PDA

View Full Version : What's the only thing better than a MONSTA?

dsumanik
05-04-2009, 11:56 AM
2 of them!!!

hehe.. looked what arrived in the mail for me today :):):)

This is new EVGA 760 classified without the Nvidia chip...Tons more stuff coming, this is just the start of a big project.

I'll start a buildlog once i get it all here

http://mmayukon.ca/assets/images/buildlog/monstas.jpg

defect9
05-04-2009, 11:59 AM
hope you're running some high-pressure fans. that's gonna be brutal

Prince21
05-04-2009, 12:07 PM
More details please, want see what u can do, btw what case can u use

dsumanik
05-04-2009, 12:21 PM
More details please, want see what u can do, btw what case can u use

Case is going to be custom fabbed, powdercoat frame and alu panels, its still in the design process, not finalized yet. Going over the top with it, going to have external power accessible and built in network switch, and room to upgrade to phase should I want to later.

Confirmed Components so far

Heatkiler CPU, VGA water blocks for i7 920 and tri sli 280's.
Cant decide on chipset block yet..
bitspower fittings throughout
2 monstas in dual loop config.

920 D0 (arriving this week)
evga 760 classified (recieved)
Domaintor gt 2000 (arriving this week)
raptors 300 and x-25m storage. (recieved)
3 x 280 (recieved)

like i said i'll start a buildlog when it all arrives, just wanted to start a funny thread with the rads... they are both no joke bigger than the ones on my dirtbike lol.

What have I done...

aka_GK
05-04-2009, 12:22 PM
omg, that's cool

junkun13
05-04-2009, 12:26 PM
so the world financial crisis was a joke?

kidding :)

dsumanik
05-04-2009, 12:43 PM
so the world financial crisis was a joke?

kidding :)

Yeah I wish it was.. for me this is a long term investment, and a tax write off.

Your components may change but the cooling will follow me for quite some time. Even if cooling technology changes drastically in the next few years, phase becomes mainstream or easier to implement or new tech is developed...there will always be tons of uses for the liquid cooling as a secondary solution, or perhaps I could implement a chiller.

i am trying to set myself up here once and for all for current and future needs.

The biggest cost is going to be the custom case, but I may have met a guy today that can fab me the frame for alot less than I had initially thought it would be.

dsumanik
05-04-2009, 12:46 PM
hope you're running some high-pressure fans. that's gonna be brutal

We'll see , I want this to be quiet as possible..if these rads are too noisy ill buy different ones, that should keep the naysayers quiet.

These rads have very low FPI, and they are going to be run in push pull, my current case dimensions allow for up to 120mm thick of fans/gaskets per rad. so I have plenty of room for various fan combos.

I was thinking 6 x 55mm triebworks possibly, ill wait and see if they come out with 140mm versions.

Another reason I really like this rad is the 4 possible fittings that can be attatched.

Makes it very easy to add fillport and temp sensor and still have the inlet/outlet on the rad. In a horizontal mount situation, this is the cats meow, it will make more sense once the case is fabbed.

I could likely even stack these, but that would be a little too thick maybe. I am going to try the temps/sound in different ways then put it all together.

DarthBeavis
05-04-2009, 01:19 PM
Let me know if you want a phase change unit. Got a customized vapo that I had in my custom MM build that I am not using. Air-brushed as well.

Trigger5521
05-04-2009, 03:24 PM
LOL those rads are extreme... details say each Monsta requires 1.2 litres of coolant. Pure crazyness I love it.

Metric
05-04-2009, 03:33 PM
This should be interesting :D, good luck with your build :up:
Darth: YGPM.

b@llz0r
05-04-2009, 03:53 PM
What's the only thing better than a MONSTA?

ahhh... i thought this thread was about the hwalbs GTX560 :D

nice looking parts mate... cant wait for the log

masska
05-04-2009, 03:53 PM
2 of them!!!

hehe.. looked what arrived in the mail for me today :):):)

This is new EVGA 760 classified without the Nvidia chip...Tons more stuff coming, this is just the start of a big project.

I'll start a buildlog once i get it all here

I was waiting for someone to use 2 X MONSTA. looking forward to your build.
By the way, where did you get the non-nvidia Classified? I knew it was coming but I haven't seen it listed. :up:

faster3200
05-04-2009, 03:59 PM
By the way, where did you get the non-nvidia Classified? I knew it was coming but I haven't seen it listed. :up:

Newegg has it. They didn't do a very good job of marking the difference though. The cheaper one is the nvidia free version.

EDIT: Nvm, you are an Aussie. I have no clue for you guys.

dsumanik
05-04-2009, 04:04 PM
ahhh... i thought this thread was about the hwalbs GTX560 :D

nice looking parts mate... cant wait for the log

Honestly, the build started with those in mind but once i got into the CAD design the length was just simply too awkward, the case would have to be a mile high or way too long, or positioned horizontally, so then i looked at the 420 and thought screw it... if im going trip 140's might as well get the big daddy's. and add 2 inches to the dimensions for the extra thickness.

ordered from newegg.ca,

on a side note I opened the package and the back of the motherboard is tacky/sticky in some areas..its almost as if the lacquer isnt dry on the mobo yet in some parts...Ill post a pic here in a bit.

Either that or spomeone spilled orange joice on it lol.

the board looks new so I dunno its only sticky on the back in certain areas.

I have replace/used 100's of motherboards in my day and never have I come across this.

dr-
05-04-2009, 04:10 PM
Case is going to be custom fabbed, powdercoat frame and alu panels, its still in the design process, not finalized yet. Going over the top with it, going to have external power accessible and built in network switch, and room to upgrade to phase should I want to later.

Confirmed Components so far

Heatkiler CPU, VGA water blocks for i7 920 and tri sli 280's.
Cant decide on chipset block yet..
bitspower fittings throughout
2 monstas in dual loop config.

920 D0 (arriving this week)
evga 760 classified (recieved)
Domaintor gt 2000 (arriving this week)
raptors 300 and x-25m storage. (recieved)
3 x 280 (recieved)

like i said i'll start a buildlog when it all arrives, just wanted to start a funny thread with the rads... they are both no joke bigger than the ones on my dirtbike lol.

What have I done...

this is gng to be a sweet build dsumanik. i will be keeping tabs on it. have u looked at the koolance x58 classified fullcover chipset block which should be available soon? i m nt sure if it wld be overkill though, since the non-nf200 version of the classified should run cooler.

http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/product_info.php?product_id=827

We'll see , I want this to be quiet as possible..if these rads are too noisy ill buy different ones, that should keep the naysayers quiet.

These rads have very low FPI, and they are going to be run in push pull, my current case dimensions allow for up to 120mm thick of fans/gaskets per rad. so I have plenty of room for various fan combos.

I was thinking 6 x 55mm triebworks possibly, ill wait and see if they come out with 140mm versions.

Another reason I really like this rad is the 4 possible fittings that can be attatched.

Makes it very easy to add fillport and temp sensor and still have the inlet/outlet on the rad. In a horizontal mount situation, this is the cats meow, it will make more sense once the case is fabbed.

I could likely even stack these, but that would be a little too thick maybe. I am going to try the temps/sound in different ways then put it all together.

the monsta is a well, a monster (pun intended :D ). the bleed screw on the bottom of the rad could come in useful as well if you mount it upside down. i figure you most probably would have to run a push-pull configuration. you would need fans with high static pressure to get through the whole thickness of the rads. the bleed screw on the bottom of the rad could come in useful as well if you mount it upside down

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188048

u pay $50 less with the non-nf200 version compared to the version with nf200.

now, anyone wants to try 3 X MONSTA? :rofl:

masska
05-04-2009, 04:18 PM
Newegg has it. They didn't do a very good job of marking the difference though. The cheaper one is the nvidia free version.

EDIT: Nvm, you are an Aussie. I have no clue for you guys.

yep us Aussies will have to wait as usual:(
Newegg will not ship to OZ, but hoping that MotherboardPro.com will have it soon (they ship to Australia).

Honestly, the build started with those in mind but once i got into the CAD design the length was just simply too awkward, the case would have to be a mile high or way too long, or positioned horizontally, so then i looked at the 420 and thought screw it... if im going trip 140's might as well get the big daddy's. and add 2 inches to the dimensions for the extra thickness.

ordered from newegg.ca,

on a side note I opened the package and the back of the motherboard is tacky/sticky in some areas..its almost as if the lacquer isnt dry on the mobo yet in some parts...Ill post a pic here in a bit.

Either that or spomeone spilled orange joice on it lol.

the board looks new so I dunno its only sticky on the back in certain areas.

I have replace/used 100's of motherboards in my day and never have I come across this.

either way take some (dated) pictures and send them to EVGA. I dont think its the lacquer, it doesn't take long for that stuff to dry (its dried before it gets boxed). it could be some sort of spill like you said, does it have any strange or unusual odour?

dsumanik
05-04-2009, 04:24 PM
Check this out... back of the motherboard is sticky lol.

Gonna post this over at EVGA forums and see what the mods come up with for this one, I seriously think its the lacquer not dry yet..now thats a fresh motherboard!!!

http://www.mmayukon.ca/assets/images/buildlog/stuck3.jpg
http://www.mmayukon.ca/assets/images/buildlog/stuck4.jpg
http://www.mmayukon.ca/assets/images/buildlog/stuck2.jpg

Just when you thought you seen it all..

dr-
05-04-2009, 04:33 PM
does it smell? :rofl: maybe the technician was having a glass of orange juice n spilled some w/o noticing...lol

masska
05-04-2009, 04:34 PM
is it all over the board, or just in certain areas? never seen that before:confused:

dsumanik
05-04-2009, 04:40 PM
is it all over the board, or just in certain areas? never seen that before:confused:

Its only on the back and i would say in the "smoother" areas, maybe 60-70% of the totaL board area is sticky, some places worse than others...if i hold it up to the light you can see streak marks, almost as if it was wiped down.

To me that points to someone spilled on it and then tried to cleanup, but it was from newegg and the box was comepleted sealed..no joke. I seriously cant wait to see what EVGA mods have to say about this.

I am not really pissed, Im sure I could get a replacement if I want...

500 bucks..and it comes with fermented Apple juice too!

BDW88
05-04-2009, 04:42 PM
My Classifed had the same sticky crap on the bottom too, there was a post on EVGA forums saying it was the residue left over from the flux. I just used rubbing alcohol to get it off it booted up with no problems.

p.s. redo the tim :up:

dsumanik
05-04-2009, 04:56 PM
My Classifed had the same sticky crap on the bottom too, there was a post on EVGA forums saying it was the residue left over from the flux. I just used rubbing alcohol to get it off it booted up with no problems.

p.s. redo the tim :up:

alrighty, thanks bud some dude just told me over there it was normal too...

Ill clean it up and see if she posts when the CPU and ram arrive.

redo the tim? thermal interface material?

Under the stock cooling I guess..yeah i might slap a waterblock on there if temps are too nasty...but maybe without nvidia chip it will be a little more sane temps wise.

Sly Fox
05-04-2009, 05:01 PM
Under the stock cooling I guess..yeah i might slap a waterblock on there if temps are too nasty...but maybe without nvidia chip it will be a little more sane temps wise.

I've never used that board or chipset for that matter, but I'd be willing to bet that beastly stock heatsink should do the job. :up:

It looks pretty huge in newegg's pictures at least. :D

Sadasius
05-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Check this out... back of the motherboard is sticky lol.

Guess you were not the only excited one to see that board! :up:

jagass
05-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Wow...That is a nice one...

clone38
05-05-2009, 01:34 AM
Hehe thought i was mad getting 1 monsta :D
I take it you got the white ones?

BulldogPO
05-05-2009, 02:01 AM
Haha, sticky one, again.

pika198
05-05-2009, 06:08 AM
No idea how you can fit two monstas in a single case. Madness I tell you

veedubfreak
05-05-2009, 06:48 AM
FWIW, my RMA replacement board i got back from evga last week was sticky too. So i highly doubt its from a spill. My first x58 was not sticky, but this one was. I kept thinking it was my fingers, but it was the board.

shazza
05-05-2009, 07:49 AM
Guess you were not the only excited one to see that board! :up:

That one made me choke :p:

Nice build! This is going to be a big one.

Eddie3dfx
05-05-2009, 07:55 AM
Hmm.. Curious.. can a monster fit in those 2 front spots on a Lian Li 343 Cube?

I'm assuming the answer is no..

http://reviews.pcapex.com/cases/images/lianli-343b_46.jpg

SNiiPE_DoGG
05-05-2009, 07:58 AM
9 bays is too short I'm afraid :\

WhiteFireDragon
05-05-2009, 08:15 AM
looks like this is going to be a massive build. looking forward to you starting and seeing pics!

DeathWalking
05-05-2009, 08:40 AM
9 bays is too short I'm afraid :\And too narrow. 5.25" bay is perfect for a rads that use 120mm fans. Monsta is a uses 140mm fans, so is probably around 150mm. Too big!

NaeKuh
05-05-2009, 08:58 AM
whats better then a dual monsta?

Its called chillers: (phase)
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa15/teyber/DSCN3178.jpg

and my TEC:
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/9591/ntc23ag5.jpg

im sorry u asked.. :rofl:

JOCKTHEGLIDE
05-05-2009, 10:32 AM
will patiently await results of your temps.....

dsumanik
05-05-2009, 10:37 AM
whats better then a dual monsta?

Its called chillers: (phase)

and my TEC:

im sorry u asked.. :rofl:

lol I have been officially pwnt.

will patiently await results of your temps.....

Its gonna be a while here, the case isn't even fabbed yet but yeah I'll probably just hook it up externally for now.

Also for people wondering about the size of the rad, ive started making a sketchup model and ill probably have it done tonight so people can download and play around with it a little.

NaeKuh
05-05-2009, 10:49 AM
dsumanik i messured those rads out. and i think im one of the few that understands how truely big it is.

Im dying to see what school bus you bought to throw them on.

Hybridchemistry
05-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Well, where are the pics of the rads them selves? Mounted perhaps? :D

gillbot
05-05-2009, 03:48 PM
dsumanik i messured those rads out. and i think im one of the few that understands how truely big it is.

:rofl:

Sadasius
05-05-2009, 03:53 PM

Didn't you hear? I am shocked you did not know about the TFC Whoopass case that costs $35,000 and if you want paint will costs $48,000. It can hold 2 of these easily! :rofl: After buying the case though you really have to save up for their fans!

JOCKTHEGLIDE
05-05-2009, 04:15 PM
Didn't you hear? I am shocked you did not know about the TFC Whoopass case that costs $35,000 and if you want paint will costs $48,000. It can hold 2 of these easily! :rofl: After buying the case though you really have to save up for their fans!

damn that made me laugh today (again) XS is sure being funny today.....:rofl:

dsumanik
05-05-2009, 04:47 PM

Lol my first design revision kind of did look like a bus, my friend had a look at it and said kinda looks like a mailbox hey...

deleted it right after lol.

Well, where are the pics of the rads them selves? Mounted perhaps? :D

Here you go friend, i tried to get some things into the mix to add perspective..oh yeah dominators arrived today, but got some bad news compumusic's distributor screwed them...my D0 is delayed now GRRRR, was expecting it any day now and it hasnt even been sent

Sigh.

i need to clean my shop its a frakkin pigsty, I got a ton of server components to ebay

http://www.mmayukon.ca/assets/images/buildlog/shop2.jpg

http://www.mmayukon.ca/assets/images/buildlog/shop3.jpg

http://www.mmayukon.ca/assets/images/buildlog/shop4.jpg

http://www.mmayukon.ca/assets/images/buildlog/shop5.jpg

http://www.mmayukon.ca/assets/images/buildlog/shop6.jpg

pika198
05-05-2009, 05:40 PM
wow that monsta is HUGE. The red and black looks amazing with the ram and board. Look forward to complete build :D

Jah
05-05-2009, 10:37 PM
They sure wasn't kidding when they named it Monsta :)

Now give us a proper work log with lots of pictures, pronto

JOCKTHEGLIDE
05-05-2009, 11:18 PM
wow that monsta is HUGE. The red and black looks amazing with the ram and board. Look forward to complete build :D

this thumb is even bigger its about half the size of the radiator whoaa......:D