PDA

View Full Version : Whats The Best 2.5" SSD In The 100+GB Range?

ZOMGVTEK
04-20-2009, 03:10 PM
17" UniBody MBP...

It needs a 2.5" SATA SSD thats in the 100+GB range, and not $1k...

Whats the best bang for the buck here?

zanzabar
04-20-2009, 03:37 PM
IMO the best is the corsair, and the only 2 choices that wont studder in MLC u have are the ocz vertex and corsair 128GB and the ocz is better for sustained read/write the corsair is better for small reads/writes so i would get the corsair.

cx-ray
04-22-2009, 01:35 AM
I'm not sure whether it qualifies as best bang for the buck. However, the Intel X25-M SSDSA2MH160G1C5 160GB would be in my opinion the best SSD for a laptop. It goes for around $720 now and might drop in price by $70-100 next week.

overcrash
04-22-2009, 02:03 AM
I'm not sure whether it qualifies as best bang for the buck. However, the Intel X25-M SSDSA2MH160G1C5 160GB would be in my opinion the best SSD for a laptop. It goes for around $720 now and might drop in price by $70-100 next week.

Dude you are crazy. G.Skill Titan or OCZ Apex 120GB are less than half the price of X25-M and are the same if not better performance.

jcool
04-22-2009, 02:53 AM
Dude you are crazy. G.Skill Titan or OCZ Apex 120GB are less than half the price of X25-M and are the same if not better performance.

:rolleyes:

Actually they both suck in comparison to the Intel. 2x crappy Jmicron in internal Raid 0 just makes them suckČ.
I would either get the Vertex, or a Supertalent Ultradrive ME (identical but for the firmware). I've had great results with the Supertalents, and they are a tad less expensive than the vertex around here.
Didn't know Corsair made an IndilinX-based MLC /w cache too - what's it called?

cx-ray
04-22-2009, 02:57 AM

Those drives aren't even in the same universe as the X25-M. A drive for general use doesn't rely on highest maximum throughput. How efficient the SSD will perform in small random writes will determine your best user experience for OS and applications.

tonyluu
04-22-2009, 04:50 AM
Didn't know Corsair made an IndilinX-based MLC /w cache too - what's it called?

They didn't, it's a rebranded Samsung MLC (same Samsung SSDs you find in Dell or HP laptops)

Those drives aren't even in the same universe as the X25-M. A drive for general use doesn't rely on highest maximum throughput. How efficient the SSD will perform in small random writes will determine your best user experience for OS and applications.

Which means the X25-M ;)

ZOMGVTEK
04-22-2009, 01:35 PM
Ok.....

So X25-M or Vertex?

$720 vs $345...

For $745 I could get the 250GB Vertex... Thats probably a better bet than the Intel. Unless its more than 10% or more slower.

jcool
04-22-2009, 05:32 PM
Difficult to say really. The Intel writes slower, but reads faster and has a higher IOPS rating. However the Vertex and Ultradrives are very balanced drives, and at least the Vertex can be configured to your needs by flashing the appropriate firmware (higher IOPS/lower transfer or vice versa). Also the X25-M is known to have speed issues after a while...

I'd go for the Vertex/Ultradrive, but that's just me.

tonyluu
04-22-2009, 08:53 PM
Difficult to say really. The Intel writes slower, but reads faster and has a higher IOPS rating. However the Vertex and Ultradrives are very balanced drives, and at least the Vertex can be configured to your needs by flashing the appropriate firmware (higher IOPS/lower transfer or vice versa). Also the X25-M is known to have speed issues after a while...

I'd go for the Vertex/Ultradrive, but that's just me.

For pure & general OS usage as a mainstreamer would use it for, the X25-M would win this one

Sure it's writes & reads may be a bit faster (writes mostly) but not in the area where you need it

The X25-M is much faster than the Vertex in small random writes (even with Vertex FW v1.1)

The OS does lots of small random writes to the disk & the Intel drive will not suffer from performance degradation as the other HDDs will

This means that by "feel" the X25-M is faster for general usage

Now if you are constantly editing files or transferring files from 1 place to another then the Vertex is the clear winner

lowfat
04-22-2009, 10:07 PM
If you can afford to go with the X25-M I would suggest doing so. Even in my older SATA 1.5Gbps MBP it is insanely quick. App applications (except Office and Photoshop) open within the single bounce of the dock. A warm reboot takes 30 seconds (includes opening itunes, mail, safari at startup).

overcrash
04-23-2009, 12:41 AM
I don't see the point of paying 2x the price of Vertex for X-25M when you won' be getting much faster work. If prices were similar X25-M is better for general use I agree, but its 2 times the price which is too much.

theo_mich
04-23-2009, 03:45 AM
ocz is like plug-and-pray
intel is plug-and-play/forget

so if u dont wanna be ocz's beta tester buy intel,mtron,samsung

luie
04-23-2009, 03:58 AM
I would say the OCZ Vertex 120GB. :-)
(I got two of it.)

x-sector
04-23-2009, 04:44 AM
when u need high capaticity (>60GB) u should think about MLC..
the only MLC i would buy actually are still intel(or kingston ..same thing) and samsung.
sure expensive .. but only a MLC with a very good controller make sense for os disk. except u plug them to a good hw rc.
maybe then u can be happy with "normal" mlc, too.

here interesting review about x25
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3403&p=8&cp=0

cx-ray
04-23-2009, 05:05 AM
Also the X25-M is known to have speed issues after a while...

They fixed that with a firmware update last week. The flash utility is available for both PC and Mac users.

jcool
04-23-2009, 06:27 AM
They fixed that with a firmware update last week. The flash utility is available for both PC and Mac users.

Good to know :up:

situman
04-23-2009, 07:04 AM
Sorry for the thread jack, but which models from Corsair, Samsung with 120gb with a nice controller? I'm also getting a new laptop and would like to replace the crappy 5400rpm drive with a nice ssd.

zanzabar
04-24-2009, 07:56 PM
Sorry for the thread jack, but which models from Corsair, Samsung with 120gb with a nice controller? I'm also getting a new laptop and would like to replace the crappy 5400rpm drive with a nice ssd.

corsair has 1 and for samsung its the gen 4/5 (they are the same drives corsair relabels). and the samsungs are generally labeled with the samung controller if they have it since it adds $50 or so to the drives price.

and why do u guys jock ocz so much, the samsung controller has better random performance than the invo

BlazinTiger
05-10-2009, 07:59 PM
ocz is neck and neck with the samsung in performance, though i think samsung "degrades" slower (all SSDs degrade, its natural)...if you're going to get corsair (rebranded samsung), get their 256GB...its not just bigger, the controller is the newer one too

Personally, I'd get (in order)
1. X-25M 160GB
2. OCZ Vertex 120GB/250GB (depends on how much you want to spend, the 120GB is a little faster though)
3. Corsair P256 (or equivalent samsung pb22-j)

OCZ is easier to find than the Samsungs, I think

oh, and overcrash should start getting his facts straight...

EDIT: oh and btw
http://www.ocztechnology.com/images/products/accessories/b/apple_vertex_b.jpg
...this vertex is slower than the regular versions because during testing apple determined that the file system wasn't up to it? something like that but no worries, both will work anyways

diredesire
05-20-2009, 09:02 AM
There was a recent "hot deal" on the Kingston branded Intel X-25 SSD. You should look around various FS/T forums for people that cashed in on the deal and are selling at a mark up... From what I've seen thus far this means around a $550 price.

Typhon
06-01-2009, 10:13 AM
I just ordered the 64GB Super Talent UltraDrive for my Lenovo lappy. I will post my findings later on....

Typhon

railmeat
06-04-2009, 11:28 AM
ocz is like plug-and-pray
intel is plug-and-play/forget

so if u dont wanna be ocz's beta tester buy intel,mtron,samsung

rofl,ocz put stickers on products.there a markerting/retail company buying oem drives from somewere with a good warranty offered.find out whats underneath the ocz sticker.then u can get a way better idea of what your dealing with.;)would not be shocked one bit if underneath the ocz is intel,mtron,samsung oem built drive.

and intel....well there intel,they make just about everything now...cpus,mobos,hds,and now even video cards..:eek:larabee

NidStyles
06-04-2009, 05:45 PM
rofl,ocz put stickers on products.there a markerting/retail company buying oem drives from somewere with a good warranty offered.find out whats underneath the ocz sticker.then u can get a way better idea of what your dealing with.;)would not be shocked one bit if underneath the ocz is intel,mtron,samsung oem built drive.

and intel....well there intel,they make just about everything now...cpus,mobos,hds,and now even video cards..:eek:larabee

You do realize the fallacy of this arguement I hope....

They design the circuit's, and various part's of the firmware, and farm the manufacturing out, just like every other small house design team....

That includes almost every mobo company, and two of the three major CPU manufacturer's. That's how the industry works....