PDA

View Full Version : Leafing / Gliding vs Plating.

NaeKuh
05-06-2009, 10:07 AM
I had a quick question.

Do we have any people here that used to play with leafs? Basically thin'd out metal you attach to surfaces using a type of paste?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_pkUV_Zu-GaM/Sa-Mrm8T0VI/AAAAAAAAAdQ/tVhgTGa_Kdc/s400/GoldLeafedIconPanel4.jpg

My idea is how durable is it? i mean its been around for centuries... i was wondering if we could leaf non essential cooling elements, like the copper, or derlin even.

We got any art experts in here that would like to chime in? cuz leaf's are cheap as hell, and come in multi colors.

aspire.comptech
05-06-2009, 10:14 AM
It won't stand up to much in the way of abrasion but it won't just peel off on it's own.

Suffice to say, scratching with a fingernail can do some damage.

NaeKuh
05-06-2009, 10:16 AM
what if you put a clear nailpolish over the leaf? Or you sprayed it with a laquire coat.

Planet
05-06-2009, 10:25 AM
It is best to lacquer over it once it is been leafed. Gold leafing is really an art form though that has been lost. Tricky to learn exactly how long to let the varnish dry so it is the perfect consistency of sticky.

SNiiPE_DoGG
05-06-2009, 10:25 AM
Just make your blocks out of gold.....

NaeKuh
05-06-2009, 10:29 AM
Just make your blocks out of gold.....

its not just for the gold snipe..

http://www.blockheadstamps.com/Images/Accessories/FoilLeaf/Foil-Rolls/foil-rolls.jpg

SNiiPE_DoGG
05-06-2009, 10:30 AM
ah, I see where your going then ;) I just wanted to throw in the obligatory excessive bling comment :p:

Eddie3dfx
05-06-2009, 10:32 AM
What about silver dips? :yepp:

DeanB
05-06-2009, 10:35 AM
I know Kayin is pretty good at it, you could contact him :)

NaeKuh
05-06-2009, 10:42 AM
ah, I see where your going then ;) I just wanted to throw in the obligatory excessive bling comment :p:

im trying to explore options besides plating.

Home kits dont work too well, as was shown, and sending it out can take weeks sometimes.

Brother Esau
05-06-2009, 11:27 AM
I had a quick question.

Do we have any people here that used to play with leafs? Basically thin'd out metal you attach to surfaces using a type of paste?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_pkUV_Zu-GaM/Sa-Mrm8T0VI/AAAAAAAAAdQ/tVhgTGa_Kdc/s400/GoldLeafedIconPanel4.jpg

My idea is how durable is it? i mean its been around for centuries... i was wondering if we could leaf non essential cooling elements, like the copper, or derlin even.

We got any art experts in here that would like to chime in? cuz leaf's are cheap as hell, and come in multi colors.

Well I was for 20 years before my Car Wreck a Master Wood Worker that Specialized in 18th & 19th Century Period Furniture Reproductions by Hand and Gilding is never anything that I fooled around with but it has been around for centuries that is correct its basically the Process of taking very thing sheets of 24K Gold (Leafs) and Applying them onto the Surface of wood and other Mediums.

You can get Gilding Supplies if In U.S.A a Constantines and also Very good Books on the subject as well. Just remember GOLD has one of the Lowest if not the Lowest Melting Point of Any Metal in the world.

The Concept of Gilding is Simple Just as when veneering with Exotic Woods You take very Rare Species of Wood that are very expensive and use it in Veneer form which is cost effective and also environmentally friendly as most of the Rarest species of woods in the world take 400- 800 years to fully mature and are not as Plentiful by a long stretch such as Oak or Beech wood.

Gilding is exactly the same is application a Statue that is Gilded appears to be of Solid Gold if Artfully and Skillfully applied and done where well lets see what it would cost for a Solid Gold Statue:eek:

Heres some examples of the Applied Theory I just mentioned with some very Rare and very very expensive wood on a 18th Century Period Furniture that I made

Scroll and see the other Pieces as well>>>>>http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=160207

DeathWalking
05-06-2009, 11:37 AM
Just remember GOLD has one of the Lowest if not the Lowest Melting Point of Any Metal in the world.Besides mercury! :p:

Brother Esau
05-06-2009, 11:40 AM
Besides mercury! :p:

Thought about that but well thats not really a desirable species of Metal now is it?:D

Bond Number
05-06-2009, 01:35 PM
Gold actually has a relatively high melting point. Common metals like tin, lead, magnesium, aluminum, and silver all have a lower melting point. What makes gold unique is that is one of the most malleable metals. One oz of gold can cover an entire football field.