PDA

View Full Version : Asus Eee PC

quake6
03-15-2009, 04:01 AM
I recently bought 1000H version and want to upgrade it...
First on my list is SSD disk and that is done. Bought OCZ Core v2.

Second is my memory. Trying to find 4gb stick on ebay (here at my place they don't have any 4gb sticks...) but no go... So only 2gb is an option. Is there any benefits of 800MHz, will it work at 800MHz or it will downgrade to 667MHz or 400MHz?

Third is wireless card. This card what I have in Eee is too weak for example 20m signal. What is the best wireless card for this, I want internal,not USB wireless? This is referent wireless card in Eee. CLICK (http://www.atheros.com/pt/AR5007EG.htm)

Frank M
03-15-2009, 05:10 AM
Putting an OCZ Core in there is quite an overkill -- two of those cost as
much as the whole netbook, don't they? :ROTF:

4GB RAM? What on earth for?
You can't game on 945G; you can't photoshop on Atom; so what for?
If office and web is all you do, then even 1G will do; if you put 2G in,
you'll rarely reach 60% of it's capacity. Hell, I could even make do with
half a gig (yes, 512MB!) earlier this year, when I didn't push one
module well enough in. I didn't even notice for a week or two, office
and web worked fine.
Also, 800MHz is unnecessary, as it will run at 533 anyway.

Not much use in replacing the wifi card, either. It's weak because the
internal antennas (next to the monitor, inside the display's casing) are
weak, and the router/ap signal is weak. Wifi gets stuck in the second
wall. Putting another card in there with higher radio power will not make
much of a difference.
If you want a big difference, then you have to go with external USB wifi
that connects to a bigger external antenna.

NaMcO
03-15-2009, 05:24 AM
I don't think the EEE can handle 4GB, watch out for that. And yes, 800Mhz is a waste, but local reseller here actually has the 800 version cheaper than the 533 so i bought 800 for mine :up:

quake6
03-15-2009, 05:57 AM
Ok,great :)
So only external wifi would help... I need some good USB wifi,but nothing too much expensive... What do you recommend? I need it in my house for example 20m with walls... Asus Eee is connected to Acer H233 and I use it for surfing and RS downloading (on external hard disk)...And OCZ cost me about 100$, so why not...

diredesire
04-21-2009, 09:08 AM
The chipset for the EEE 1000 only supports 2GB Max, as another poster said. As far as wireless cards, I've seen an improvement by switching out cards on my AAO. If anything I recommend getting a Dell wireless card 1390-1395, if anything, you can use it in OSX if the hacking bug ever nips at you :)

benko
04-24-2009, 12:24 PM
what i wanted to aks is do you know will nvidia release they ION platform for netbook(9400m+atom), for now i have only seen netTOP but it doesent have lcd on it?!?

shoota
04-24-2009, 01:56 PM
The chipset for the EEE 1000 only supports 2GB Max, as another poster said. As far as wireless cards, I've seen an improvement by switching out cards on my AAO. If anything I recommend getting a Dell wireless card 1390-1395, if anything, you can use it in OSX if the hacking bug ever nips at you :)

it's nipping at me bad. this might be a dumb question but do all wireless cards for laptops fit in all laptops? are they all interchangable is what i'm asking.

HuffPCair
04-24-2009, 02:09 PM
it's nipping at me bad. this might be a dumb question but do all wireless cards for laptops fit in all laptops? are they all interchangable is what i'm asking.

Depends on what wireless card you are talking about. There are USB, PCMCIA that will work with most new laptops and some old ones since most laptops come with those slots nowadays.

Also it sounds like you are wanting this netbook to be some kind of performance machine. You are not going to get very far and by the time you upgrade everything you are going to have a different laptop.

If you wanted a performance laptop you should of just bought one.

oohms
04-24-2009, 06:09 PM
Some good upgrades for a 1000H

2gb ram
500gb hdd (this is probably the best upgrade.. you can put heaps of movies and music on it)
wireless card eg: intel 5300 mini pci-e and an extra internal antenna

shoota
04-24-2009, 06:19 PM
Depends on what wireless card you are talking about. There are USB, PCMCIA that will work with most new laptops and some old ones since most laptops come with those slots nowadays.

Also it sounds like you are wanting this netbook to be some kind of performance machine. You are not going to get very far and by the time you upgrade everything you are going to have a different laptop.

If you wanted a performance laptop you should of just bought one.

woah easy there. i assumed (which i shouldn't have) that since we were talking about netbooks, specifically the 1000 series of eee pc's and dell 1390-1395 (which is internal) that my question would have been easily taken as to referring to these types of wireless cards. Why does wanting a mac compatible wireless card make me seem like i want a high performance netbook. I know what i bought when i got my 1000he.

SO... more precisely, Do all internal wireless cards (dell 1390, intel 3495, etc etc) have the same interface? e.g. Are they interchangable?

oohms
04-24-2009, 06:38 PM
SO... more precisely, Do all internal wireless cards (dell 1390, intel 3495, etc etc) have the same interface? e.g. Are they interchangable?

Theres mini pci and mini pci-e.. as long as you get a mini pci-e one, you'll be fine

shoota
04-24-2009, 06:48 PM
Theres mini pci and mini pci-e.. as long as you get a mini pci-e one, you'll be fine

ok thank you. anyone wanna chime in on a good mac compatible mini pci-e wireless card for a 1000he?

RejZoR
04-24-2009, 11:40 PM
...You can't game on 945G...

Thats so not true. Here is a proof (www.rejzor.tk):
http://my.opera.com/rejzor/blog/gaming-on-acer-aspire-one

No gaming on netbooks? Sure you can't play Crysis on it, but brand new games aren't the only thing out there you know. And some quite demanding games run very good on netbooks.

benko
04-25-2009, 12:52 AM
hmm i have heard sonwhere that you can even play crysis on gna950(at leates 640x480),not sure,some says that it is possible to overclock i...

that is why i asking for 9400m and atom,will it come out?

RejZoR
04-25-2009, 01:27 AM
Crysis on GMA950 ? No way. I've tried Far Cry with everything set to lowest possible and it was like 3 frames per second.
Crysis was no better either. I also wouldn't expect too much from GeForce 9400M. It may play HD video better than GMA950, but gaming performance is maybe slightly better.
It's just too bad Intel doesn't updates graphic drivers for GMA950 (945MG chipset). They haven't updated the drivers for a year now.
I'm sure many games that are on my "don't work" list would work with updated drivers.

You can overclock GMA950 with GMABooster tool.

benko
04-25-2009, 01:59 AM
have you tried trackmania and toca3??
and how far battery can survire in full usage??

about 9400m it can run crysis/cod4 so it is much better than 950.....

RejZoR
04-25-2009, 02:14 AM
Last time i tried games on my sister's Acer, it had massive problems with anything more demanding. Though there is a resolution factor where netbooks have advantage because of 1024x600 resolution where normal laptop had 1280x800...

Tekdemon
04-25-2009, 02:31 AM
If you wait till June the Ion based netbooks will come out and they should be able to play some of the newer games OK.

But I wouldn't expect crysis to run anything near playable lol.

benko
04-25-2009, 02:31 AM
so you dont know is trackmania and toca3 are playable??

benko
04-25-2009, 02:36 AM
If you wait till June the Ion based netbooks will come out and they should be able to play some of the newer games OK.

But I wouldn't expect crysis to run anything near playable lol.
than waiting for june,i was thought of getting sony vaio p http://club.vaio.sony.co.uk/clubvaio/gb/en/vaiopseries/page.jsp , but gma is too slow for games

can i overclock atom z520(@1.33GHz) and ddr2(533 stock) ram inside??

RejZoR
04-28-2009, 05:22 AM
Well, you can track playable games for ACER Aspire One here:

I'm constantly updating the list which is pretty long already and i'm planning to test even more games.
In general this should apply to all netbooks that have N270 CPU, 1GB of RAM and GMA950 GFX, regardless of vendor (ASUS, MSI, ACER etc).

benko
04-28-2009, 08:17 AM
i have heard that intel is planing soon new cpus for netbooks??

saaya
04-28-2009, 08:39 PM
yes, intel will have much better atom chips very soon, so better wait.
they are also releasing much better ULV c2d chips, AND there are very nice i5 mobile chips coming that might be interesting as well...
so i recommend to wait, unless a current netbook is fast enough for you.

about wifi usb sticks, most are the same, and they suck... they get hot and then crap out...
i tried several ones and didnt like any of them particularly... finding a good wifi usb stick is eally not easy...
and yes, the antennas in the eee pc suck big time... other netbooks are usually better, and they use a better wifi chip/card too, asus has some contract with a certain wifi supplier, and it really sucks... when i worked at amd i remember they were starting this certified NIC programme for laptops, where you had a sticker with 3 parts, cpu, gpu and wifi, basically to compete with intel centrino. they had to LOWER the min requirements for wifi to meet their spec 2 times cause asus insisted on their crappy suppliers chips...

shoota
04-28-2009, 09:29 PM
they are also releasing much better ULV c2d chips, AND there are very nice i5 mobile chips coming that might be interesting as well...

about wifi usb sticks, most are the same, and they suck... they get hot and then crap out...
i tried several ones and didnt like any of them particularly... finding a good wifi usb stick is eally not easy...
and yes, the antennas in the eee pc suck big time... other netbooks are usually better, and they use a better wifi chip/card too, asus has some contract with a certain wifi supplier, and it really sucks... when i worked at amd i remember they were starting this certified NIC programme for laptops, where you had a sticker with 3 parts, cpu, gpu and wifi, basically to compete with intel centrino. they had to LOWER the min requirements for wifi to meet their spec 2 times cause asus insisted on their crappy suppliers chips...

crap. how come in the dozens of reviews i read i saw nothing but good things about the wifi? then when i get my eeepc it can't get full strength in my apartement unless i'm right next to the router?!? i'm kinda ticked off at this

Malk4vi4n
04-29-2009, 05:02 AM
Just don't stick 4gb in an EeePC! U won't be able to use it 'couse Atom only supports 32-bit OS, so u'll be stuck with something like 3-3.2gb.
I have DDR800 in my eeepc but it runs at 533 for some reason so, more waste of money unless u plan to do some crazy overclocks and need some headroom.
Well, nuf said. EeePC is not a gaming machine but u really need to game with it you can try streaming your games from other computer withStreammygame (www.streammygame.com). Other than that, stay away from 3d, stick to old school games (worms and stuff) and u'll be fine.

Runnin 6hrs+ of battery under Windows 7! :up:

benko
04-29-2009, 06:05 AM

do you know aproximtely when we can expect new atoms june,july???

and ULV c2d it will be damn expensive...i think

benko
05-03-2009, 01:18 AM
Well, you can track playable games for ACER Aspire One here:

I'm constantly updating the list which is pretty long already and i'm planning to test even more games.
In general this should apply to all netbooks that have N270 CPU, 1GB of RAM and GMA950 GFX, regardless of vendor (ASUS, MSI, ACER etc).
can you try toca3 and gtr2??

diredesire
05-13-2009, 03:22 PM
ok thank you. anyone wanna chime in on a good mac compatible mini pci-e wireless card for a 1000he?

Sorry, I tagged this thread a while back and then forgot about it...

Yeah, as long as you get a mini pcie card, you should be fine. Go for one with a broadcomm chipset, and you'll be golden. Dell 1390, or Intel 3945 on e-bay should lead you in the right direction. They typically run around $20 shipped.

shoota
05-18-2009, 10:00 PM
Sorry, I tagged this thread a while back and then forgot about it...

Yeah, as long as you get a mini pcie card, you should be fine. Go for one with a broadcomm chipset, and you'll be golden. Dell 1390, or Intel 3945 on e-bay should lead you in the right direction. They typically run around $20 shipped.

thanks i ordered one off ebay, can't wait to try it out. anyone know how i could go about getting better wifi reception? how do i add an additional antennae?

quake6
05-19-2009, 12:14 AM
So that Intel 3945 is better than on board wireless? Is there anything better?

What about extra internal antenna? What do you recommend? Intel 5300 have 3 connection point for antenna, will that work?

I won't buy another netbook cause I have contract on this one, so just want to upgrade this as much as it can. Wireless is my first thing on my list

diredesire
05-20-2009, 08:57 AM
I can't really speak much on performance, due to the fact that I don't really do any performance testing. I've run both the 3945 and the dell solutions. I ran those two because they have OSX support. The 5300 should work, but I'd wait a little bit, there is a wifi 1000 card coming out which carries much of the same features, but is cheaper because of it having an integrated chip. I'm not sure on the release date, though...

Edit: I should have mentioned that the wifi1000 is based on the 5300 and is an itnel part.

shoota
05-20-2009, 09:29 AM
i still want to know how to properly add another antennae to boost signal reception. Is it even possible?

quake6
05-20-2009, 09:41 AM
I'm also interested in that :D

Frank M
05-20-2009, 10:54 AM
do you know aproximtely when we can expect new atoms june,july???

and ULV c2d it will be damn expensive...i think

Unfortunately it's Q4 09-Q1 10...
C2S and C2D (and C2-Cel) is going down in prices at least...

how do i add an additional antennae?

i still want to know how to properly add another antennae to boost signal reception. Is it even possible?

a.) a card with higher output
b.) you'll need some modding, add a bmc-connector somewhere on the
side or the back where you have space, run a wire from the wifi-cards
empty wire-slot to the bmc connector, and when you need higher
sensitivity, screw in a dipole antenna (cheap, small, available at a lot
of places and ebay). Won't win a fashion award, but it'll be much more
effective than stock.

shoota
05-20-2009, 08:19 PM
I'm not gonna lie that seems a little intimidating. I'm surprised no one has done it tho. Googling doesn't bring much up either.

smee
05-20-2009, 10:00 PM
Getting a 1000HE tomorrow or friday. Ordering a 2GB Crucial stick, 320GB Seagate as well.
Plan to run XP, W7 and OSX.
Was planning on getting that Dell 1390 Wifi card as well... any other suggestions? I'd like wireless N (so to be backwards compatible with b/g), and I'd like good signal (the longer the distance the better).

I plan to have a small compact system that is compatible among all things in the I.T. world, as fast as possible as well.
Of course this netbook will not be running intense applications, just simple stuff, but I work in the I.T. department and I need compatibility with everything as well as computing speed.

benko
05-21-2009, 12:24 AM
not sure why you all love this 1000He i woulg go for lenovo s10 or lenovo s10-2 ;)

but in my opinion wait for new chipset(june) it will have gma 4000 :D

quake6
05-21-2009, 01:51 AM
Lenovo this, Lenovo that... Chill out man... Both have Atom 1.6GHz, 1gb and 160gb, 10'' screen, both have very similar design and with all of that eee is cheaper... So is that answer to your question?

And you would wait for new chipset... They will PROBABLY be released in june, about month to put some netbooks in the market, then it'll be high priced and then again for couple month would be released new chipset, cpu, etc... So we always can wait, but till then?

This isn't for games. I'm using 1000HGo for little office 2007 and for surfing... For that it was build and I'm happy with it... Just want stronger wifi card

shoota
05-21-2009, 12:23 PM
I'm with you quake. the 1000he was the best netbook out when i needed one so that's what i got. For those of you looking to get osx on there check out smallcomputing.net. they have alot of good info to help you out.

benko
05-22-2009, 12:26 AM
not so long...http://www.slashgear.com/asus-eee-pc-1000hv-with-ati-radeon-hd-3450-graphics-2244542/

finally better gpu,this one is mine ;)

and why lenovo.....its smaller and battery is bettter

oohms
05-22-2009, 02:44 AM

You can buy internal wifi antennas off ebay

smee
05-22-2009, 11:01 AM
Oky doky, so I went and picked up my 1000HE yesterday, $409.00 out the door, dang this machine is amazing. I love it.

Got home did some research and ordered the following:

Seagate Momentus 7200.3 ST9320421AS 320GB 7200 RPM (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148336) - $69.99
Crucial 2GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 800 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148162) - $23.99 (but I realize it won't run at 800, probably 533)
Atheros AR5BXB72 AR5008 802.11n Mini PCIe Wireless Card (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280331965164&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&viewitem=&salenotsupported) - $29.71 (for full 300m wireless computing, and it works out of the box with OSX)
Third U.FL Antenna for 802.11n Wireless N Card (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200344475221&viewitem=&salenotsupported) - $7.50 (eeePC only has two antenna's, wireless N uses three)

Grand total: $554.03 for a maxed out super small, super light, awesome netbook. :D

I will keep ya'll up to date on this adventure, I plan to put XP, W7 and OSX all on the 320GB HD.

not so long...http://www.slashgear.com/asus-eee-pc-1000hv-with-ati-radeon-hd-3450-graphics-2244542/

finally better gpu,this one is mine ;)

Well dang. I got my 1000HE yesterday and they come out with a better one today!??!?!
Geeeez.....
But for me, I don't need graphics power on this thing, but what I do need is the longest lasting battery time, 9.5hours, the 1000HV states 5 or so hours. Not enough for me.

quake6
05-22-2009, 12:16 PM
Can you please picture how you add that antenna? :) To see if it is hard, tnx

smee
05-22-2009, 12:31 PM
Can you please picture how you add that antenna? :) To see if it is hard, tnx

absolutely, when I receive the card and antenna I will do a detailed picture guide, really quite simple... :)

shoota
05-22-2009, 08:43 PM
so let me understand this. you got a wireless n card, and you're going to add a third antennae to it? does that mean you lose the 'n' functionality?

if i'm not mistaken adding antennae doesn't help the signal power of the cards. something about adding juice or power will help it. correct me if i'm wrong.

smee
05-23-2009, 11:58 AM
so let me understand this. you got a wireless n card, and you're going to add a third antennae to it? does that mean you lose the 'n' functionality?

if i'm not mistaken adding antennae doesn't help the signal power of the cards. something about adding juice or power will help it. correct me if i'm wrong.

There are Wireless n cards that have two antenna's, and ones that run on three. The difference is the newer Atheros AR5008 chipset which used a third antenna and it does boost speed, it makes it a 300mpbs connection. :)

shoota
05-23-2009, 02:28 PM
OK that makes sense, it boosts speeds. But my problem isn't speed it's range and connectivity. As i'm writing this my connection is off and on while the person next to me is full strength, five bars. i barely have one. another antenna isn't going to help that. so how do we improve range?

smee
05-23-2009, 04:36 PM
OK that makes sense, it boosts speeds. But my problem isn't speed it's range and connectivity. As i'm writing this my connection is off and on while the person next to me is full strength, five bars. i barely have one. another antenna isn't going to help that. so how do we improve range?

With a stronger antenna. I'm planning a mod for later this summer to use that third antenna port for for one of THESE (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290096282140&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=&salenotsupported) cables, and have a detachable antenna that is external from the netbook, like THIS (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390053696345&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=&salenotsupported). But probably a different antenna thats more like 15dBi, the one I linked is just for example and is only 7dBi.
I'd like to have a setup that has a wireless range of 2-5 miles. :)

shoota
05-23-2009, 08:45 PM
wow that's pretty serious. but the real question is, is it os x compatible? :)

smee
05-23-2009, 09:30 PM
wow that's pretty serious. but the real question is, is it os x compatible? :)

If the wireless card itself is OSX compatible (which it is) then yes the antenna will be compatible. :)

And I've done a ton of research on putting OSX on the 1000HE, lots of positive results, methinks it will be a breeze. :D

shoota
05-24-2009, 07:15 AM
methinks i've already done it. it works great. i can't wait to see your little antenna mod, i hope it works out. i wonder if just adding a new wireless card (specifically an Apple branded broadcom card) will help the range by itself? whaddya think?

smee
05-24-2009, 09:44 AM
Yea probably adding an Apple wireless card would work great, the one I bought is one Apple uses in there macbooks. :)

shoota
05-24-2009, 02:28 PM
yeah that's the one i ordered too, from ebay. then two days later i found a dell 1390 on craigslist for $10! Unfortunatley i'm out of town so i have to wait to see my wife to get it. I hate waiting!! haha i just hope that the switch in cards strengthens my reception cuz this card in here now freaking blows. you got that card installed yet?

smee
05-24-2009, 03:58 PM
yeah that's the one i ordered too, from ebay. then two days later i found a dell 1390 on craigslist for $10! Unfortunatley i'm out of town so i have to wait to see my wife to get it. I hate waiting!! haha i just hope that the switch in cards strengthens my reception cuz this card in here now freaking blows. you got that card installed yet?

Yep! I thought about the dell 1390, but the Atheros is actually better, upon some research, so if you already ordered the Atheros then keep that one! It works out of the box with OSX and is faster/better. :)

My card should be here sometime this week! The HD and Ram get here tuesday or wednesday. :)

quake6
05-25-2009, 04:47 AM
So Atheros is probably the best solution? I guess I'll have to order it heh

shoota
05-25-2009, 08:31 AM
Yep! I thought about the dell 1390, but the Atheros is actually better, upon some research, so if you already ordered the Atheros then keep that one! It works out of the box with OSX and is faster/better. :)

My card should be here sometime this week! The HD and Ram get here tuesday or wednesday. :)

Atheros? i was under the impression that Apple used Broadcom cards. The one i ordered is an Apple branded broadcom card.

shoota
05-27-2009, 03:28 PM
alright got my apple branded wifi card in today and got it installed. worked ootb no problem and i'm SO VERY HAPPY to report that it gets MUCH better reception than the stock card. I'm typing from my eeeMac right now. good luck guys

WaterFlex
05-28-2009, 12:29 PM
Going to buy 901 model.

smee
05-28-2009, 02:35 PM
YAY, got my 320GB HD, 2GB RAM, Atheros AR5008 and the extra Antenna in the mail yesterday and today!! :D

Apple currently uses the Atheros AR5008 (aka AR5BXB72) Wireless N card in there macbooks. But I know they have or still use Broadcom cards in some models, not sure which. Glad it worked out for you!
I'll post pictures and results when I get it together and stuff! :)

shoota
05-29-2009, 08:43 AM
alright cool. i just noticed last night that my fan wasn't working and the bottom of my eeeMac is getting hot. i hope i didn't break it but i'm going to take it apart again and have a look. keep your fingers crossed

smee
05-29-2009, 10:59 AM
alright cool. i just noticed last night that my fan wasn't working and the bottom of my eeeMac is getting hot. i hope i didn't break it but i'm going to take it apart again and have a look. keep your fingers crossed

It runs passive unless the temp gets hotter.... so basically it it will be off unless you start doing some big processing power....

or maybe i'm wrong lol....

BTW, take apart and installing the wireless was Successful!! installed W7, installed OSX (iDeneb v1.3, using this guide: http://smallcomputing.net/2009/02/25/how-to-install-os-x-on-asus-eee-pc-1000he-netbook/) and i can dual boot no problem.
Going to install XP and Linux as well. :)

Also, the wireless card is automatically seen in OSX and works swell in windows too! It's also MUCH faster than the stock card... :) i'm happy

shoota
05-30-2009, 09:54 AM
First off smee congrats! I haven't braved the dual boot thing yet but when i get some more time i will. right now leopard is working FAR better than XP was for me. Unfortunately i think you're wrong about the fan. I took my lappy apart yesterday and found that my dumb butt forgot to plug the fan back in :) So it's working now but it runs at full speed all the time.

What issues (big or small) are you having in os x?

right now mine are: Battery estimates are off and the mic doesn't work. both should be fixable tho

quake6
06-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Any pics? :)

shoota
06-02-2009, 01:22 PM
i can prolly post some in a couple days. Anything specific? I wish smee would chime back in.

shoota
06-09-2009, 11:24 PM
Sorry this took so long.. i bricked the previous install and had to start over :)

http://i42.tinypic.com/2wdq3qc.jpg

DragoonXX
10-14-2010, 04:42 PM
I know this is bumping an old thread, but I've been seriously considering replacing the wireless card in my eee 1000HE...stupid thing doesn't really like connecting to wireless at my college, even when it's reporting up to three bars...most of the time it's picking up a signal with around ~-90dBm *as reported by inSSIDer* and that's only in very selective places...aka...right between my two monitors, move it back closer to the front of my desk...it won't connect.
so...anyone got any teardowns/guides/recommended parts for better wireless for a 1000HE?
mine's using an AR928x card, and mine happens to get far worse reception than my mom's 1005HA with the same card (and I've tried the same drivers too), I'll grab the full version from the sticker next time I remove the battery
If the card has about the same power consumption (or lower) than the current card, thats a huge bonus

shoota
10-14-2010, 05:46 PM
the stock wireless card in the 1000he sucks big time. i have a dell 1390 that's supposed to work well with os x. basically everything i used to get os x working i got from here:
http://smallcomputing.net/forums/index.php/board,5.0.html

DragoonXX
10-14-2010, 09:57 PM
well, I'm not using osX...im using windows XP

shoota
10-15-2010, 06:45 AM
Oh. Well my advice still applies. My broad com based wifi card was better in xp too. It's very well worth the effort to put it in

DragoonXX
10-15-2010, 09:52 AM
I was looking slightly more along the lines of an intel card/chipset, I've only ever had ONE good broadcom wireless card- and that was the one in my R4000, and even it's range wasn't phenomenal, vs intel cards that have been fantastic

shoota
10-15-2010, 02:26 PM
ok then get an intel card

DragoonXX
10-15-2010, 11:48 PM
any suggestions as to what to look at/for...notebook wireless reviews seem to be very few and far between

LaMpiR
10-17-2010, 02:31 PM
Did anyone try 1215N?