PDA

View Full Version : Unlimited 3G?

Silaz
04-26-2009, 10:03 AM
I am planning on purchasing a x301 Lenovo laptop, and I was looking for an unlimited 3G broadband provider. The x301 offers either Verizon or AT & T built in. However, I am not apposed to purchasing an additional card. Thus, does anyone know of a provider or essentially a way to get unlimited internet on the go(no download caps)?

Jamesrt2004
04-26-2009, 10:14 AM
http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=893355

AT&T ?? hows that? =/

Silaz
04-26-2009, 10:25 AM
Unfortunately I found that already, and apparently around October(the article is dated back to May) AT &T pulled the unlimited portion from the GoPhone for the very reason people were using its SIM card instead of buying the 30 dollar rate for the iPhone etc.

ZOMGVTEK
04-26-2009, 06:20 PM
If you can live with a iPhone you can get unlimited 3G for $30 a month plus the normal phone of course.

Its surprisingly fast.

Silaz
04-26-2009, 07:46 PM
The University I will be attending limits the bandwidth used, thus I need to find a way to circumvent it via a different service(3G). Currently, I own a blackberry with an "unlimited" data plan-but I believe if I upgrade the service to include tethering I have 5GB monthly bandwidth limit. :shrug:

ZOMGVTEK
04-26-2009, 10:19 PM
Hmm...

As far as I know, most 'unlimited' data plans on phones are limited to 5GB. But on the phone itself, it would be very very difficult to use over 5GB in a month. I know AT&T does not currently limit the data used on their 3G phones. But you would need one that you can tether without them knowing. I know the iPhone can be tethered without AT&T knowing and you then have a $30/month truly unlimited 3G plan.

I would assume you could do the same on your Blackberry. You might want to go on a Blackberry forum.

zanzabar
04-26-2009, 10:57 PM
u can get tethering apps for most BB u dont have to pay extra for it, u only need to pay now that there is the bandwidth cap since it removes it

saaya
04-28-2009, 08:24 PM
3G CAN be very fast... and flatrate/unlimited doesnt mean they wont throttle your speed if you use up a lot of bandwidth, unfortunately...
i tried 3 providers in taiwan, and there are ups and downs to all... price is the same for all, around 35$ a month, but performance difers greatly.

make sure that your provider covers the areas you live in and work at and other locations you frequently visit...
having good speeds in a few locations > bad speeds everywhere, at least thats my opinion...

i ended up with fareastone btw, chungwha was a nightmare...

one thing most people overlook is upload speeds!
my upload speeds at chaungwha were quite good, at fareastone they vary a lot, from 5kb/s max to 50kb/s max
download with fareastone varies between 40kb/s and 300kb/s, pretty impressive!
wireless DSL pretty much :D

saaya
04-30-2009, 04:39 AM
fyi, theres an annoying thing about both 3g modems i had, they tend to switch to different networks by default and i cant influence it.
especially when i move around in a car or bus or train it tends to switch to GPRS which is really slow, then theres HSDPA which is faster, but ideally you want WCDMA of course... i found out that closing the connection app and removin the usb 3g modem to reset it, and then launching the app again usually results in the default network to jump to WCDMA or HSDPA... just a heads up :toast:

Russian
04-30-2009, 06:07 PM
fyi, theres an annoying thing about both 3g modems i had, they tend to switch to different networks by default and i cant influence it.
especially when i move around in a car or bus or train it tends to switch to GPRS which is really slow, then theres HSDPA which is faster, but ideally you want WCDMA of course... i found out that closing the connection app and removin the usb 3g modem to reset it, and then launching the app again usually results in the default network to jump to WCDMA or HSDPA... just a heads up :toast:

That doesnt really happen to me when tethering my CDMA phone on the Verizon network :p: ;)

Reznik Akime
04-30-2009, 06:38 PM
Yeah, My Touch Pro/Fuze has been hacked three ways to hell. I don't need the tethering plan and I can say I've downloaded more than 5gb on my phone before.. :wasntme:

saaya
05-03-2009, 08:54 AM
That doesnt really happen to me when tethering my CDMA phone on the Verizon network :p: ;)
yeah i think its when the network coverage is resembling a chunk of swiss cheese i guess :D