PDA

View Full Version : I'm sure most of you all know by now but...

Leo
08-06-2002, 12:40 PM
Chick Hearn, Lakers broadcaster of 42 seasons died yesterday at approximately 6:30P.M. from a head injury suffered from a fall - he was 85 years old.

It's interesting how saddened you can be at the loss of someone you didn't even really know. Many have flocked to Chick's star on the Hollywood Walk and erected a temporary memorial. The mourners range from everyday people to many of Hollywood and basketball's elite. I don't know what kind of coverage this story is getting across the country but here in SoCal this is a big deal and a sad loss for many of us, me included. Down here, Chick WAS basketball. What else can you expect from a man who never missed a game in well over three decades, called so many great eras of Lakers basketball and coined most of the commonly used basketball lingo today (what the heck would we call a slam dunk, air ball, brick, etc. if it hadn't been for him)?

His voice was instantly recognizeable and his famous "Chick-isms" were memorable, that's what I'll miss most probably. Listening to a Lakers game just won't be the same from now on.

I'm just a basketball fanatic that needed to get that off my chest. Have a good one everybody.