PDA

View Full Version : New i7 build WC thoughts

raidflex
03-19-2009, 11:21 PM
Well i'm currently in the process of building a core i7 build. I just ordered a EVGA classified mobo since it finally came in and this weekend I will prob order the cpu, memory and new PSU.

I am just looking for some feedback or suggests for the new build.

My current WC config:

CPU - swiftech GTZ
GPU - EX VGA Supreme (I will be removing the internal metal plate which I have been told is restricting the flow)
Radiator - Swiftech MCR320
Reservoir - Swiftech MICRORES.
Tubing- 1/2in 5/8OD
Compression fittings
Pump- MCP655 (speed setting 5)
Fans - 3 Scythe SFF21F PUSH config

New Core i7 system:

Core i7 920 (maybe stepping D0 if I can find one)
Motherboard - EVGA Classified
GPU - EVGA GTX 280
PSU - Enermax Revolution 1050W
6GB DDR3 (still deciding on brand/speed)
Case - Coolermaster HAF 920

I am planning on WC the CPU and GPU, just as I have in my current configuration which is in my sig.

I want to keep all WC components inside the case.

I only want 1 loop.

Currently with the decently high OC I have on my GPU and CPU I believe the MCR320 is at its limits and with the core i7 it would not be able to handle a high OC on both the CPU and GPU. Currently my load temps on the CPu can get into the 70's.

Currently the MCR320 radiator is mounted on the top of the case, what I was planning on doing was adding a second MCR320 stackable radiator directly under my current one. The sandwich would be mounted also on the top of the case and it should fit without interfering with the mobo (although very close). I would use the same Scythe SFF21F for the sandwich, unless there are any other fans with minimal noise and good air flow.

Now if all this fits it should give me plenty of cooling, at least that's what I hope for.

I may also want to add a second GTX 280 in the future and this is where I am wondering if the two MCR320's in a sandwich would be able to handle the heat load. I realize that having the radiators separate from each other would provide better cooling but it would require additional modding to the case.

I could also possibly add a third 160m radiator on the back of the case, although i do not know if this will fit.

If i did move to two GTX 280's I would end up purchasing 2 FC water blocks (prob EK FC) for the cards, as the EK VGA supreme is restrictive and I don't have to deal with those damn heatsinks on the memory.

One last thing I is I also was wondering if 1 MCP655 would be enough for CPU, 2 FC GPU, and 2 MCR320's?

Any ideas or suggestions is greatly appreciated. I am really looking forward to any input on using two GTX 280's + core i7 (OCd) with 2 MCR320's sandwich, if it really would be be enough. Thanks in advanced!

raidflex
03-20-2009, 01:43 PM
...bump...

Jhors2
03-20-2009, 01:49 PM
2 sandwhiched rads like that should perform pretty well, obviously the more fans you have on it the better it will do for you but that should be the perfect amount of rad. That pump should be okay but another one in tandem with it would probably be advisable. Congrats on the classified thats going to be a beast of a system :up: Oh, and as for the memory, the new G.Skill perfect storm is good stuff, it uses Elpida chips. If you wait a week or two memoryc should have the 7-8-7-20 higher binned Perfect storms in stock, I've seen them clocked to 2300mhz or so. :)

raidflex
03-20-2009, 03:27 PM
2 sandwhiched rads like that should perform pretty well, obviously the more fans you have on it the better it will do for you but that should be the perfect amount of rad. That pump should be okay but another one in tandem with it would probably be advisable. Congrats on the classified thats going to be a beast of a system :up: Oh, and as for the memory, the new G.Skill perfect storm is good stuff, it uses Elpida chips. If you wait a week or two memoryc should have the 7-8-7-20 higher binned Perfect storms in stock, I've seen them clocked to 2300mhz or so. :)

Thanks for the feedback.

More fans would definitely help but the problem is I don't know if I could fit another 3 fans as they would probably hang down to far and interfere with the mobotherboard. They could always be added later on if I have the room anyways.

The other idea is to use higher RPM fans, but I don't want it sound like a 747 is taking off.

I wasn't sure if you meant the sandwich would be enough for possibly 2 GTX 280's or just one with the core i7?

As far as the memory I was looking at this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227381

As far as Gskill goes I have used their memory in many of my systems and have had great success, but the price on that OCZ with the low latency is excellent, either way 2000+MHz memory is very tempting. :D

Hondacity
03-20-2009, 03:39 PM
what is your decently high oc?

4.2ghz with ht on?

raidflex
03-20-2009, 04:23 PM
what is your decently high oc?

4.2ghz with ht on?

Yeah that would be about what my goal is. Or maybe 4.5Ghz with HT off if possible, but this will all depend on how good of a CPU I end up getting.

theseeker
03-20-2009, 04:35 PM
I would suggest the EK FC 280's for your VC's. Just my 2 cents. Good luck:up:

raidflex
03-20-2009, 04:53 PM
I would suggest the EK FC 280's for your VC's. Just my 2 cents. Good luck:up:

Yeah the EK FC's was what I was looking at actually.

raidflex
03-20-2009, 05:22 PM
Wow those EK FC's aren't cheap! $120 or more. I only paid like $50 for my VGA supreme.