PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Display/GPU Problem?

AnXioZ
03-09-2009, 03:44 PM
Hello there, my apologies if this is the wrong section.

Yesterday I left my computer for 3 minutes unatended, and when I returned I saw that the screen was on but there was no picture. Something like a blank screensaver. So I restarted, but the screen still was not displaying anything. There is only backlight with absolutely no image whatsoever.
So I plugged in the laptop today to an external monitor, and the monitor displayed bars of RGB lines all over the place. So I am wonderring what do you guys think could have went wrong? Do you think it could be the GPU, bad connection? I can see that there is some HD activity going on through the led but nothing loads or makes a sound. :(

I am really tight on time and I wasnt even able to cork it open, and I would really appreciate it if someone could give me a valuable advice on this one.

Thank you in advance!

Cooper
03-09-2009, 04:29 PM
GPU or the motherboard.

Angmaar
03-09-2009, 04:39 PM
It could be overheating or your display is dead.

Angmaar
03-09-2009, 05:12 PM
This could help http://www.techspot.com/vb/showpost.php?p=184328&postcount=2

AnXioZ
03-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Thanx for the replies guys!
The laptop is an HP DV6000t, with a 7400go.
I tried the source switch button, and an external monitor, but with no luck. The output on the monitor can be described as different spectra lines of green, blue and white color.
I fear that it most probably is the gpu. But that would imply buying a mobo, which would cost me 300$ or such.

Frank M
03-11-2009, 11:28 AM
no picture
external monitor, and the monitor displayed bars of RGB lines all over the place.

GPU, I'm sorry to say.

There's some good news, though: this is not an integrated GPU, so
there's a chance you don't need to buy a new mobo, just an mxm
module. Check which type (mxm1-2-3) fits your mobo, check which
cards are supported, and fish out a used / clearance sale one.
If you have time.

But if you are really short on time, then I'm afraid you are stuck.

AnXioZ
03-11-2009, 02:00 PM
You are right Frank, it is the GPU. However the GPU is actually soldered to the motherboard from what I can tell. New motherboard with the same GPU would cost me about 150$.
The thing is that I found out that I am not the only person with this problem. Looks like NVIDIA has released a public notice that the 7 series chipsets were defective and overheating issues resulted in GPU detaching itself from the motherboard (roughly speaking). HP has released an extended service, and they claim that they will replace your motherboard if you meet certain criteria; only specific model numbers are eligible which sounds rubbish since the problem is in the GPU, not the components combination.
I have found a dozen blogs and websites, which criticize HP's approach of dealing with the problem. http://hplies.com has some tips on how to deal with the blindfolded HP customer support, and I will be contacting a case manager. If I get lucky I will get my new mobo, but if not, I have to pay 150$ for someone else's mistake. :(

Frank M
03-12-2009, 11:11 AM
However the GPU is actually soldered to the motherboard from what I can tell.
New motherboard with the same GPU would cost me about 150$.
NVIDIA
only specific model numbers are eligible

Sorry to hear that.

Compared to others, it's not even that expensive, especially with GPU.

Yeah, just by reading the first post, I was quite certain that it was an
nvidia chip -- see last year's big scandal. Many notebook chips, and
maybe even desktop chips may be affected, but nv still refuses to
tell which ones, and forbade other companies to tell. If you take this
into consideration, you'll realize that it's not hp ripping you off, but
nvidia, as hp can't tell you directly which model #s and serial number
ranges are affected.