending on hole size....I grabbed the wrong screws in my build in my monsta radiator and thought it was junk afterwards and was very pissed, but I JB welded it together and im currently doing a leak test now and its at 18 hours total run time with no leaks so far...dont fret bro get JB weld.

Taylor01
05-08-2009, 10:14 PM
AHHH Yes JB WELD!!! A gift from the gods!!!! thanks I will pick some up first thing in the morning. Thanks Again!

s0lid
05-08-2009, 10:32 PM
I was gonna say rapid epox but that will work fine :)

PiLsY
05-09-2009, 12:29 AM
Dont go near Evostik radiator repair glue - its awful and doesnt work. Totally ruined my rad with it trying to fix a tiny pinhole leak. Now cant get at the leak to seal it properly due to the glue. Seems to have stuck to the rad like iron yet somehow not sealed the hole. Useless.

JB or 2 part Epoxy gets my vote, but remember to remove the paint in the area of the hole to get a good seal. Good luck :).

ben805
05-09-2009, 01:07 AM
Personally I wouldn't trust my thousands dollar computer on some cheap JB weld or epoxy, it would really sucks if the patch burst in couple months and fried everything within the case. If you don't feel like buying a new one I suggest you to take it to a repair shop and get it welded or fixed properly.

SpuTnicK
05-09-2009, 01:15 AM
Just use super glue. Did it with my tfc rad. No leak for half a year now

ecat
05-09-2009, 01:36 AM
You may want to put a little patch of epoxy over the super glue fix, last I checked super glue was water soluble :eek:

JOCKTHEGLIDE
05-09-2009, 02:50 AM
Personally I wouldn't trust my thousands dollar computer on some cheap JB weld or epoxy, it would really sucks if the patch burst in couple months and fried everything within the case. If you don't feel like buying a new one I suggest you to take it to a repair shop and get it welded or fixed properly.

well my other options was to shoot it with my magnum....:D

Sadasius
05-09-2009, 05:02 AM
Why not just solder it closed? Remove as much paint around the area as possible and rub on some flux with a q-tip and solder it. Good as new afterward! :up:

Brad8988
05-09-2009, 05:24 AM
Why not just solder it closed? Remove as much paint around the area as possible and rub on some flux with a q-tip and solder it. Good as new afterward! :up:

What iv always used on all the rads iv fixed.

Paxi
05-09-2009, 05:46 AM
I used this once: http://www.aquatuning.at/product_info.php/info/p3414_Arctic-Silver-Premium-W-rmeleitkleber.html . After itīs dry, itīs like you welded it^^

JOCKTHEGLIDE
05-09-2009, 05:58 AM
still going strong on JB weld at 24 hours or so...now...

Taylor01
05-09-2009, 07:35 AM

I don't want to solder and burn off half the paint for two tiny pin holes plus the leaks are on the out side of the rad. so if it springs a leak it will spay out not into the pc. Well I set the JB around 9:00am so I will leak test tonight after the wife and kids go to bed around 12ish.

Sadasius
05-09-2009, 07:39 AM
That's why man invented touch up paint. Comes in all colors. Heck if you have a goth sister you can use her nail polish.

Taylor01
05-09-2009, 07:44 AM
There is no way touch up paint after you burned the paint off will look the same. You would have to strip the whole rad and repaint to get a nice even coat.

Sadasius
05-09-2009, 07:49 AM
So JB weld is going to look better?!? Take a pic after your done! Reason also that you don't use JB weld on a rad is because of Galvanic corrosion. Will not take long before the metal around the JB weld will eat away and it will fall out. JB weld is an epoxy steel resin so that should have a nice reaction with your copper over time. Silver solder however is harmless and you will have a rad until you get rid of it.

Sadasius
05-09-2009, 08:25 AM
don't use a blow torch use a electric iron to solder (60-80watt) so solder can adhere to copper

Exactly....What he said! Reason being is that it not only releases toxins but you will unsolder other joints in the rad. Use the electric soldering iron and some silver solder and your good to go. If you use a good brand of silver solder it has flux built in to it and will spread evenly when used. I use Bernzomatic myself.

voigts
05-09-2009, 09:07 AM
I've been using JB Weld on a rad now going on 13 months. I only run distilled water and PT Nuke with no signs of corrosion. I don't think JB Weld does corrode. People seriously underestimate what this stuff is capable of. JB Weld is one of the most incredible things and is by no means just some cheap fix. Soldering a rad is a very touchy business, and it doesn't take much to unsolder other things and do more damage. I have a hard time imagining how you are going to get something like a copper radiator hot enough for silver solder with a soldering iron.

Yozzman
05-09-2009, 09:21 AM
Yes! Fixed mine with metal-metal glue :)
(bison dutch brand i thinks ;) )

PiLsY
05-09-2009, 11:15 PM
Managed to pull the Evostik crap off the repair job on my bust rad (case screw fell off my desk into the fan while gaming and pinholed the rad - how unlucky was that!). The only upside was it took all the paint from nearby with it. Bought some Araldite Precision 2 part adhesive (Wanted long cure stuff, they only had 2, my first choice the epoxy was water resistant not water proof, so went with adhesive) and gave that a go yesterday. Its supposed to take 6 hours to set and 16 hours to cure, 20 hours in and its set but not fully cured by my eye - I expected that though as its supposed to be used as an adhesive. Ill give it til this afternoon then a quick 10 minute test with a low power pump.

Thanks for the inspiration to try again ;). Fingers crossed it works.

JOCKTHEGLIDE
05-10-2009, 12:56 AM
I've been using JB Weld on a rad now going on 13 months. I only run distilled water and PT Nuke with no signs of corrosion. I don't think JB Weld does corrode. People seriously underestimate what this stuff is capable of. JB Weld is one of the most incredible things and is by no means just some cheap fix. Soldering a rad is a very touchy business, and it doesn't take much to unsolder other things and do more damage. I have a hard time imagining how you are going to get something like a copper radiator hot enough for silver solder with a soldering iron.

scared me for a moment there from above post Sadasius about jb weld its been going for amost 48 hours with no leaks so far with jb weld......

Jokester_wild
05-10-2009, 01:22 AM
jb weld is fine. its not going to fall apart or breakdown. :)

Taylor01
05-10-2009, 01:32 PM
OK JB weld seems to be working ran for about 6hours until my ddc failed :[ Had to order my third pump now my d4 died last week it was time to upgrade anyway. So what next I have been on this build for 3 weeks now. Any way thanks guys the JB seems to be working.

JOCKTHEGLIDE
05-10-2009, 10:05 PM
OK JB weld seems to be working ran for about 6hours until my ddc failed :[ Had to order my third pump now my d4 died last week it was time to upgrade anyway. So what next I have been on this build for 3 weeks now. Any way thanks guys the JB seems to be working.

ran mine testing for 55 hours straight I called it good dont think I need to go any further...I did double layer the jb weld though let it cur for 24 hours then added another layer on it...