PDA

View Full Version : Good Open Source Server OS

HuffPCair
03-21-2009, 05:32 PM
What is a good Open Server OS. I am downloading Ubuntu Server right now just because I have Ubuntu for a long time but no experience with the server OS. Is it very good?
Right now I wont be using it for much just for me and my friends to P2P basically. So it will not be getting much use and I would like the OS to be as lite as possible because I am putting it on a OLDDDD computer.

So any ideas and if this OS is good enough then Ill just keep it I just wanted to see what everyone thought.

YMAA
03-21-2009, 05:45 PM
Ubuntu is not the way to go if you want a light OS. Debian would be much better if you still want something like Ubuntu.

HuffPCair
03-21-2009, 05:49 PM
Yeha I figured ubuntu wouldnt be that light and it doesnt really matter if it is like Ubuntu I can learn I just want to find something lite.

enteon
03-23-2009, 08:41 AM
damn small linux is pretty...small ^^ and since it's based upon debian it's also "easy" to reconfigure, at least for advanced users.

but if debian runs fast enough i'd always recommend it. or cent os (red hat without support), which is even older/more stable.

Dr_Swizz
03-23-2009, 02:53 PM
You might want to take a look at OpenBSD. It not nearly as easy to use as Linux, but it is very secure and it will work just fine on an old machine.

HuffPCair
03-23-2009, 03:30 PM
Alrighty thanks guys. I am just now getting back onto this little project so thank you for your responses. I am going to look into all of them and see what one I like.

THanks everyone