PDA

View Full Version : Direct-IHS water cooling an i7

fallwind
04-26-2009, 02:17 AM
I've ordered some acetal sheet and plan on building a small waterblock to attach directly to the IHS of my W3520. I'm currently using a Fuzion V1 and temps are in the mid 70's during P95 and I'm hoping to bring that down a little. Does anyone have experience with this? Is it effective and what kind of temp drop could I achieve?

If necessary I'll pop the IHS and go direct-die but I really don't want to go that far if I can help it. Glueing a block the the IHS is reversable, de-lidding is not.

04-26-2009, 06:59 AM
On the main intel forum, some guy popped the IHS and custom made a water block to directly cool the die. It had fantastic performance, although he was using chilled water.

Paxi
04-26-2009, 07:02 AM
Popped the IHS? I thought this is impossible without damaging your CPU. (As far popping=removing, donīt know what it exactly means^^)

jellyrole
04-26-2009, 07:07 AM
Maybe he did the bake a pie technique by putting it in the oven that removing it.

Boogerlad
04-26-2009, 07:20 AM
why does everyone think that removing the ihs is impossible without killing it? Just get 4 very think razors and start to cut the rubber lining of the cpu. Stick all 4 blades not too far into the cpu. Then get torch and put cpu with blades on vice. Once hot enough, the ihs will pop out.

faster3200
04-26-2009, 07:27 AM
why does everyone think that removing the ihs is impossible without killing it? Just get 4 very think razors and start to cut the rubber lining of the cpu. Stick all 4 blades not too far into the cpu. Then get torch and put cpu with blades on vice. Once hot enough, the ihs will pop out.

Because the second i7 came out Fugger told everyone not to do this.
Then there was a thread that showed how to do it.

To OP: What is the rest of your loop like? I am not sure how well the v1 does on i7, but even with 1.56 vcore and 1.54 vtt my hottest core only gets to 69C under Linx. That is at a much lower speed though as my mobo needs replacing :(.

HESmelaugh
04-26-2009, 11:36 AM
I'm really looking forward to your results, fallwind. I hope everything will go well.

NaeKuh
04-26-2009, 11:45 AM
i dont think your gonna get anything good from a direct IHS.

however corross pwned us on what happens when you do DIRECT DIE cooling:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=222040

On the main intel forum, some guy popped the IHS and custom made a water block to directly cool the die. It had fantastic performance, although he was using chilled water.

yup i linked it up top.