PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about finishing up what I started yrs ago in Computer Programming

hecktic
04-22-2009, 01:52 AM
With the global economy tanking, more and more people I know are just going back to school if they can obtain the opportunities to do so. In my case I can and have decided to.

Yeah I am highly considering finishing up a Bachelors Degree in Computer Programing/Software Engineering

I am already studying for Electrical Engineering and the courses in this field include some programing classes like C, C++, C#, etc.

I found programing to be interesting while in high school and decided to enroll in some college level computer science classes; the last one being a logic course dealing with "Q basic" for those of you who remember what that is.

I am a little rusty even with Q basic lol but I think a little review can fix that and bring me up to speed.

Anyways I am debating with myself whether or not to go to a vocational school with pure distance learning (online classes) or to do this all traditionally on a campus like setting. I am hoping some of you XS users who have already gotten your degrees in software engineering and/or computer science information tech. etc. could give me some pointers or suggestions or even some insider tips on how your experience was when you went to school to study this.

Im currently studying Electrical Engineering and I think personally if I added on more courses that I would need to dedicate myself to during the day, that I think it will be then too much. So the advantage of the distance learning is that I only need roughly 10 to 12 hours a week devoted to 1 or 2 classes a week over a 2 yr span which is the same amount of time Im expecting to spend on my Electrical Engineering studies anyways. Its a convenience to study online at my time versus on campus on the teachers clock if you get what I mean. But then again maybe taking programing courses online didn't work out for some of you? IF so, please share your experiences.

Thanks

luie
04-23-2009, 04:19 AM
I had been thinking about the same thing.
In the beginning of it, I was taking four online classes this semester towards a CS degree.
Now, I'm taking one. :-( haha. I didn't have enough time to do the weekly assignments due to lots of OT at work.

hecktic
04-23-2009, 07:03 AM
oh, where at is this if I may ask?

I think it really matters where you get your education from especially if you plan to finish a masters or even doctoral/phd in CS or even Software Engineering which I plan to do and keep as a supplement to my Electrical Engineering degree.

I just dont want to end up reading a book about how to write up code to program in X language and just take exams and submit assignments. That would basically be self learning IMO and I hate that when it comes to a sensitive subject I feel that requires some level of interaction with some kind of instruction like maybe pre-recorded video lectures just like they have in most online math classes you know.

tobe22
04-23-2009, 09:56 AM
Take c/c++, or C#, (or teach urself), with an additional class in data structures -- try to get a data structures class that uses the programming language of choice. The data structures class applies the language to some of the basic problem solving theories and techniques, i.e., sorting, storage, and searching. A programming course by itself, is not very useful, without being applied to some problem.

I prefer c/c++. MS Visual Studio Express is free, and it's fully functional; Unix compilers will be cc\gcc\g++, so u should be ok if your classes don't use MS.

shoehorned
04-23-2009, 10:47 AM
Sorry to interrupt, but What is the difference between Computer Engineering, Computer Science, and Electrical Engineering? What's the average salary for each? I'm really thinking about going back to school and getting one of these degrees too.

tobe22
04-23-2009, 01:08 PM
In general,

Comp Sci is theory and algorithms related to computing
Comp Eng is computer hardware
EE is general electronics hardware and theory

hecktic
04-23-2009, 10:39 PM
When would it be best to take the data structures course?

Here is what I have taken so far:

CSP 017 Computer Logic

This course is designed to allow the student to define and analyze logical solutions to computer-related problems, emphasizing business applications.

Flow charts and pseudocode using "structured" programming concepts are used for finding solutions which are not related ot any particular programming language. BASIC language is used.

joro
04-25-2009, 10:03 PM
I would take the data structures course once you have a handle on a language such as Java, C, or C++ (not really saying you have to choose only 1 of those 3). Once you have the basic syntax down, then go into Data Structures. So probably an intro course into a particular language of course should be fine.

luie
04-27-2009, 03:59 PM
oh, where at is this if I may ask?

I think it really matters where you get your education from especially if you plan to finish a masters or even doctoral/phd in CS or even Software Engineering which I plan to do and keep as a supplement to my Electrical Engineering degree.

I just dont want to end up reading a book about how to write up code to program in X language and just take exams and submit assignments. That would basically be self learning IMO and I hate that when it comes to a sensitive subject I feel that requires some level of interaction with some kind of instruction like maybe pre-recorded video lectures just like they have in most online math classes you know.

At a local college.
http://www.saddleback.edu/de/
:)

I'm taking some of their CIM courses.

hecktic
04-27-2009, 10:44 PM
but does anyone here have any experience with online only programing courses.......

I just dont want to end up reading a book and learning the stuff on my own... then to just take a test and submit a project that determines my grade...

then again i only plan to use this programing degree as a supplemental educational qualification on my resume so idunno...

anyone have any experiences with vocational programing education vs. traditional in college/university ??

joro
04-28-2009, 09:13 PM
The only difference between online learning and in class would be the ability to directly ask questions during the lecture. You should take a look at the free programming classes on youtube from Stanford or MIT's free stuff from their site. I just have to say that I'd prefer learning in class than on my own unless I'm deeply into it and feel like the class is just too slow.

ahmad
04-29-2009, 02:41 PM
If you are motivated and have the basic fundamentals, then what I suggest is this: Choose a topic or a language that you wish to learn about and go about exploring it via the internet or paper-books. If you get stuck, many can help you out online (not necessarily here).

If you want to decide on what to pick up, think practically. Browse the online hiring sites and see what is in demand where you would like to work. That would be a good starting point.

If you are not self-motivated and somewhat lazy, then distance ed is a waste of time. If you are self-motivated but can't manage to find the right direction, take distance ed.

I work in the IT field in several different areas at a distance ed. institution (I do almost everything.. except teaching :)).

Shadowmage
04-30-2009, 10:57 AM
but does anyone here have any experience with online only programing courses.......

I just dont want to end up reading a book and learning the stuff on my own... then to just take a test and submit a project that determines my grade...

then again i only plan to use this programing degree as a supplemental educational qualification on my resume so idunno...

anyone have any experiences with vocational programing education vs. traditional in college/university ??

Don't take an online-only programming course. They're way too easy and you won't learn much. If possible, audit some courses at the hardest university you can find and do the assignments.

joro
04-30-2009, 08:14 PM
Here is a link for the Stanford courses: http://www.deviceguru.com/stanford-frees-cs-robotics-courses/
All videos are on YouTube, class sites have the course notes, and assignments.

And here are the free courses from MIT: http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/web/home/home/index.htm

Enjoy!

hecktic
04-30-2009, 10:39 PM
The only difference between online learning and in class would be the ability to directly ask questions during the lecture. You should take a look at the free programming classes on youtube from Stanford or MIT's free stuff from their site. I just have to say that I'd prefer learning in class than on my own unless I'm deeply into it and feel like the class is just too slow.

Actually I was told you can still ask questions in online courses but via email only which sucks because the response time may very well be up to 24 hours in some online schools. Although University of Phoenix seems to have a requirement on their teachers for 12 hours last I heard.

Ill take a look at the Stanford and MIT free stuff. TY!

If you are motivated and have the basic fundamentals, then what I suggest is this: Choose a topic or a language that you wish to learn about and go about exploring it via the internet or paper-books. If you get stuck, many can help you out online (not necessarily here).

If you want to decide on what to pick up, think practically. Browse the online hiring sites and see what is in demand where you would like to work. That would be a good starting point.

If you are not self-motivated and somewhat lazy, then distance ed is a waste of time. If you are self-motivated but can't manage to find the right direction, take distance ed.

I work in the IT field in several different areas at a distance ed. institution (I do almost everything.. except teaching :)).

Good idea! Thanks a lot!

Don't take an online-only programming course. They're way too easy and you won't learn much. If possible, audit some courses at the hardest university you can find and do the assignments.

I might do that too, thanks!

Here is a link for the Stanford courses: http://www.deviceguru.com/stanford-frees-cs-robotics-courses/
All videos are on YouTube, class sites have the course notes, and assignments.

And here are the free courses from MIT: http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/web/home/home/index.htm

Enjoy!

Thanks again joro!