PDA

View Full Version : RAID on SB700, need help

Source
04-26-2009, 10:35 AM
Hello,
I don't know if this is the correct place to post it but anyway:

I just bought two 1TB drives to put in RAID, i have another drive of 250GB with Windows (Vista) on it.
The Motherboard (MSI 780G with SB700 RAID Controller) detects all the discs and when in Windows all three are detected so no problems.

When i choose the RAID Mode as RAID in the BIOS and save the settings, i can choose to go to the RAID Settings.
There i choose the two 1TB discs and set them in RAID1.

Then he sets the 250GB automatic to 'SINGLE DRIVE'.
I save and go to the BIOS, in the boot sequence he says:
1. SINGLE DRIVE
2. RAID 1
3. DVD ROM

Then the problem:
When i want to load Windows i see the loading bar for about 2 times and then the PC reboots again, this keeps going and going.

After that i set the RAID Mode in the BIOS as 'IDE' again and he loads Windows instantly.

How do i set up the RAID?

I tried Repairing Windows but Windows Repair thingy doesn't see any drive when he is in RAID Mode.

Wouter

Hemi345
04-27-2009, 06:47 AM
Do you have the option to set only some ports to RAID and others to IDE in the BIOS? Sounds like it's all or nothing in your BIOS, but if not, then set the port the 250GB is on to IDE mode and the others for the array to RAID mode... you might have to move some cables around if it's like my Gigabyte board (supports seperate configurations on ports 0-3, and 4-5).

Your problem is Windows was installed in IDE mode... now it's trying to boot from drives configured as RAID/AHCI and those drivers aren't installed for boot time. I hear trying to get those installed and configured after the fact is a major PITA. But what you might try is doing a repair install and around the time it's looking for an OS to repair, you should have the option to specify additional drivers. You'll need to get those drivers from your motherboard maker's website (usually called AMD RAID preinstall drivers) and copy them onto a floppy (maybe USB key will work too) and then Windows will see your drives.

DistortioniZm
04-27-2009, 06:58 AM
I don't think installing an operating system is supported on the jmicron controller. I tried setting up a dual boot with a similar setup and it wouldn't work. Partition your mirror and install on that maybe.

Source
04-27-2009, 08:33 AM
Do you have the option to set only some ports to RAID and others to IDE in the BIOS? Sounds like it's all or nothing in your BIOS, but if not, then set the port the 250GB is on to IDE mode and the others for the array to RAID mode... you might have to move some cables around if it's like my Gigabyte board (supports seperate configurations on ports 0-3, and 4-5).
I can only choose all or nothing yes.

Your problem is Windows was installed in IDE mode... now it's trying to boot from drives configured as RAID/AHCI and those drivers aren't installed for boot time. I hear trying to get those installed and configured after the fact is a major PITA. But what you might try is doing a repair install and around the time it's looking for an OS to repair, you should have the option to specify additional drivers. You'll need to get those drivers from your motherboard maker's website (usually called AMD RAID preinstall drivers) and copy them onto a floppy (maybe USB key will work too) and then Windows will see your drives.
I will try this, thank you.