PDA

View Full Version : I'm still stuck over choosing my next cell phone

Mungri
03-23-2009, 05:18 PM
Hi. My upgrade on T-mob uk is coming up this saturday, although I might have to wait an extra month or two for a suitable release for a new handset.

I had my decision set on the LG KM900 Arena which T-mobile told me they should be getting by the end of the month, but I dont know much about other alternatives.

Could anyone recommend some phones that will be coming out soon for me to look up which meet the following requirements please?

- Screen - I would like a touch screen with a good UI and as many colours and DPI as possible. LG has 800x480 resolution on a compact 3" touch screen which is nice and the screen to beat.

- HSDPA 7.2 Mbps is a must

- Comfortable internet browsing and typing - this is where touch screens may have a problem and I have heard a few complaints about browsing on the KM900 Arena being uncomfortable which is a big negative since Im a mobile internet junkie :(

- At least 5 MP camera and VGA 30 FPS video capture. I dont need 8 MP at all and would prefer not to pay more for it, but better video capabilities are ok.

The current models that have what I am looking for are the LG Renoir and Samsung Pixon, but a newer, better looking and more compact model like the KM900 Arena would be prefered. I saw the Samsung I8910 Omnia 2, but that is far too expensive, I am looking for something around £300 which should be subsidised a lot more on contract. The LG KM900 Arena is £350, but looks worth the extra cost.

I just saw the HTC Diamond 2 in another thread which looks nice, but dont know how it compares to the LG nor if T mobile will be getting it.

I just want to gather info on all the handsets that have those specifications and then have a good long chat on saturday with T mobile about each and every one to make sure I get the right phone for the next 18 months :).

Mungri
03-24-2009, 07:57 PM
Well, the news from T mobile is that they are expecting the LG by the end of the month, and the touch diamond 2 in several weeks. A few retail stores are saying they will have the LG in stock from Monday 30th, so I will go for that unless it gets delayed.

There doesnt seem to be anything more to choose from other then the LG unless I wait another month or two, so I guess I should get the LG now, and then sell it and buy something better in 6 months time.

3 days left till my upgrade.

alphadog009
04-23-2009, 04:27 PM
just a quick question do you have the g1 phone there seeing as your with T mobile, thats a nice phone, not sure if it has hsdpa tho....

::EDIT:: yeah looks like it does have you seen that phone cuz its really nice, if your into the messaging style phones.. it also has a touch screen which is awesome and a trackball thing

GTSRboy
04-23-2009, 04:42 PM
iphone

...oh wait thats not T-Mobile..

ok then get the best Generic iPhone ripoff avaible...

lee143
04-23-2009, 05:25 PM
iphone

...oh wait thats not T-Mobile..

ok then get the best Generic iPhone ripoff avaible...

Or just get a better phone than the iphone ;)
I'm looking forward to the Diamond2 myself, it looks like it'll be a superb phone.

ILikeCosmosS
04-23-2009, 05:30 PM
diamond 2

dont get the G1 i hate it looks like crap bad bad bad maybe the g2 will be good and not have some crappy interface
samsung or some of those ok Lg phones based on every other lg phone

MikeRoz
04-23-2009, 05:40 PM
I too have an upgrade for T-Mobile coming up soon, and I'm conflicted as to what to get.
diamond 2

dont get the G1 i hate it looks like crap bad bad bad maybe the g2 will be good and not have some crappy interface
samsung or some of those ok Lg phones based on every other lg phoneEh? The G1 may not have the curves of the iPhone, but it does have a physical keyboard. If the size/form factor is such a turn off, in a few months T-Mobile should be launching a touchscreen-only Android phone.

As to your comments about the interface, that's one of the reasons people would get a G1. Google is trying their hardest to make Android an iPhone OS competitor. Anyone who uses Google Calendar or GMail would probably welcome the tight integration with those services. Also, a major update to the OS is right around the corner (google Android Cupcake for more info), and that will hopefully streamline everything and make the software smoother around the edges.

lee143
04-23-2009, 05:41 PM
diamond 2

samsung or some of those ok Lg phones based on every other lg phone

What's wrong with the G1? The interface is pretty self explanatory and easy to work with. Also, Samsung and LG have been making quality phones for years, I have to say I disagree with this post except in that the Diamond2 is a great choice once it comes to the US.

ILikeCosmosS
04-23-2009, 05:59 PM
its something about it i hate
i hate when people buy it in white i hate when people make it look like crap
i hate it when people make themselves look cool with it Hence they are not
i hate the people not the g1 but i blame the g1 for it
i find the lg phones all the same touchscreen but different shapes and sizes etc..

Mescalamba
04-23-2009, 06:05 PM
You are not stuck, I still have Nokia 3450 (I think) cause I still wasn't able to take time and choose some new one.. well, maybe in few years.. :D

Scubar
04-23-2009, 11:10 PM
the new Samsung Tocco Ultra and Nokia N86 look pretty good.

MikeRoz
04-24-2009, 05:48 AM
its something about it i hate
i hate when people buy it in white i hate when people make it look like crap
i hate it when people make themselves look cool with it Hence they are not
i hate the people not the g1 but i blame the g1 for itRight. I'll just have to make sure I get it in black and make myself look distinctly un-cool while using it, and I should be fine then.

Helmore
04-27-2009, 02:45 AM
What about the Samsung i7500?
http://androidcommunity.com/tag/samsung-i7500
Runs Android, has a 3,2" AMOLED capacitive touch screen with a 320x480 resolution and a 3,5 mm. headphone jack. Too bad about the resolution, I too prefer something with a resolution of 800x480, but it is still the best Android phone that is officially announced.

Xello
04-27-2009, 07:41 AM
When the hell is the N97 coming out? :mad: Then it'd be a no brainer :)

Mpetrosino
04-27-2009, 08:58 AM
iPhone has everything your looking for. Touch screen, Easy UI, Fast internet....

Does T-mobile carry the iPhone or is it just att?

Helmore
04-27-2009, 11:06 AM
iPhone has everything your looking for. Touch screen, Easy UI, Fast internet....

Does T-mobile carry the iPhone or is it just att?

Only on AT&T in the US. In Europe it's a different provider in pretty much each country and in some countries it's not even exclusive to a single carrier (forbidden by law in Italy I believe).
T-Mobile in the Netherlands and Germany
O2 in UK
Orange in France
Movistar in Spain IIRC
To only name a few.

[XC] moddolicous
04-27-2009, 04:24 PM
When the hell is the N97 coming out? :mad: Then it'd be a no brainer :)
Yea, that is what I'm holding out for. I'm hoping its out sometime in June, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

inCore
05-01-2009, 03:30 AM
The last time I heard of the N97 it was plagued by an OS that was up to speed a few years ago and now just looks old. Slow, buggy, unresponsive, completely overburdened by the functions and features that it boasts.

And to the 'appreciation of the intergration with Gmail and Calendar', my Blackberry syncs my Google Calendar and I get my Gmail onto my phone before I get it in my Gmail account on the pc, thanks to push-mail. There's also a Gmail application that offers pretty much all functions of the pc-version of Gmail. I'm not here to promote my Blackberry, seeing as the OP wants a touch-screen and the Blackberry Storm is an insult to other Blackberries, in my opinion.

I don't really understand why anybody would want the G1 to be honest. It's ugly and doesn't excel at anything.

I also find it an insult to the human race that only certain carriers get certain phones. Here in Switzerland, two out of three main carriers have the iPhone, as well as all Blackberries. Anything else is as ridiculous as certain TV channels getting the rights to showing certain sporting events and everybody else having to show some movie from the 70's that nobody wants to watch anyways.

TRF-Inferno
05-01-2009, 06:27 AM
If you want the iPhone and have T-Mobile, you may as well get it. It is ridiculously easy to install a jailbroken firmware and unlock it, even I was able to do it in 10 minutes and I've never unlocked any phone before. It works perfectly fine, the only thing I can complain about was that it can't use T-Mobile's 3G, which is not really the phone's fault.

I switched over to the G1, and as someone stated, it's a pretty ugly phone, but at least it can use T-Mobile's 3G so my data plan doesn't go to waste. If you don't want to go through the unlocking process and need a phone with decent internet browsing capabilities, the G1 so far is the closest thing you can get to the iPhone. Besides it being ugly, having dismal battery life and occasionally not reading the SD card, it works well.

The one I'm keeping an eye at this point is the Touch Pro 2, which is rumored to be available to T-Mobile in July. I would've had a Blackberry Curve 8900 if it supported 3G.

Extigy
05-01-2009, 08:38 AM
I have the touch diamond. Very good phone, lots of custom ROMS out there too. Iphone is the best though, in terms of usability and look and best touchscreen.

Brad8988
05-02-2009, 07:15 AM
My GF has a diamond and hates it. I had a play and its no where near as nice to use as my iPhone. I recently got a Tocco ultra which i sold as im happy with my iPhone but it was very very nice and the screen was so vibrant been OLED.