PDA

View Full Version : Does the MCP355 need active cooling?

LOUISSSSS
03-20-2009, 07:29 PM
Does the MCP355 Pump need active cooling? or shall i let it burn? the bottom gets real hot, and i'm wondering what everyone here does to keep it cool? or do they just leave it on the sticky pad it came with?

i have the MCP355 + XSPC Restop

Hondacity
03-20-2009, 07:34 PM
a big NO

run it for 24hrs as soon as the loop stablizes..the underside will be warm to the touch....

Jhors2
03-20-2009, 07:35 PM
I have a scythe s-flex blowing on the underside of mine, the UN bracket helps quite a bit since it keeps it propped up and has some free flowing air as well. I think most people just let it be though, its made to run for extensive amounts of time, but the cooler you keep it of course the more efficient it is and the less heat dump you get in the loop.

shazza
03-20-2009, 07:47 PM
Louisssssssssss ... calm down, you are worrying too much about all this stuff. It will be fine!!!! :) Glad to see you so excited about your upcoming build.

Serpentarius
03-20-2009, 08:05 PM
dont worry .. if it gets too hot, the loop would take the portion of heat and the rad will take care of it
it's a small heat signature .. keep in mind, according to laing (manufacturer of MCP355), your pump can stay fresh up to 60deg c (140 F)

armeniandave
03-20-2009, 08:32 PM
I use the (UN) brackets also...oh wait I guess you probably already figured that out!

Honestly with the Pump mounted to the fan I can touch the bottom and it's just a little warm, if I turn that fan off it gets a bit hotter. In my opinion I didn't like the pump getting as hot as it did, I'm sure it would work but my preference would be to keep it as cool as possible. It's just like your CPU and GPU, you just try to make it the best temperature you can.

Jokester_wild
03-20-2009, 08:36 PM
Just mount it so its off of the surface by half an inch or so. That is how mine are... not even a problem.

Oli4v
03-20-2009, 08:36 PM
Mine in combination with EK x-top V2 runs without any kind of cooling, just a dampening mousse ...

but it's outside of the case, and sometime my pc is runnig for about 2 days (mostly 14h on sundays), other days of the weeks 'bout 3-6h/day, and the pump is running fine, so nothing to worry about ;)

faster3200
03-20-2009, 08:45 PM
I ran my pump literally taped down. It got warm, but so far everything is still working.

You keep worrying about stuff a lot, but that is good imo. Most people who are new to WCing either:
1. Worry a lot, ask a ton of questions, and end up with really nice stuff and are overly precautious.
or
2. Don't worry much at all, get WCing recommendations from Fred "I ALMOST passed A+ cert" Johnson and end up with TT stuff, no clamps, and glitter for coolant.

Based on how many question you have asked, I think you will be ok and end up with a great comp :up:. Once you set everything up you will realize just how easy this all is.

Waterlogged
03-20-2009, 08:57 PM
I've run my DDC's 24/7 for months using the stock sticky pad and sitting on the sound absorbing material that Petra sells with no problems....and I'm talking DDC-2's, not the 3.2 which run a good deal cooler. ;)

Jhors2
03-20-2009, 11:00 PM
2. Don't worry much at all, get WCing recommendations from Fred "I ALMOST passed A+ cert" Johnson and end up with TT stuff, no clamps, and glitter for coolant.

Whats up with people and using glitter for and/or in their coolant today?? jeez, this will be the new nanofluid at this rate :ROTF:

LOUISSSSS
03-21-2009, 12:27 AM
Louisssssssssss ... calm down, you are worrying too much about all this stuff. It will be fine!!!! :) Glad to see you so excited about your upcoming build.

haha i'm probably doing all this question asking and worrying because i have my case, cpu, gpu, everything EXCEPT MOTHERBOARD. (being rma'd)

so theres nothing i can power on except for the pump and prepping the case, which i have already lol i'll prob end up breaking something soon if i keep messing around.

yes i worry a lot, i think its due to my ocd, where i like (need?) to do everything right the first time. sorry guys

WaterFlex
03-21-2009, 12:44 AM
Yeah, it doesn`t need cooling. Using my pump with top for 24\7. No problems .

shazza
03-21-2009, 05:51 AM
No worries, LOUISSSSS. Once your mb gets here, and you have a chance to start putting everything together, you may have more questions. Don't hesitate to ask them.

gillbot
03-21-2009, 06:36 AM
i keep a fan pointed at all my pumps

Eddie3dfx
03-21-2009, 07:30 AM
If owned a ddc, I would mount an 80mm fan to the bottom, with a small hole in the bottom of the case.

Why not, right?

or.. Use Dave's nice mounts and have the radiator fan blow air onto the ddc.
I think this might be the best and cleanest solution :up: