PDA

View Full Version : Team Building

Snow Crash
04-24-2009, 05:16 AM
OK ... I am new around these parts and I am not naturally inclided to try and motivate other people but I am think we have a better chance to attracting new members if we keep this forum active.

So ... what are some common topics across some of the more popular teams?
Individual milestones?
Team daily production?
If not our direct experience with OC / PPD maybe a couple of links to threads on Stanford XS teams forum that talk OC?
What about adding someting about GPUGrid to sigs?
XS is so big ... I don't know about you folks but I don't read all threads ... is there a "drivers" thread? Maybe post links in that direction ... clearly you can all see I am fishing for ideas and you know the people on XS better than I and what they might find interesting and motivational. Maybe get some WCG people on board with the idea of learning how to CUDA because we all know that *someday* WCG will have CUDA, just not when.

Steve

123bob
04-29-2009, 10:06 PM
OK ... I am new around these parts and I am not naturally inclided to try and motivate other people but I am think we have a better chance to attracting new members if we keep this forum active.

So ... what are some common topics across some of the more popular teams?
Individual milestones?
Team daily production?
If not our direct experience with OC / PPD maybe a couple of links to threads on Stanford XS teams forum that talk OC?
What about adding someting about GPUGrid to sigs?
XS is so big ... I don't know about you folks but I don't read all threads ... is there a "drivers" thread? Maybe post links in that direction ... clearly you can all see I am fishing for ideas and you know the people on XS better than I and what they might find interesting and motivational. Maybe get some WCG people on board with the idea of learning how to CUDA because we all know that *someday* WCG will have CUDA, just not when.

Steve

That has been my whole approach for this work. I've tried to make folks realize that this is an alternative to folding, with hooks to WCG getting CUDA crunching going forward. What I have come across is the ATI fans that have nothing to give to this. I would hope to see some open standard that will allow them in the game.

The cause looks worthwhile and interesting to me, it just has not taken off like I thought it would, at least so far. Note though that the heavy hitters on this team have not slowed down. I'm starting to feel a heavy case of GPU inadequacy here....It's nothing the old credit card can't fix though...:rofl::up:

To provide an opinion on the first part of your post, the things that motivate different people are just that, different. Right now we don't have a huge team rivalry going on at GPUGrid. We also don't have a lot of local "trash-talking" going on here. In a way, I like that. In another way, perhaps this doesn't spur folks on to increase participation. IDK. For those that started this journey, we are still just crunching away and trying to understand this CUDA beast that has been unleashed. Frankly, the science of it still escapes me somewhat....

In any case, I will still crunch it, put up numbers, and have some faith that this is a good use of my hardware.

Regards,
Bob

Snow Crash
05-01-2009, 06:57 AM
I know you spent some quality time with the folks over at TPU building their WCG team which I think is great :clap: It looks like someone (literally "one") recently started a TPU team at GPUGrid ... do you think it might be too soon after kicking their WCG participation into high gear to go over and try the same thing with GPUGrid ... maybe start a little friendly competition? I would volunteer to switch teams for a bit ... I'll pop over and take a look around.

As for the science ... well I don't get it really either, the explanations are over my head but I have seen posts from them that they are not sponsored by any big pharma http://www.gpugrid.net/forum_thread.php?id=438 and recently they have started WUs related to HIV.

Steve
(ya ... I gotta get a sig together :-)

123bob
05-01-2009, 07:15 AM
I know you spent some quality time with the folks over at TPU building their WCG team which I think is great :clap: It looks like someone (literally "one") recently started a TPU team at GPUGrid ... do you think it might be too soon after kicking their WCG participation into high gear to go over and try the same thing with GPUGrid ... maybe start a little friendly competition? I would volunteer to switch teams for a bit ... I'll pop over and take a look around.

As for the science ... well I don't get it really either, the explanations are over my head but I have seen posts from them that they are not sponsored by any big pharma http://www.gpugrid.net/forum_thread.php?id=438 and recently they have started WUs related to HIV.

Steve
(ya ... I gotta get a sig together :-)

I'm thinking we should keep TPU's focus on building their WCG team for now. I'd like to see them over a million a day again. There is also the consideration that they have a strong folding team. Right now, that could help them build WCG. If we introduce this thing called GPUGrid to them, it might not sit well with the folding team since it would directly compete with their hardware needs. We have a number of folders that joined WCG recently. There are more possible out there. The folders caught on quickly that they could fold and run WCG.

Also, there is a lot of confusion about what crunching is to start with over there. To introduce CUDA crunching might be too much, too fast. We tried it earlier in the main thread we were working off of a few weeks ago. We largely got the "deer-in-the-headlights" look.

Perhaps in a few months? A direct competition with XS would be possible since we are just starting out. I like the idea to help build our team as well. I just don't think it would help out TPU right now. Maybe in about 6 months?

Just one opinion here. Any others wish to comment? Perhaps we go against another team out there?

Regards,
Bob