PDA

View Full Version : My motherboard/psu connecter is burnt!

DisposableHero
08-05-2002, 07:38 PM
well after having wierd +5 voltage fluctuations i realized that my motherboard connector is having problems and id have to wiggle it around to get it in a right place.

well now i looked closer with a flashlight and see that the plastic is all burned, so i tried unplugging it and it was really hard to pull out. i finnaly got it out and to my surprize all the little plugs that the red wires go in (+5) it is burnt, all black and som platic is melted.

What could be the cause of this?! and what should i do about it?

IFMU
08-05-2002, 07:42 PM
Not real sure, but Id think the PSU may have caused it. That would be my first thought. Have you Vmodded the motherboard any? Or any modifications to it or the PSU?

DisposableHero
08-05-2002, 08:19 PM
vmod and adjusted the +5 pot but not by a crazy amount

IFMU
08-05-2002, 08:30 PM
Well Im going to presume here something in one of those mods there something is wrong and is shorting it out somehow.
About the best I can think of. Its possible that DDTUNG could help a lil better then I.

OPPAINTER
08-05-2002, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by DisposableHero
vmod and adjusted the +5 pot but not by a crazy amount

All right cheeze what did you do this time:D

Strange problem, it's beyond me seeing how both mobo and PSU were modded. I do know my 5v for my PSU is modded and I havn't had a problem, IFMU is probably right about the short.

OPP

DisposableHero
08-05-2002, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by OPPAINTER

All right cheeze what did you do this time:D

Strange problem, it's beyond me seeing how both mobo and PSU were modded. I do know my 5v for my PSU is modded and I havn't had a problem, IFMU is probably right about the short.

OPP

HAHAH GOod one OPP!! made me laugh :D

i ran these mods for months.. like 8 months and nothing.. i just upgraded to a maze3-1 and then it started acting wierd.. my voltages would drop like crazy then i saw that this was happening

Marci
08-06-2002, 10:34 AM
Happened to me once and there literally was no explanation found... I never noticed it until I came to fit a new mobo and noticed the burn marks on the psu connector but it hadn't affected the performance of my system or any voltages etc...
Fitted mobo in another system with a different PSU and no probs.... the psu with the burnt connector is the one I use to this day on my KX7, and have had it since the days of the KA7-100 I think! Not a single problem ever, and no reason why it happened in the first place... the mobo I sold ages ago to a guy I still have contact with and he's never experienced a problem with it yet...

Entuscan
08-06-2002, 10:48 AM
I believe you said in your topic about the 5V rail being bad, that the problem was that the PSU connector wasn't seated correctly on the mobo.

Maybe that is the reason for you'r burnmark's aswell; maybe you pulled of the connector by the wires, accidently pulling the 5V line a bit out of the connector. (just a tad) and having electricity jumping/sparking from the connector to the mobo-pin upon reseating.

Just a theory, but I guess it'll always remaine an X-File. As long as the PSU still works, mobo works, I wouldn't be to concerned about it.

DisposableHero
08-06-2002, 12:05 PM
sometimes it works fine other times it'll just shut itself off, like when u miss place a wire and the system just turns off... thats what happens except fans still run.. so i think the +12 line still is running but +5 just stops

also the red wires on psu get really hot!

Entuscan
08-06-2002, 12:16 PM
Then something might be horribly wrong with your psu mod.

Have you measured the actual voltages coming from the PSU with a multimeter? Try measuring unplugged from the mobo (start up the psu with a wire) an measure it while on the mobo and see how much difference there is.

Is the mod dificult? otherwise try and remove it and see if the problem (heat) persists

Marci
08-06-2002, 03:49 PM
if its turning off then you're shorting a live to a ground somewhere... [I think]

Wolf
08-06-2002, 04:02 PM
Its the poor design of the 5v line on the 8kha+. It doesn't use the 3.3v line for any power so it puts a lot of stress on the 5v line when everything on the board is sucking amps off of it. Look at all the people who had to ditch there enermax psu for this board because they couldn't handle the 5v line power requirements. It's just a bad power design like the 8k7a+ was also. Mine blew in the exact same manner with no voltage mod on the board and it took out my powersupply with it.