PDA

View Full Version : Hacking up my Lian Li

downforce
03-17-2009, 09:35 PM
Trying to fit some W/C into my V1000+II and want to do some 'mods' to it first.

First problem -- I can't get the front IO panel off as I don't have the right size torx bit. Does anyone know what size it is so I can go buy the right size a torx/screw driver.

Secondly -- I was thinking of painting the interior black, except most of the innards are rivetted together. It looks kinda dicely to drill them out as I'm not sure I'll be able to put them back together.

Has anyone done this and how'd it go?

Otherwise, how have you painted the interior of your Lian Li V1x00/V2x00? I guess I could tape it up, but that's a lot of tape and the sanding job will be pretty average as some of the places are hard to reach, not to mention really don't want to screw up the finish on outside of the case.

The more I think about it, the more I'm tempted to leave it bare, but realllly want it to look swish!

Tips/hints please!

LOUISSSSS
03-17-2009, 09:47 PM
i have that same exact case, please don't destroy it! its such a beautiful case.

it also looks very hard to take apart as all the panels are well put together, which is why its so solid.

LogAn'sRun
03-18-2009, 03:37 AM
Hi guys!

I always hate tooting my own horn, but since I have that case, look here : this is my project log (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=176072) for that case and I did everything that you could to the case.

I don't know what size torx screw I needed for the front ports, but if it can wait until the 26th of this month when I get home from my business trip, then I'll let you know. Otherwise, just do what I did, buy several and return the ones that don't fit. It wasn't as small as I thought, little bit in the middle. I was sooooo considering scrapping the whole front ports, but I use the damn USB connection for my camera/ipod all the time, so I felt really forced to keep it. Otherwise I would have just bonded over it with some fill in.

If you have any questions, just shoot me some PM's.

downforce
03-22-2009, 06:08 PM
Whoops I could have sworn I replied to this!

@LOUISSSSS: haha yeah I agree, I really don't want to destroy it, esp seeing it cost me like AUD$250 (when I originally got it).

@LogAn'sRun: That's friggen impressive too (as with so much here!). The extent of my changes will be holes for tubing and screw holes for mountings, plus some extra holes in the MB tray for cable/tubing routing.

And after spending $25 on a Kingchrome Torx screwdriver set, and for future reference, the front screws are T9!

Movieman
03-22-2009, 06:13 PM
Cutting up Lian Li cases is just so wrong!:rofl:

downforce
03-23-2009, 03:52 PM
Hahah sooo true, I really want to cut the top open for the rad/fans but I can't bring myself to do it!!!

This must be one of the slowest projects, just no time to get onto it :(

LogAn'sRun
03-24-2009, 06:57 AM
you can always mount a pa160 in the front underneath the drive bays with very minimal cutting (if you don't want to hack up your case). That's an easy fit and gives almost the same performance as a 120.2. I fit a pa120.1 easily there with no modding needed. I measured the area for the 160, but left it out of my case and put the smaller one in, since i did hack up my lianli and stuck a pa120.2 in the top. Internal of course.

downforce
03-24-2009, 02:38 PM
Well TBH that's what I'm realllllly considering still, selling my MCR320 and get a decent 240mm rad to top mount it. The more I look into the RADBOX solution, the less I like it.

I also picked up a Black Ice 120mm rad for $20 (that's AUD) second hand, but never used, which I might use with a 240. Trying to remember which one it is, I'm pretty sure it's the Black IceŽ Xtreme (http://www.hwlabs.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6&Itemid=35) but could be the Black IceŽ GTX120 (http://www.hwlabs.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=27&Itemid=47)

MomijiTMO
03-24-2009, 05:21 PM
The thread title made me rage.

Have fun playing doctor with your LiLi. :D