PDA

View Full Version : Dual Radiator Setup Suggestions Welcome

Masterrer
05-01-2009, 12:22 PM
Ok, I am almost set to do my WC build, just need to order the rads and other small stuff.

So the question now is what would be the optimal layout...
Here is what I thought of so far:
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s319/Masterrer/Computer/WC_Setup.gif

I am going for silence here, so I need as much rad as possilbe to keep everything cool.
The case will be modified (side facing dvd drives etc.), so I can play with rad placement.

I was thinking of using MCR320/PA120.3 for the front and their dual counterparts for the top (haven't decided which rads yet)

PC specs:
Q9650 @ max stable clocks (@1.35-1.4 vcore) | Fuzion V2
EP45-DQ6 @ whatever juice it needs to max out the CPU | MCW 30
GTX275 @ max stable clocks | MCW 60
Aquastream XT pump (so far only one, but I will add another if I must)
The case is this one: http://www.chieftec.com/cx-01sl-sl-b.html

any suggestions/opinios/thoughts welcome

Zehnsucht
05-01-2009, 12:34 PM
For best performance, reverse the airflow so that the radiators get air from outside the case.

ecat
05-01-2009, 12:39 PM
rad placement looks fine, direction of air flow is not so good. Pull the cold air from the room across the rads and into the case. Coldest air should always go to the rads, in my book at least.

exemay
05-01-2009, 12:44 PM
yea, its good placement, but i certianly would never ever setup so that it sucks air from inside my case through my radiators, its always best to suck the coolest air through the radiators.....eg the air outside

you will also wanna put 1 or 2 exhaust fans at the back!

other than that it looks pretty good:up:

LOUISSSSS
05-01-2009, 01:03 PM
the rad placement seems fine. go with an RX360 over the pa120.3 they perform enarly identical w/ 1000-1500 rpm fans

alacheesu
05-01-2009, 01:05 PM
What about putting the triple up top and double in front instead? Might give you more 5 1/4" bays as fan controllers, that Aquaero controller and other short 5 1/4" gadgets usually fit nicely in the top 2 bays even with a triple rad up there.

And yeah, reverse the airflow.

Masterrer
05-01-2009, 01:29 PM
Ok thanks for the suggestions
I'm afraid I've only got enough room for a single 12cm exhaust fan :(

I'll reverse the air-flow like this then:
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s319/Masterrer/Computer/WC_Setup_2.gif

Also my case isn't long enough fo a tripple rad at the top, but is tall enough, also I plan to make the 5.25" bays accessible from the side (I gues I can make a few extra slots beneath the dvd in the pic...

My other concerns would be: will the dual rads provide enough cooling for a single loop?
Or should I go dual loops? (I'm tight on budget sadly) I would choose not to if I can get away with a single loop

Also how the hell should I connect everything together? :confused:
-> CPU -> NB -> Tripple rad -> Pump -> GPU -> Dual Rad ->
Is this the proper way?
also whitch way should the barbs be on the front rad top or bottom?

ILikeCosmosS
05-01-2009, 01:38 PM
great but just make sure you have the side window with vents and vents since you got only 1 exhaust the heat should be exited the case as quickly as possible

what case are going to use ?
antec 1200 is what i was thinking you would be using ( i dont know how would your going to use the chieftec )
the only problem with the antec is that the top but since its only a 240 it can be cooled by a big 230 at the top(its been done on a haf 932 )
know benefits with antec is you could add a fan controller in there and put your hard drive into the 2nd 5.25 slot

alacheesu
05-01-2009, 01:40 PM
My other concerns would be: will the dual rads provide enough cooling for a single loop?
Or should I go dual loops? (I'm tight on budget sadly) I would choose not to if I can get away with a single loop

It will be more than enough. I assume you have a fan controller? Just install everything and experiment with your fan speeds and OC until you find a combination of performance and silence you are comfortable with.

Is this the proper way?

Put the res (or T-line) before the pump. Then do whatever you want with the rest.

Doesn't matter.

Sadasius
05-01-2009, 01:51 PM
Actually the front barbs should be on the top for easy burping of the rad instead of at the bottom. This way air does not try and make a home in the rad making a nice thermal blanket.

brinox
05-01-2009, 01:52 PM
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s319/Masterrer/Computer/WC_Setup.gif

if the fans are positioned correctly you can still have this arrangement. the fans need to be mounted between the radiator and the case, and the blades need to be on the radiator side.

this is how i plan on arranging my two triple rads when i get to that point.

exemay
05-01-2009, 01:58 PM
you need more exhaust fans, if you dont have enough then the internal temp of yor case will increase and so the components get hotter and hotter etc...id go for 3 or 4 exhaust fans personally......

Masterrer
05-01-2009, 02:08 PM
great but just make sure you have the side window with vents and vents since you got only 1 exhaust the heat should be exited the case as quickly as possible

what case are going to use ?

I've mentioned in the first post
The case is this one: http://www.chieftec.com/cx-01sl-sl-b.html

Ok I think I will have to slap a few exhaust fans somewhere...

Here is the best pic of the insides of the case:
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s319/Masterrer/Computer/DSCF4070_2.jpg

P.S. The ghetto tape was there when i bought it (i bought it used for ~5$)

Masterrer
05-01-2009, 02:23 PM
It will be more than enough. I assume you have a fan controller? Just install everything and experiment with your fan speeds and OC until you find a combination of performance and silence you are comfortable with.
With silence being the key here fan speed falls out of the equation (I will be using Nexus Real Silent fans they spin 1000rpm @12V, so it's only down from there) Also hitting 4GHz is crucial ;)

Put the res (or T-line) before the pump. Then do whatever you want with the rest.
Thanks!

Masterrer
05-01-2009, 02:28 PM
Actually the front barbs should be on the top for easy burping of the rad instead of at the bottom. This way air does not try and make a home in the rad making a nice thermal blanket.

That makes a lot of sense, thanks!

Freaky Freezer
05-01-2009, 10:18 PM
Ok thanks for the suggestions
I'm afraid I've only got enough room for a single 12cm exhaust fan :(

I'll reverse the air-flow like this then:
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s319/Masterrer/Computer/WC_Setup_2.gif

Also my case isn't long enough fo a tripple rad at the top, but is tall enough, also I plan to make the 5.25" bays accessible from the side (I gues I can make a few extra slots beneath the dvd in the pic...

Is this the proper way?

The best way is to have the coldest air get sucked from outside the case and over your radiators but it can't always be done without causing other airflow problems. As long as your ratio of intake to exhaust is near close to 1:1 then having the interior case fan being exhausted over your radiators and out of the case is fine.

In your first setup, you are creating a vacuum inside your case and in the second diagram, you might create a possible "air flow short circuit" , where your 2 top intake fans will be grabbing the hot PSU exhaust air and recirculating it back inside the case.

For optimal airflow have your front 3 fans intake outside air over your front radiator and into your case and have your top 2 fans exhaust the air over your radiator and out of the case.

Masterrer
05-01-2009, 11:48 PM
The best way is to have the coldest air get sucked from outside the case and over your radiators but it can't always be done without causing other airflow problems. As long as your ratio of intake to exhaust is near close to 1:1 then having the interior case fan being exhausted over your radiators and out of the case is fine.

In your first setup, you are creating a vacuum inside your case and in the second diagram, you might create a possible "air flow short circuit" , where your 2 top intake fans will be grabbing the hot PSU exhaust air and recirculating it back inside the case.

For optimal airflow have your front 3 fans intake outside air over your front radiator and into your case and have your top 2 fans exhaust the air over your radiator and out of the case.

Great suggestion :up: I will either go the route you described or think about getting another case

ben805
05-02-2009, 08:44 PM

+1

intake from front triple rad and exhaust through the top double rad should work very well.

dogin
05-03-2009, 06:53 AM
+1

intake from front triple rad and exhaust through the top double rad should work very well.

I would also reverse the rear case fan to blow in if you do this. You can always check temps with the different arrangements to see what works best. Two rads dumping heat into the case probably not a good idea??? Just my thoughts so the suggestion above seems logical.

Freaky Freezer
05-03-2009, 09:54 AM
I would also reverse the rear case fan to blow in if you do this. You can always check temps with the different arrangements to see what works best. Two rads dumping heat into the case probably not a good idea??? Just my thoughts so the suggestion above seems logical.

You can't have a rear case fan blowing in unless your PSU has no fan otherwise you are again creating an "air short circuit". You'll have the rear fan intaking the hot PSU exhaust air and continuously recirculating it back into the case. The rear fan and PSU fan will be spinning the same hot air around in circles.

dogin
06-20-2009, 08:47 AM
You can't have a rear case fan blowing in unless your PSU has no fan otherwise you are again creating an "air short circuit". You'll have the rear fan intaking the hot PSU exhaust air and continuously recirculating it back into the case. The rear fan and PSU fan will be spinning the same hot air around in circles.

You may be right? On mine I moved the PS out of the case to the top part of the case stand with the 2nd loop in it. I checked temps and inside of case and everything is much cooler with the case fan blowing in. However, I am at a loss as to why the case fan would recirculate the PS hot air even with the PS in the case as air comes in from the whole back area. Guess if you had the back of PC up against a wall or something with poor air flow it would??? With the rad fans on the case top the inside air moves up fairly fast.

Used a 1KW PS out of my FX57 system for measurements while building the stand (same size as 1.2W used in final build). This in progress build pic and is prior to painting stand etc. This set-up runs much cooler than any I have used previously.
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/dogin78/IM000324.jpg[/IMG]

In final build their is an intake fan on the front of the case stand drawing air into the box. I think this is the cooling set-up I will use from here on out.
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/dogin78/IM000354.jpg[/IMG]

millertime359
06-20-2009, 09:25 AM
However, I am at a loss as to why the case fan would recirculate the PS hot air even with the PS in the case as air comes in from the whole back area. Guess if you had the back of PC up against a wall or something with poor air flow it would???

My PSU does exhaust out the back. My older PSU did the same thing. With the PSU mounted right over that intake fan, it will just grab that exhaust air. Mine does run pretty cool, so I don't think it would effect the temps greatly.

I would recheck your PSU, I'm pretty certain it exhausts out the back. :shrug:

I would do the front rad as intake, and the rear fan as exhaust with the top rad as exhaust.

The Swiftech rad has been working well for me and I am pretty happy with the Gentle Typhoons 1850 RPM fans I have on them. They make a little noise, but nothing that I consider loud. I have 4 of those in my case now. :up:

NaeKuh
06-20-2009, 11:17 AM
http://img196.yfrog.com/img196/8930/dscf40702.jpg

Here...

Masterrer
06-20-2009, 01:25 PM
Here...

Thanks!

I realised that my rad setup (120x3 + 120x2) won't fit in that case, so I've went with a diffrent case.

Check out my other thread (many pics):

Full Tower from the past, they don't make 'em like they used to... (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=226793)

dogin
06-22-2009, 05:13 AM
Thanks!

I realised that my rad setup (120x3 + 120x2) won't fit in that case, so I've went with a diffrent case.

Check out my other thread (many pics):

Full Tower from the past, they don't make 'em like they used to... (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=226793)

That worked. Nice!

Freaky Freezer
06-22-2009, 11:12 AM
You may be right? On mine I moved the PS out of the case to the top part of the case stand with the 2nd loop in it. I checked temps and inside of case and everything is much cooler with the case fan blowing in. However, I am at a loss as to why the case fan would recirculate the PS hot air even with the PS in the case as air comes in from the whole back area. Guess if you had the back of PC up against a wall or something with poor air flow it would??? With the rad fans on the case top the inside air moves up fairly fast.

Used a 1KW PS out of my FX57 system for measurements while building the stand (same size as 1.2W used in final build). This in progress build pic and is prior to painting stand etc. This set-up runs much cooler than any I have used previously.
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/dogin78/IM000324.jpg[/IMG]

In final build their is an intake fan on the front of the case stand drawing air into the box. I think this is the cooling set-up I will use from here on out.
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/dogin78/IM000354.jpg[/IMG]

dogin, as millertime explained, the majority of PSU's fans exhaust out the back of the case. If your PSU is exhausting out the back of the case and the rear fan directly under or above it is intaking air, then that intake fan will be grabbing the PSU's exhaust air and the two fans would continuously recirculate the same air between them.

dogin
06-23-2009, 06:34 AM
dogin, as millertime explained, the majority of PSU's fans exhaust out the back of the case. If your PSU is exhausting out the back of the case and the rear fan directly under or above it is intaking air, then that intake fan will be grabbing the PSU's exhaust air and the two fans would continuously recirculate the same air between them.

Yeah my PS does exhaust out the back (did not intend to convey the opposite?) I do have two 80mm fans where the ps was in the bottom of the case pushing air into the case plus the case fan. With the top three rad fans pulling the air upwards there is a lot of air flow. Temp sensors showed an improvement in case temps by 1C (but the two 80mm fans below it probably enhanced its effect) when the case fan was reversed. In my case now the PS exhaust is isolated farther down and runs cooler out of the case itself, but I think the main thing is I have a lot of space behind my PC (ie sits on loop box/stand next to work station. I have considered making a slightly higher loop box/stand so I could isolate all the rads, pumps and reservoirs outside the case. I still think even with a regular case set-up like mine but with the ps left in the case that you should experiment with reversing the case fan just to see the effect. I did that prior to the 2nd loop stand/box and did find improvement but again had a lot of air flow behind PC. ?????

Did notice about 3F difference in case top rad exhaust temps vs. the exhaust temps in my loop box stand. Since the top loop covers the OC'd CPU and Northbridge and the box loop an OC'd 4870x2 it would appear there is an advantage not using case intake air for the rad no matter how cooled by added case intake air. The component temps however are more than adequate for the OC's so the current set-up is very effective. Just not optimum.

millertime359
06-23-2009, 06:46 AM
We were refering to the cases where the PSU is right above exhaust fan. You have alot of distance between your fans and PSU it seems. It also might be that your case's original design did not promote good air flow.

As you said, it is an easy thing to try and if temps do improve then there is no argument there :up: