PDA

View Full Version : Asus P5E3 Premium vNB problems

GreatMilenko911
03-25-2009, 11:23 AM
Does anyone know why on this board that whenever I put the vNB up to 1.6 the system will not boot? I'm trying to reach 3.6 with my Q9450 and people say to raise the northbridge voltage high. Well it won't let me... so wtf matE! HELP!

mpc
04-20-2009, 04:40 AM
Not every Board runs a higher FSB with a higher voltage.
I think somethink different is the reason for your problems. Can you post all of your Bios Settings?

Gothic
04-20-2009, 06:04 AM
Try the obvious...

Set vNB to default
Raise it's speed until it won't boot anymore
Raise the vNB just one increment
Return to step 2

If you have your vNB to high It may cause as much instability as a very low one.

GL

Infa
04-20-2009, 06:19 AM
Yeah, I've had this board for a long time, and have tried the most of it :)

vNB over 1.60 are most of the time a no go, for the most i think it's the heat, even if its not THAT high, Theres no NB temp monitor on this board, but my X58 gets +50 in load so, and then its no MCH there either :)... X48 are sensetive against voltage and heat.
and are a little bit like the X58 wich need a good combo of VTT dram AND vcore to be fully cooperative.
the GTL for the X48 can also do its part actually.

in my watercooling setup i managed with just amb. room temp get it to 540fsb i think, dont remember the voltage though. then when i did put it in wintertemps right beside the balcony i got to 590 fsb valid cpu-z. dont really know if it was cpu or mobo or both that won most of it, but got personal record of 5.3ghz on water with my 8600 then.

dont forget, not all mobos are golden ones either :)

JohnnyV
04-20-2009, 07:24 AM
for 450 FSB you should not need a high vNB. Higher voltage can often mean less stability. For this FSB you would need around 1,3v I think. You should also check whether it's the cpu that is preventing you from getting to 3,6 or the RAM. In my opinion vNB tweaking is best used for RAM settings.

I've never had the need for 1,6v even though I have a waterblock on the NB. Above 1,5v gives instability for my board.

mpc
04-20-2009, 08:39 AM
Yeah, I've had this board for a long time, and have tried the most of it :)

vNB over 1.60 are most of the time a no go, for the most i think it's the heat, even if its not THAT high, Theres no NB temp monitor on this board, but my X58 gets +50 in load so, and then its no MCH there either :)... X48 are sensetive against voltage and heat.
and are a little bit like the X58 wich need a good combo of VTT dram AND vcore to be fully cooperative.
the GTL for the X48 can also do its part actually.

in my watercooling setup i managed with just amb. room temp get it to 540fsb i think, dont remember the voltage though. then when i did put it in wintertemps right beside the balcony i got to 590 fsb valid cpu-z. dont really know if it was cpu or mobo or both that won most of it, but got personal record of 5.3ghz on water with my 8600 then.

dont forget, not all mobos are golden ones either :)

Mine Works way better, with higher VNB. I'm working on 660Mhz (just a big fan over the NB-Heatpipe, gets really hot if i won't use it...) right now, running with 1.71V on the NB...
Maybe its even the FSB-Wall of the CPU ;)

SoulsCollective
04-20-2009, 05:28 PM
I also had to push huge vNB on my old P5E3 board to get a Q9450 stable at 3.6, around 1.65. It looks like there're some boards that'll tolerate it and some that won't :shrug:

Infa
04-21-2009, 01:33 AM
Yeah X48 were good performance wise, but harder to get stable, and need more tweaking than other chipsets.
this was Intels last thing to sqeeze performance from the MCH, hence they called it enthusiast.

But now it's X58 and i7 chance to glow :)

GreatMilenko911
04-21-2009, 12:35 PM
When I get the chance I'll make sure to try all the suggestions. I'm a noob with this board, didn't OC till I got a 790i and this X48 holy crap has a lot of settings you can change lol.

mpc
04-21-2009, 12:47 PM
Try the Rampage Extreme, or a DFI, it has even more settings and is more complicated. :D
Just try it and tell us how it worked out.

ReverendMaynard
04-21-2009, 01:11 PM
When I get the chance I'll make sure to try all the suggestions. I'm a noob with this board, didn't OC till I got a 790i and this X48 holy crap has a lot of settings you can change lol.

in bold is your problem right there. That pos tainted you ;)

Some pretty basic questions here that haven't been asked which is a whole other topic :confused:

How about a list of components like cooling, ram model/timings and psu?

What memory strap are you using? What performance level are you using? What voltages have you adjusted aside from vNB?

And finally, to the dudes who say the x48 doesn't need allot of vNB you obviously haven't used one...because they EAT vNB like pasta.

Let's get you on track here :)

mpc
04-21-2009, 01:20 PM
Like i said mine needs 1.71V but every board is different.
Try 266Strap, probably will be the best...

GreatMilenko911
04-21-2009, 03:53 PM
in bold is your problem right there. That pos tainted you ;)

Some pretty basic questions here that haven't been asked which is a whole other topic :confused:

How about a list of components like cooling, ram model/timings and psu?

What memory strap are you using? What performance level are you using? What voltages have you adjusted aside from vNB?

And finally, to the dudes who say the x48 doesn't need allot of vNB you obviously haven't used one...because they EAT vNB like pasta.

Let's get you on track here :)

Rig:
1000w Antec
Asus P5E3 premium
9800GX2
1600mhz Corsair 9-9-9-24
Q9450

For 3.6 to boot:

1.39vcore
333strap
1800mhz ram 9-9-9-24 1.9v

I forgot what else I put this is off the top of my head. I had the 0/1 thingy at like .67 i think for both.... lol I'll post more when I get home.

ReverendMaynard
04-21-2009, 04:09 PM
Like i said mine needs 1.71V but every board is different.
Try 266Strap, probably will be the best...

266 strap is way too tight for a high quad fsb overclock.

333 or bust.