PDA

View Full Version : Koolance 4870x2 block

soulesschild
04-26-2009, 04:21 PM
I'm still a bit wary about purchasing this block due to the rumors of little parts of it having alum. Does anyone have this block know if EVERYTHING has ZERO alum? It also says it has STEEL as a material so I'm a bit on the edge but since it's a 3 dollar difference between this and the DD block I'm not too sure which one would be the better/less hassle buy. Of course I could also get the XSPC block but I've heard it has issues with full contact mounting despite following instructions.

JOCKTHEGLIDE
04-26-2009, 07:07 PM
they say DD blocks short out your video card so I guess its a trade off I have no steel in my block that I know of (put magnet to it) the alum I dont know. they just rusted at the caps where the caps were steel.........

santiagodraco
04-26-2009, 08:35 PM
I'm still a bit wary about purchasing this block due to the rumors of little parts of it having alum. Does anyone have this block know if EVERYTHING has ZERO alum? It also says it has STEEL as a material so I'm a bit on the edge but since it's a 3 dollar difference between this and the DD block I'm not too sure which one would be the better/less hassle buy. Of course I could also get the XSPC block but I've heard it has issues with full contact mounting despite following instructions.

What rumors? It's solid copper core with nickel plated steel and acrylic.... don't worry about "rumors".

The Koolance GPU blocks are awesome performers, even more so considering they reduce the card slot space to 1 slot, instead of 2.

JOCKTHEGLIDE
04-27-2009, 01:22 AM
What rumors? It's solid copper core with nickel plated steel and acrylic.... don't worry about "rumors".

The Koolance GPU blocks are awesome performers, even more so considering they reduce the card slot space to 1 slot, instead of 2.

when they came out the caps were steel and would rust no rumors those were facts until koolance found out you cant mix steel with liquid :p:

dealmaster
04-27-2009, 04:48 AM
I'd like to say that the XSPC block is awesome and I haven't had any issues with mine. It was the first time I had ever watercooled, period, and I got a good mount on my video card on the first try. I saved the stock thermal pad for the middle chip because I heard people say that gave better results. No doubt about any mixed metals with the XSPC, that thing is a giant piece of copper.

NaeKuh
04-27-2009, 07:17 AM
they say DD blocks short out your video card so I guess its a trade off I have no steel in my block that I know of (put magnet to it) the alum I dont know. they just rusted at the caps where the caps were steel.........

your facts are so confused.

the 3 best blocks for this card is the DD Koolance, and Swiftech culdera.

The EK was the one that shorted cards out. (no standoffs)

And koolance stopped using steel caps, a while ago after i busted them on it. And they were very kind to offer RMA's to people who had steel caps to brass ones.

santiagodraco
04-27-2009, 10:16 AM
when they came out the caps were steel and would rust no rumors those were facts until koolance found out you cant mix steel with liquid :p:

Ahhh, gotcha. But that's different than questions about alu :) Thanks for the clarification.

I can say that I've not seen that on any of my Koolance GPU blocks.

zlojack
04-27-2009, 10:39 AM
No alu in this block.

The steel in the block is the faceplate over the acrylic that never comes in contact with the water.

Nobodi
04-28-2009, 04:26 AM
The one that arrived in the mail today the only thing steel is the screws the faceplate is stainless.