PDA

View Full Version : Wake up with a BANG

RPGWiZaRD
03-11-2009, 03:24 AM
This morning I woke up at 7 AM as school starts 8 AM and tired as usual at this time, I get up from bed and when I turn on the lights in my room I get surprised by a loud bang and everything goes dark in my room, including the computer which runs pretty much 24/7. Fuse for the room went off. Was pretty shocked that triggering on a lamp would cause a fuse to go off, I mean I know my overclocked comp draws quite a lot power etc but still. :p:

Then I exchanged it, it's a 10A / 500V fuse and everything was normal except computer wouldn't turn on normally again, damn it was my first thoughts, wondering if it was then either PSU, motherboard or RAM that would have broken after that short circuit, when the fans would go on normally but comp would turn off after a couple of secs and then boot and again and turn off again etc. But then I suspect RAM and luckily I've stocked up 2 extra pairs of CellShock D9GMH kits. But first I checked the RAM sticks that were in use, first one worked ok but 2nd didn't. Bye bye lovely CellShock PC2-8000 / DDR2-1000 4-4-4-12 stick. :(

I've also got spare CellShock PC2-6400 4-4-4-12 kit and PC2-8000 5-5-5-12 kit but never tried the latter yet and to my suprise I was able to run exactly same settings with this kit as I used with the expensier D9GKX kit.

I also noticed my 500GB LaCie disk wasn't showing up and was initially a bit worried but then it appeared in Device manager with yellow questionmark indicating a problem and I checked the LaCie homepage and quickly found it's an issue when you pull the power without first turning off the drive and simply you had to reconnect all cables and it would boot normally again and so it did!

So all in all I guess I got away fairly easily, "only" loosing a CellShock PC2-8000 4-4-4-12 stick. So far I've been lucky regarding component failures and such so it ought to happen for me sooner or later. I'm still a bit angry at the circuit setup in this house though cuz there's something not right here as the lamps explode more often than they should, already changed 3 or 4 lamps in 1½ year when living in this student appartment. Perhaps it's time to either get a anti-short circuit protection for comp or simply give a call to the responsible people for these appartments. In my parents house we use a better system which is electric powered and there's switches that automaticly turn off when a certain part of the net gets overloaded, no need to deal with the outmoded fuses.

SoulsCollective
03-11-2009, 04:24 AM
UPS :up:

Particle
03-11-2009, 05:43 AM
New buildings almost exclusively use breakers, but if you're in an apartment building there's a good chance it has been around longer than this trend. Sorry to hear yours uses fuses. Definitely invest in a high quality UPS or at the very least a line conditioner. Maybe both.

[XC] Hicks121
03-11-2009, 05:51 AM
Actually fuses are better than circuit breakers. When the fuse trips, it shuts off the circuit, no questions asked. I have seen many breakers not trip at the rated amps, get hot, sometimes even start fires.

When I 1st moved into my house, had exactly this happen. My computer area is set up in front of the panel. I was sitting there running some benches & heard a strange buzzing noise coming from the panel. Low & behold it a a CB trying to trip, but it isnt. Thru my amp-probe on it & it was drawing 27amps on a 15amp CB. Good thing im an electrician & had a bunch of spares. The wire going into the breaker was welded to the lug & the insulation on the wire was starting to melt. I had to split up & add another circuit to get this right. Also discovered that all the neutrals in the house were tied together....ugh.

knissel
03-11-2009, 06:31 AM
its the power supply