PDA

View Full Version : Huge EVGA Fail!!!! GTX 295 Hydro "copper" mixes ALU and CU in the same BLOCK!

zlojack
03-24-2009, 02:45 PM
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12774&Itemid=40

:shakes:

NaeKuh
03-24-2009, 02:50 PM
OMG WTF is eVGA thinking...

this picture sum's it up:

http://www.itx.ba/images/stories/Recenzije/Grafika/295/EVGA%20Hydro/blok-otvoren-skroz.jpg

This could be the OEM innovotek block... maybe...

theseeker
03-24-2009, 02:53 PM
Not to mention the seal and all of the screws! That is a nightmare.

NaeKuh
03-24-2009, 02:54 PM
that block looks like its starting to corrode.

Parts of it is a tintish green, and i see pits starting to form in areas.

YUCK...

http://www.itx.ba/images/stories/Recenzije/Grafika/295/EVGA%20Hydro/blok-rastavljen-do-pola.jpg

Spencer1590
03-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Lol just check the finish, :sick:, and the price ..... :rofl:

deepcover
03-24-2009, 02:57 PM
The reviewer didn't seem to care about this flaw.

hotdun
03-24-2009, 03:01 PM
that block looks like its starting to corrode.

Parts of it is a tintish green, and i see pits starting to form in areas.

YUCK...

Corrosionphobia at it's best... :ROTF: What a major design failure....shoulda took a profit cut and went with a 3rd party manufacturer...

faster3200
03-24-2009, 03:02 PM
The reviewer didn't seem to care about this flaw.

:ROTF:

I know, he just goes on as if nothing is wrong.

MrToad
03-24-2009, 03:05 PM
E P I C F A I L

Even the Stealth, which was plated to the highest standards, didn't quite escape galvanic corrosion...

This one with naked aluminium... LOL!

zlojack
03-24-2009, 03:07 PM
LOL

I predict a product recall. Every single one of these is going to see corrosion! Unreal.

evil-98
03-24-2009, 03:15 PM
i bet you they voids warranty when opened so those un aware users start corroding they wont know and if they open it up to look its voided! :rolleyes:

either way most of use will stay away from it, bad idea from EVGA but doesnt really matter to us all that much right?

edit:

also looks like the CU plates are installed the direction?? looks like it wont be flowing well..

MrToad
03-24-2009, 03:15 PM
LOL

I predict a product recall. Every single one of these is going to see corrosion! Unreal.

Indeed. I don't know what amount of glycol you'd have to add to your coolant to make it safe with such a huge piece of aluminium thrown into the mix...

Sly Fox
03-24-2009, 03:16 PM
I (generally) like EVGA, but this is just shameful. They need to clean this up before anyone else buys this thing.

When you pay that kind of premium for a card, you should get a quality product. Not this crap. :down:

systemviper
03-24-2009, 03:19 PM
i'm still just stunned, it's like a bad joke, but it's reality, whooooooooooo

MrToad
03-24-2009, 03:26 PM
After the great job they did with the original Hydro for the 280, I'm just stunned by this. :shocked: There's just not enough words to describe how ultimately stupid this is.

They are absolute fools, period.

andyc

Well, seems this time they commissioned the contraption to the wrong people.

Honestly, for the premium, I'm sure every major name in "the scene" (if I may) could have come up with something much better suited.

jimmyxxx
03-24-2009, 03:29 PM
Bad eVGA, Bad boy ...

quattro_
03-24-2009, 03:32 PM
im not surprised at all, after they send my a badly used RMA mobo with blue coolant everywhere over the board then refused to pay for shipping it back or even cross-shipping a new one hell they did not even apologize for all what happened to me!!! good job EVGA :up:

BlueAqua
03-24-2009, 03:46 PM
Nice HydroAluminum with a splash of copper block. :rofl:

Who's up for a group buy?:doh:

zlojack
03-24-2009, 04:02 PM
It's amazing that there are people out there who defend mixing metals :shakes:

nikhsub1
03-24-2009, 04:12 PM
What n00bs.

zlojack
03-24-2009, 04:16 PM
"Just get a bottle of pentosin"

SNiiPE_DoGG
03-24-2009, 04:17 PM
. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../ Aluminum......!#%$
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--

BrokeDown
03-24-2009, 04:18 PM
Snipe you must be bored...:ROTF:

MrToad
03-24-2009, 04:23 PM
"Just get a bottle of pentosin"

And don't dilute it... or else :p:

YMAA
03-24-2009, 04:45 PM
If eVGA's instructions warn people to use special coolant with the block, they don't have to recall. I'm looking to see if there's a product page for the card or block, but nothing so far.

Ideally, the block should be pure copper. Better performance and it removes any risk of this happening. Maybe they used aluminum because there were a lot of complaints about their 260/280 block being WAY heavier than it needs to be?

Besides, it's not called Hydroalucopper, it's Hydrocopper.

bot@xs
03-24-2009, 04:49 PM
by mixing metal they should recommend a special coolant, one that prevents corrosion.

MomijiTMO
03-24-2009, 04:54 PM
LMAO, the 280 had a beautiful block so most would have assumed a similar part would be in this bundle.

IanY
03-24-2009, 05:31 PM
And to think of it if they had a GTX 285 Hydro block for sale, I would have bought five of them already!! I was waiting impatiently for the Hydro block to be released!!

IanY
03-24-2009, 05:36 PM
Didn't EVGA learn from its venture with Innovatek ??

Bad decision making... makes me want to avoid their graphics cards and motherboards as well.

Don't mean to be a stereotyping bigot, but the next German comes along touting their new "Copper" waterblock....

just a noob
03-24-2009, 05:46 PM
i think mercury is the perfect corrosion inhibitor in this case :D

IanY
03-24-2009, 05:48 PM
How about an incinerator or a landfill ?

MomijiTMO
03-24-2009, 05:48 PM
It didn't say it was pure copper. . . ..

I can think of so many products that bend the truth. Just look at food items. eg Bacon dip [2% bacon, bacon flavour].

SoulsCollective
03-24-2009, 05:49 PM
wut

wutwutwut

wutwutwutwutwutwut?

The 280 block was great. WTF is this excrement?

Anemone
03-24-2009, 06:04 PM
Yep this is pretty much a disaster. Even fools, will buy this card in very tiny amounts. All of us are going to steer clear. Probably they were afraid of the weight, or the cost of a copper/delrin or copper/acryl block, but even if they were, this is just a disastrous move.

Not so sure I believe all those "great service from EVGA" anymore when I see this kind of thing foisted off as a "great new product". Makes me a bit leery what weaknesses lie within the Classified, besides the Realtek lan chips (probably intentionally chosen to promote the new separate Lan cards).

I can't help but look at the review and get the creeps. This is a top end card, and likely to go in a top end system. Could you imagine the kind of havok that could be wrought on some 5k+ system by installing this piece of garbage? /sigh

MomijiTMO
03-24-2009, 06:15 PM
Yeah weight would have been a big reason. The EK block is 1.3kgs.

sirheck
03-24-2009, 06:19 PM
:shakes:

Every NV video card i own is an EVGA.
This wont be one of them.

Eddie3dfx
03-24-2009, 06:37 PM
I haven't been too happy with Evga lately.
The sad part is, it's not like they are unaware of these issues.
Their staff is fully aware of the watercooling community and it's desires.
Yes, the old block is really nice... but this? :shrug:

Jor3lBR
03-24-2009, 06:45 PM
Fail it is, a 5 days old block already looks like it has suffered 5 years of corrosion!

Planet
03-24-2009, 07:01 PM
And to think of it if they had a GTX 285 Hydro block for sale, I would have bought five of them already!! I was waiting impatiently for the Hydro block to be released!!

They did release an all copper/delrin block for 285. They are in stock as well.

IanY
03-24-2009, 07:20 PM
They did release an all copper/delrin block for 285. They are in stock as well.

Thank you. It does look nice, and I am indeed going to buy. Thanks for letting me know.

Hondacity
03-24-2009, 07:22 PM
where can i get one of these? i want the 720mhz gpu core :D

Blacky
03-24-2009, 07:26 PM
Wow what happened to the total quality management department that looks awful...

Chruschef
03-24-2009, 07:35 PM
for some reason, i almost kind of doubt this. it is fud, and eVGA machines their own waterblocks last time i checked. they've always machined them out of copper and delrin, all of them having the same identical design with the E's for a fin matrix; why would they so suddenly change from that? their hydrocopper cards have always been very expensive, i haven't ever seen eVGA get cheap on us. this product isn't even listed on their website yet, don't they usually have pre-order.
something just seems fishy. we'll see though when the products released.

$0.02

Sly Fox
03-24-2009, 07:58 PM
for some reason, i almost kind of doubt this. it is fud, and eVGA machines their own waterblocks last time i checked. they've always machined them out of copper and delrin, all of them having the same identical design with the E's for a fin matrix; why would they so suddenly change from that? their hydrocopper cards have always been very expensive, i haven't ever seen eVGA get cheap on us. this product isn't even listed on their website yet, don't they usually have pre-order.

$0.02

I hope you're right.

If only to save any potential buyers from this corrosion havoc. :rofl:

zlojack
03-24-2009, 08:01 PM

$0.02

Interesting point. I really hope you're right.

MomijiTMO
03-24-2009, 08:06 PM
Yeah good point Chruschef.

Let's wait for someone to confirm.

IanY
03-24-2009, 08:07 PM
zlojack,

The GTX 285 blocks are gorgeous in my eyes and most definitely solid copper (alike but different from the GTX 280 blocks). I'm buying those.

zlojack
03-24-2009, 08:12 PM
zlojack,

The GTX 285 blocks are gorgeous in my eyes and most definitely solid copper (alike but different from the GTX 280 blocks). I'm buying those.

I took a look at them today and I agree with you. Very nice blocks :up:

Which makes these all the more shocking!

defect9
03-24-2009, 08:23 PM
it looks like nickel-plated copper that had black coolant run through it.

Jokester_wild
03-24-2009, 09:33 PM
it looks like nickel-plated copper that had black coolant run through it.

:rolleyes: no it looks like aluminum. nickel plating is not dull. its shiny very shiny, and it doesn't allow for colors to be absorbed in.

evil-98
03-24-2009, 09:53 PM
i present to you

INNOVATEK.. cool-matic GTX 295... (http://74.125.19.132/translate_c?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.webshop-innovatek.de/shop/Neue-Produkte/Cool-Matic-GTX-295---Double-Side.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://www.webshop-innovatek.de/shop/%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dfirefox%26rls%3 Dcom.yahoo:en-US:official%26hs%3Dgyg&usg=ALkJrhjv8FGpLt8cq79UUcJI2Q-fvacF3Q)

http://www.webshop-innovatek.de/shop/out/oxbaseshop/html/0/dyn_images/z1/501426_2_z1.jpg
http://www.webshop-innovatek.de/shop/out/oxbaseshop/html/0/dyn_images/z2/501426_2e_z2.jpg
http://www.webshop-innovatek.de/shop/out/oxbaseshop/html/0/dyn_images/z3/501426_2f_z3.jpg
http://www.webshop-innovatek.de/shop/out/oxbaseshop/html/0/dyn_images/z4/501426_2d_z4.jpg

looks like the only difference between the two is the copper base... :( sad sad sad

Waterlogged
03-24-2009, 09:58 PM
Well, evil beat me to it by 5 minutes but yeah, that turd has Innovatek's crappy machining and flow pattern written all over it.

evil-98
03-24-2009, 10:02 PM
yay i win! wheres my cookie...

yea the way it was design it was obvious that i was made by innovatek.

atleast we can say that EVGA made a bad decision and that it wasnt there fault entirely.. :shrug:?

Waterlogged
03-24-2009, 10:08 PM

atleast we can say that EVGA made a bad decision and that it wasnt there fault entirely.. :shrug:?

By my count, it's at least the third time EVGA has made this mistake (Innovatek). They also had a full MoBo set for 680 (IIRC) and 8800Ultra(again IIRC) both called "Black Pearl". They took a beating on the GFX block on their own forum, ask DB.

DarthBeavis
03-24-2009, 10:12 PM
By my count, it's at least the third time EVGA has made this mistake (Innovatek). They also had a full MoBo set for 680 (IIRC) and 8800Ultra(again IIRC) both called "Black Pearl". They took a beating on the GFX block on their own forum, ask DB.

LOL . . . .who did the beating ;)

Chruschef
03-24-2009, 10:16 PM
*snip*

didn't read the rest of the thread, came back to my computer, forgot to refresh ::P:
well we'll if this is real when we see it on the shelf.

i have to ask though, did EVGA machine their own blocks back then? were their first two waterblocks the aformentioned blocks?(680/8800GTX/ultra)? was it the case that they started machining their own to sell, instead of letting another company(innovatek) mess it up a third time. the copper bit was a bit suspicious though. where the old blocks copper for the core matrix, or straight aluminum?

Waterlogged
03-24-2009, 10:20 PM
LOL . . . .who did the beating ;)

Heh, I just dug up that topic on DD to follow the link you posted and what do you know, that topic of them getting their arse handed back to them not so politely isn't there anymore. :rofl:

NaeKuh
03-24-2009, 11:58 PM
OMG WTF is eVGA thinking...

This could be the OEM innovotek block... maybe...

Well, evil beat me to it by 5 minutes but yeah, that turd has Innovatek's crappy machining and flow pattern written all over it.

actually i got way b4 u guys did. :rofl:

NaMcO
03-25-2009, 01:58 AM
Don't know what's wrong with metal mixture in a loop. Had loops working for over 2 years with blocks from Innovatek in Aluminum and EK in Copper and never ever had a single spot of corrosion. It's all in the cooling fluid...

Anyway, back on topic... That product should have never been advertised as Hydro Copper, it's fooling the consumer and we all know Copper is a better heat conductor and works better (and is more expensive as well) than Aluminum. Looks like a fail :down: to me.

Spankyfart
03-25-2009, 01:59 AM
Heh, I just dug up that topic on DD to follow the link you posted and what do you know, that topic of them getting their arse handed back to them not so politely isn't there anymore. :rofl:

Pretty sure it's out there somewhere.
http://www.archive.org/web/web.php

Nickel020
03-25-2009, 03:19 AM
Don't know what's wrong with metal mixture in a loop. Had loops working for over 2 years with blocks from Innovatek in Aluminum and EK in Copper and never ever had a single spot of corrosion. It's all in the cooling fluid...

Anyway, back on topic... That product should have never been advertised as Hydro Copper, it's fooling the consumer and we all know Copper is a better heat conductor and works better (and is more expensive as well) than Aluminum. Looks like a fail :down: to me.

+1

You can mix metals just fine as long as you don't as you you use proper cooling fluid/additives. I mean every other car cooling system mixes metals, and they seem to be doing well...
Lots of people are also running Innovatek and Aqua Computer alu stuff with copper blocks and it works just fine (as long as they use proper additives of course).
I'm not saying that alu is good, but it's definitely usable in a WC setup.

Selling that block as Hydro Copper is deliberately misleading customers though, they should have never done that. Also, if someone sells alu blocks they should provide sufficient information on what corrosion protection should be used, which EVGA seems to not be doing considering the look of the block in the pics :down:

$0.02

EVGA has been selling video cards with Innovatek blocks for years in Europe. Considering this there's no reason to doubt this. Also Fud is not really known for faking reviews, they may often provide dubious rumors that turn out to be wrong, but they don't fake reviews.

SoulsCollective
03-25-2009, 05:44 AM
+1

You can mix metals just fine as long as you don't as you you use proper cooling fluid/additives. I mean every other car cooling system mixes metals, and they seem to be doing well...
Lots of people are also running Innovatek and Aqua Computer alu stuff with copper blocks and it works just fine (as long as they use proper additives of course).
I'm not saying that alu is good, but it's definitely usable in a WC setup.These additives are called corrosion inhibitors. Not corrosion blockers. Galvanic corrosion cannot be halted by adding in compounds, only slowed - any mixed volatile metals in a loop will cause corrosion. In order to fully protect yourself against any corrosion within the usable lifetime of the products, you'd have to add so much corrosion inhibitor to your loop that performance would suffer a huge hit - and you still couldn't guarantee anything.

Mixed metals are definitely not "usable", unless you like gambling with your hardware, and especially not when there are Cu variants available for more or less the same price.

BringerOdeath
03-25-2009, 06:16 AM
Well, now EVGA has this gem under their belt too!! http://www.evga.com/articles/00467/

WOW, 197 Euros for that Aluminum POS??

Jah
03-25-2009, 06:20 AM
/golfclap

Seriously, people will never learn

hotdun
03-25-2009, 06:23 AM
....In order to fully protect yourself against any corrosion within the usable lifetime of the products, you'd have to add so much corrosion inhibitor to your loop that performance would suffer a huge hit - and you still couldn't guarantee anything.

Mixed metals are definitely not "usable"....

As much as I hate mixing metals, I gotta disagree with you on this. Mixing metals is not ideal but "OK" with the proper corrosion inhibiter. Adding more corrosion inhibitor than necessary will not extend the life of your product. A product's life cycle nowadays is what?....6 months to maybe 2 years max? I agree, you _will_ lose out on performance from using coolant instead of straight distilled but the drop will be minimal for most users.

That being said.....mixing metals in a loop is one thing...mixing metals in a single block is another....what a piece of crap....

Nickel020
03-25-2009, 07:21 AM
Mixed metals are definitely not "usable", unless you like gambling with your hardware, and especially not when there are Cu variants available for more or less the same price.

How do you explain that people have been running mixed metal loops for years with no problems?
Why do the radiators and other parts of the cooling system in cars work for dozens of years if corrosion is such a problem?

Because of the "don't mix metals" hysteria on XS you don't find many people doing it here, but many German companies have been selling alu stuff for like 10 years now. How do you explain that these companies still exist if their products are not usable as you claim?

Sorry, but you obviously don't know what you're talking about.

PS: I'm not defending EVGA here, this product and the way it's marketed sucks. I'm jsut saying that alu is not inherently bad. If price and performance are right then there's no reason not to use alu with a good corrosion inhibitor. And this is coming from someone whose Swiftech Apogee GTX top suffers from corrosion (no inhibitor used though, I know what to do next time...).

SNiiPE_DoGG
03-25-2009, 07:23 AM
How do you explain that people have been running mixed metal loops for years with no problems?
Why do the radiators and other parts of the cooling system in cars work for dozens of years if corrosion is such a problem?

Because of the "don't mix metals" hysteria on XS you don't find many people doing it here, but many German companies have been selling alu stuff for like 10 years now. How do you explain that these companies still exist if their products are not usable as you claim?

Performance Performance Performance Performance Performance Performance Performance Performance Performance Performance Performance Performance Performance Performance Performance Performance Performance Performance

NaeKuh
03-25-2009, 07:40 AM

yeah ur right i dont know what im talking about..

Just like this wasnt corrosion eh?

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/aigomorla/IMG_1156.jpg

The point is to avoid that, not delay it.

Mixing metals with AntiCor coolant will delay that, skipping it will avoid it entirely.

And its not happy or nice when you got that and you need to clean it up from your loop.

but many German companies have been selling alu stuff for like 10 years now. How do you explain that these companies still exist if their products are not usable as you claim?

Its called lack of real competition, and grossely messed up testing methodology.

dude dont even try to defend germans here unless its benz porsche or bmw.

Hondacity
03-25-2009, 07:42 AM
wasn't that steel?

NaeKuh
03-25-2009, 07:44 AM
wasn't that steel?

corrosion is still corrosion.

it involves mixing of metals.

if it was alu it would of been the same result.
im showing him that its possible. (because he said We have no idea WHAT we are talking about right?)

Oh and that company fixed that mistake, not much can be said about the germans.

(im not very happy with german h2o people, there low flow bs and messed up testing methodolgy is spreading like virus).

Chruschef
03-25-2009, 07:47 AM
EVGA has been selling video cards with Innovatek blocks for years in Europe. Considering this there's no reason to doubt this. Also Fud is not really known for faking reviews, they may often provide dubious rumors that turn out to be wrong, but they don't fake reviews.

are you saying in europe they sell these cards w/ innovatek blocks because its cheap, and in america they sell them with their CU blocks? i haven't even seen an aluminum block on an EVGA card in the states. maybe the review is of european sample. :rolleyes: i really hope they didn't botch this up, otherwise thats a lot of respect lost from watercoolers, tis a shame as well because their FC GPU blocks were really top notch.

NaeKuh
03-25-2009, 07:51 AM
gives them even more a reason to hate us now eh chruschef....

us fat americans get all the best stuff and give eu the second par stuff? :rofl:

^nickle this is what your implying more.

evil-98
03-25-2009, 07:56 AM
actually i got way b4 u guys did. :rofl:

you win :( atleast i got the pics :p:

anyways, i just feel that there is no reason to mix metals when its so easily avoided. the point is not that you "can" mix metals is why should we. So we rant and avoid. :up: the XS way :rofl:

Chruschef
03-25-2009, 08:13 AM
gives them even more a reason to hate us now eh chruschef....

us fat americans get all the best stuff and give eu the second par stuff? :rofl:

^nickle this is what your implying more.

across the water they're more accepting of mixing metals, unlike us the picky stubborn fat americans.

nickle on this block? maybe. but that doesn't explain the innovatek design. im suggesting this is just an EU card, and they'll have a CU block for the US'of'A & canada. can't forget about canada

edit maybe we should post this on their forums, and give'em hell again just to make sure. what also sucks about this card though, is that if your buying an entirely new card nvidia is about to release a single PCB version(http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/showthread.php?t=222256), making your shiny new EVGA FC HydroCopper GTX295 obsolete.

Nickel020
03-25-2009, 08:53 AM
are you saying in europe they sell these cards w/ innovatek blocks because its cheap, and in america they sell them with their CU blocks? i haven't even seen an aluminum block on an EVGA card in the states. maybe the review is of european sample. :rolleyes: i really hope they didn't botch this up, otherwise thats a lot of respect lost from watercoolers, tis a shame as well because their FC GPU blocks were really top notch.

What I'm saying is that EVGA sold video cards with Innovatek blocks here before they developed their own "hydro copper" blocks. This was 8800 GTX/Ultra time, maybe even earlier (8800s were the first ones I noticed).

@Naekuh

Did you even bother to read my post?

If anyone wants proof that alu and copper mix fine with proper additives they just need to take a look at Aqua Computer's forum...

Again, I', not advocating the use of alu, I'm just saying that using alu and copper in one loop without getting corrosion is easily possible.

evil-98
03-25-2009, 09:07 AM
Again, I', not advocating the use of alu, I'm just saying that using alu and copper in one loop without getting corrosion is easily possible.

and using a loop without aluminum is easier i dont think you get the point. its pretty clear that you can mix metals, we know that. but why would you in the first place?

NaeKuh
03-25-2009, 09:08 AM
@Naekuh

Did you even bother to read my post?

If anyone wants proof that alu and copper mix fine with proper additives they just need to take a look at Aqua Computer's forum...

do you know how much of an oxymoron this sounds?

it sounds like your on our senate budget / emergency relief fund board explaining to the public why AIG bailout was good.

cx-ray
03-25-2009, 09:18 AM

Aqua Computer used to a sell an optional copper insert for their 8800 GTX full cover block. The text accompanying the product basically stated that it comes as is. Use it at your own risk. We won't be held responsible for corrosion problems. Somewhere on their forum there was a customer with a messed up block as well...maybe it's still up there...

As for personal experience, I once had an aluminum anodized reservoir by them. Used it according to their instructions with ACfluid. After several weeks corrosion had already started in the fitting threads.
After that I cleaned my system out and I ran the same setup; full copper with an acrylic reservoir instead for 1.5 years without any trouble whatsoever.

Waterlogged
03-25-2009, 10:20 AM
Most mixed metal blocks are usually plated or anodized which also helps lower (but not completely eliminate) the risk of corrosion. Once there is a nick in either, it's all over except for the deterioration. This turd was neither plated or anodized from the looks of it.

I really have to laugh at the comparisons to the automotive industries use of mixed metals. Most auto's use a 50/50 mix of water and anti-freeze (corrosion inhibitor) which is far higher than anyone should use in a computer due to the thermal transfer rate taking a very serious hit. This is the reason for such longevity without corrosion. Maybe that's the reason Innovatek Protect is so good at holding corrosion at bay...and why the temps are crap.

naokaji
03-25-2009, 11:34 AM
Evga has sold cards with alu blocks for years, ever since they teamed up with innovatek back then in the 7800 days (http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=3977).

IanY
03-25-2009, 11:43 AM
Well, they suck at LC now just as much as they did back then.:D

andyc

Andy,

The new 285 blocks look pretty darn gorgeous.. every bit as beautiful as the 280 blocks. Its solid copper. I can't wait to receive them.

veedubfreak
03-25-2009, 02:09 PM
I think its funny how everyone is jumping on the bandwagon of hate when evga doesnt even have a "hydrocopper 295" listed. Why not wait until they actually have them FOR SALE and some proof other than FUD to back up claims of alu. Why would they suddenly go from all copper GORGEOUS blocks to that aluminum monstrosity. Also, the EU gets lots of nice things us fat americans cant get, like german cars with real suspensions and good engines, while we get the crappy detuned, raised version of the cars.

evil-98
03-25-2009, 02:44 PM
I think its funny how everyone is jumping on the bandwagon of hate when evga doesnt even have a "hydrocopper 295" listed. Why not wait until they actually have them FOR SALE and some proof other than FUD to back up claims of alu. Why would they suddenly go from all copper GORGEOUS blocks to that aluminum monstrosity. Also, the EU gets lots of nice things us fat americans cant get, like german cars with real suspensions and good engines, while we get the crappy detuned, raised version of the cars.

well most people are just arguing about mix metals lol..
and EVGA used to use innovatek so its not that hard to believe.
this could be stunt! Or, they are trying to save money... i dont know

slim142
03-25-2009, 03:01 PM
Very Very SAD!

F- for this

BertM
03-25-2009, 03:46 PM
what a weird inefficient milling path :confused:

Waterlogged
03-25-2009, 08:08 PM
what a weird inefficient milling path :confused:

Not really when you consider the middle section that divides the two halves shown is missing. I thought the same thing yesterday when I was looking at it, and that's when I noticed the middle was missing from the pics.

veedubfreak
04-20-2009, 05:53 AM
So has anyone actually taken a retail version apart to see if its mixed metals yet?

tuanster1119
04-20-2009, 07:17 AM
So has anyone actually taken a retail version apart to see if its mixed metals yet?

I don't think a retail version has been released yet. I'm really starting to wonder whether the original pictures are even real.

Kougar
04-20-2009, 11:09 AM
Wow, dunno what to make of this one. That surely must have been a new GPU block, yet it looks as dirty and grungy as the inside of my Apogee GT did after a full year of use (with not so good water quality).

Since even EVGA does not list this card on their website I assume they realized the mistake and aren't going to release it after all. They seem to have several other new GTX 295 cards like the "Red" model listed instead... The GTX 285 Hydrocopper is listed though.

Regardless of the debate which I will stay out of, I am sure most watercoolers buying this card would not know or realize they will need to add an anti-corrosion additive to their loops, I at least wouldn't of had a clue. Having that stuff corroding within the loop would only start clogging pins within waterblocks and eventually begin affecting the pump.

zeroibis
04-20-2009, 02:30 PM
I can just imagine some noob buying this having a ton of problems later on from mixed metals and going ok looks like this WC stuff is just a bunch of crap and never trying it again.

I got a good lol of the reviewers attitude toward the block as being in my eyes: Ok here we see a waterblock, it looks like a normal block of good quality and look there is a cool copper part to make it preform better. Moving on we see how awesome this thing really is...

Jah
04-21-2009, 01:31 AM
I can just imagine some noob buying this having a ton of problems later on from mixed metals and going ok looks like this WC stuff is just a bunch of crap and never trying it again.

I got a good lol of the reviewers attitude toward the block as being in my eyes: Ok here we see a waterblock, it looks like a normal block of good quality and look there is a cool copper part to make it preform better. Moving on we see how awesome this thing really is...

Agree, the main risk of water cooling is all those traps to fall in to on the way, and get a crap experience of it all. Lets just hope this is some kind of pre production test gone horribly wrong :eek:

Mick64
06-15-2009, 07:40 PM
The GTX 295 Hydro Copper from eVGA (http://www.evga.com/articles/00478/)

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk77/mickcox64/200-CU-HC95-B1_LG_5.jpg

DarthBeavis
06-15-2009, 07:44 PM
http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?news=NDAxOTcsLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdCwsLDE=

NaeKuh
06-15-2009, 07:52 PM
PWN!

LOL

But BFG doesnt make there own waterblocks. DD makes it for them :P

BlueAqua
06-15-2009, 08:04 PM
I think this new block looks pretty good. "Undisputed" or not, I'd take this over the similar Danger Den/BFG card.

I do think BFG is the Undisputed champ at overpriced water cooled video cards.

DarthBeavis
06-15-2009, 08:07 PM
I think this new block looks pretty good. "Undisputed" or not, I'd take this over the similar Danger Den/BFG card.

I do think BFG is the Undisputed champ at overpriced water cooled video cards.

based on?

BulldogPO
06-16-2009, 12:22 AM
That hydrocopper block looks fine.

MpG
06-16-2009, 02:13 AM
-Has sold most of those water cooled models as true single slot solutions with both water block and bracket only consuming one add-in card slot
I take slight exception to that. I've got about 0.5mm clearance between the block's screws and any card I want to put below it. But yeah, I'd still take the DD block over the EVGA one any day of the week. And I got my H2OC model for a pretty solid price at the time.

RoadconeTuning
06-16-2009, 05:03 AM
im surprised captain planet hasnt posted in here...

DeathWalking
06-16-2009, 06:23 AM
im surprised captain planet hasnt posted in here......he's our hero?

bluehaze
06-16-2009, 06:58 AM
The EVGA still uses a dual slot bracket LOL At least BFG was smart enough to use a single slot bracket. I will take the BFG over the EVGA anyday :up:

http://www.evga.com/articles/00478/images/waterblock_banner.jpg

http://www.fudzilla.com/images/stories/2009/June/General%20News/bfg_gtx295h20c_single_1.jpg

Although having said that, I rather the dual pcb over either one of these because you can't use the software voltage tuner with the single PCB due to the cheaper components and no more Volterra. So what's the point to watercooling if your not gonna overclock? This card would have been awesome if they stayed with Volterra instead of switching to Drmos.

DarthBeavis
06-16-2009, 07:04 AM
I am not saying anything bad about the EVGA stuff I am just saying they are retards for their statement saying they are the master jedis of water-cooled GPUS. I do believe Danger Den is the pioneer of full coverage GPU blocks and they make the BFG blocks. BFG is the first company to offer blocks as a factory option and include in their warranty.

Erasmus354
06-16-2009, 11:53 AM
I am not saying anything bad about the EVGA stuff I am just saying they are retards for their statement saying they are the master jedis of water-cooled GPUS. I do believe Danger Den is the pioneer of full coverage GPU blocks and they make the BFG blocks. BFG is the first company to offer blocks as a factory option and include in their warranty.

I'm not entirely sure DD is the "pioneer" of full coverage GPU blocks. Didn't both them and Innovatek first come out with FC blocks for the 6800 around the same time?

SNiiPE_DoGG
06-16-2009, 12:13 PM
I'm not entirely sure DD is the "pioneer" of full coverage GPU blocks. Didn't both them and Innovatek first come out with FC blocks for the 6800 around the same time?

DD was the first ;)